With the change of development schedule and actually setting out to implement desired changes on the v12 base build that is now released, some decent progress is made in terms of version 12.1 - Beta 4 is a public beta for the curious and daring, to have a preview of what is to come.
Notable changes in this version compared to 12.0 release:
- Some changes to memory handling which potentially keep memory use better within bounds, and disabled a redundant library with hazardous code
- Additional often-requested options in the Option window under the Tabs category to reduce the need for about:config editing (Insert related tabs next to current tab, and closing the window with the last tab in a window or not)
- A drop-down choice in the same screen to configure what to show in a new tab: a blank tab, the Pale Moon start page or the "QuickDial" page.
- Dynamic smooth scrolling algorithm for mouse wheel, arrow keys, PgUp/PgDn/Space, etc.
- Smooth scrolling enabled by default (If you don't like it, disable it under Options -> Advanced -> tab General -> [ ] Use smooth scrolling)
- Some color back in the navigation controls - People have enjoyed color monitors for decades, so this whole move to grey-on-grey UI elements is odd and makes things rather drab. Having some indicative color on controls also improves their intuitiveness, so hopefully a well-received improvement.
- Update to the status bar code to fix pop-up status not switching sides on mouse-over, as well as using a safer allocation/destruction mechanism for controls (potentially preventing memory leaks)
This thread on the forum will be used to record feedback to this public beta 4 only; please keep generic support requests out of this thread and in the appropriate other boards/topics. Feedback is appreciated on the changes listed above and any beta-specific issues not found in 12.0-release or any other version.
Any posts specific to this beta posted elsewhere on the forum are likely not going to be taken into account. Please do help keep things organized.
You can download the beta from the work-in-progress page on the Pale Moon website.
Installer SHA-1: 2cc6a4ace4840f6c7dab11e9c64f999c35770da4
ZIP SHA-1: a9d89d18e36573d64d681af9d0eabdf37d7b4cee