Pale Moon 26 public beta 4 feedback thread

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Pale Moon 26 public beta 4 feedback thread

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-12-16, 10:45

This thread is reserved for feedback given on the public beta 4 of Pale Moon 26.

Before you post a new issue, please:
  • Check if someone else has already reported it in this thread. Duplicate reports will serve no purpose, and only make keeping things organized harder. Duplicate reports may be removed by moderators.
  • Check if the issue found is specific to this beta! If the problem can be reproduced on the current 25.8.* version of Pale Moon as well, then your report does not belong in this thread.
  • Check your blood pressure. If it is too high, please take half an hour to relax and then re-evaluate your need for posting ;)
If you want to discuss specific issues found, you can also do that in this thread, but please make your posts count. Take your time to write more than a single sentence (or 2) and kindly keep "me too" posts out of this thread. Thanks in advance.

Please direct feedback about the new XSS filter to its own thread and don't post here.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

leomate

Re: Pale Moon 26 public beta 4 feedback thread

Unread post by leomate » 2015-12-16, 15:04

I just notice now if this add-on doesn't work anymore ( Version 0.0.7.1-signed and below that still mark compatible)
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... /versions/

Anyway, is that possible to add that feature built in to Pale Moon and add option switch?

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2015-12-16, 18:19

leomate wrote:Anyway, is that possible to add that feature built in to Pale Moon and add option switch?
I think it still works, I do have it, as well.
Tested on multiple sites, but I don't know what you are referring to.
Can you give me an example site?

See if it works in Palemoon 25.8.1. If it doesn't then the problem shouldn't be stated here.

Edit: It works for me on both versions. I am thinking that you don't have the plugin set to "Ask to Activate."

leomate

Unread post by leomate » 2015-12-17, 03:51

megaman wrote:
leomate wrote:Anyway, is that possible to add that feature built in to Pale Moon and add option switch?
I think it still works, I do have it, as well.
Tested on multiple sites, but I don't know what you are referring to.
Can you give me an example site?

See if it works in Palemoon 25.8.1. If it doesn't then the problem shouldn't be stated here.

Edit: It works for me on both versions. I am thinking that you don't have the plugin set to "Ask to Activate."
It work in PM25, but not in PM26.

See this scenario
Tabs 1
- Flash 1
- Flash 2
- Flash 3

in PM25, you can enable Flash 1 without enable Flash 2/3. but in PM26, if you wanna Enable Flash1, it enable Flash 2/3 as well it ask permission to activate flash in location bar (same like me not using that add-on and just set ask to activate in plugins menu)

van p
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by van p » 2015-12-21, 00:21

What happened to the rounded corners on the tabs? Not a real big deal, but they were there on b3, and they look nicer than the square corners. An even more folder-type tab appearance would be even better. Thanks.
Windows 10 Pro x64 v22H2 8GB i5-4570|Pale Moon v33.0.2 x64

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-12-21, 01:22

van p wrote:What happened to the rounded corners on the tabs? Not a real big deal, but they were there on b3, and they look nicer than the square corners. An even more folder-type tab appearance would be even better. Thanks.
If you are using Windows 10, then this is by design -- the rounded corners didn't fit well in the overall "square is the new round" on Windows 10 and in general Pale Moon will always adapt as much as possible to the OS it runs on (because that has been our users' clear preference).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2015-12-31, 20:15

So far, no big problems, runs quite stable.

_Poke_

Unread post by _Poke_ » 2016-01-03, 00:35

I've been using my own PM build since the 22nd, so 8 days ahead of this (last commit updated HSTS) and it's been running wonderfully!

One slight thing I've noticed is that the tabs seem to be styled in a slightly different way which overrides my Stylish scripts (or rather, fails to be overridden by them). Removing the borders with border-style:none no longer works. This would be related to the theme changes for Windows 10, right? (Even if I am running this on Windows 7?)
I looked through omni.ja\chrome\toolkit\skin\classic\aero\global\tabbox.css and it looks like the tab borders are still defined the standard way (at least for width and style), but I assume this is overridden by an Aero specific rule somewhere else?

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2016-01-03, 11:22

Try border:0!important and box-shadow:none!important

loxodont
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by loxodont » 2016-01-05, 09:25

Hm, maybe it's only my personal configuration, but I still see that the upper right "Minimize" button is being cut, when the "Menu Bar" element in PM is disabled - my default on Win7-32.
I posted a pic in beta3 thread p.1.

BTW, as a question, is the dark Pale Moon button gonna stay in the final version?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-01-05, 09:39

I think it would be your personal configuration -- I can't reproduce the issue, at least.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2016-01-05, 09:47

@loxodont: This look like a theme problem. Test the standard theme.

loxodont
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by loxodont » 2016-01-05, 13:02

Oh yes, switching to the default theme shows Minimize at full size. On every LW theme some pixels got eaten.
I should switch to a Pac Man theme methinks :)
greets

Hugga

Unread post by Hugga » 2016-01-08, 07:04

loxodont wrote:Oh yes, switching to the default theme shows Minimize at full size. On every LW theme some pixels got eaten.
My 2 cents... I wonder how many themes might result in unnecessary bug reports when the browser updates itself?

I had this problem too for Brush Metal (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/brush-metal/) with this beta and tabs on top enabled. For Windows 7, the left hand edge of the minimise button is shaved a few pixels, but only when the browser is maximised. When windowed, the buttons are fine with the same theme.

The theme appears OK in all positions in Windows 10 however, so I conclude in fixing Windows 10 UI, Palemoon is now partially broken Windows 7 and could drive away a lot of users if their favorite theme no longer looks perfect.

I don't know if there is some kind of fix you can implement to alleviate this, maybe a small adjustment to the transparency? If not, maybe a note about themes in a FAQ recommending to try the default theme first before reporting bugs, and get an updated/different theme if the default works OK.

win7-7
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by win7-7 » 2016-01-08, 07:34

loxodont wrote:Oh yes, switching to the default theme shows Minimize at full size. On every LW theme some pixels got eaten.
I can reproduce this bug with many ( if not all) personas / lightweight themes with maximized browser. It does happen regardless if tabs are on bottom or on top. Bug doesn't seems to affect full themes as far as quick test tells. It also happens with safe mode and with new profile. I haven't noticed this bug before because I don't have need to use personas and haven't tested them often in past.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-01-08, 10:49

Hugga wrote:Palemoon is now partially broken Windows 7 and could drive away a lot of users if their favorite theme no longer looks perfect.
I think you're overreacting about a minor visual bug here, that can (and will) be addressed. There's obviously a small issue with how the Mozilla hack (to cut away space from the theme toolbar background to show the underlying buttons) handles full-screen. That doesn't mean "Pale Moon is broken" ;)
You lose a few pixels (or maybe just 1) on one side (probably because of window metrics); finding out where this happens is the tough part.

See also: https://github.com/MoonchildProductions ... issues/160 for long-term plans to get rid of this hack.

van p
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by van p » 2016-01-11, 04:45

I'm posting this here because I don't think the problem occurred when I was using v25. It started some time after I started using PM, probably by which time I had gone to v26. At the time I didn't make the connection.

I'm using Emsisoft Anti-Malware. I started getting alerts/warning messages from Emsisoft some time ago about PM, specifically about palemoon.exe and plugin-container.exe. I did something (?) at the time to get around them and keep going. Earlier today I deleted all the log messages and rules about this, and when I started PM I got the warnings again. I tried to attach a document with 3 screenshots, but I got an error message saying the document had the invalid extension "docx".

For the palemoon.exe error, it said "Program is attempting to manipulate other processes". There may have been a more detailed explanation later, but I didn't notice that I could scroll forward for more info. For the plugin-container.exe error, it had the same general message as the first error. Scrolling forward, it said "Program is behaving in a similar manner to Spyware (LAN bypass backdoor)". Also for this error, the log reports say things like TrojanDownloader, Spyware, and CodeInjector.

Is there something PM can do about this, or should I contact Emsisoft? Any help will be appreciated.

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2016-01-11, 05:08

van p wrote:Is there something PM can do about this, or should I contact Emsisoft? Any help will be appreciated.
The way Moonchild packs Palemoon Betas, they will bring you false positives.
Also, i scanned and didn't find any results pertaining Palemoon.
I've been using Emsisoft for over 10 years.

van p
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by van p » 2016-01-11, 06:44

megaman, thanks for your response. I scan with 3 products normally once a week. Rarely is anything found. I'm no expert on this, but I wouldn't think that would necessarily mean anything if the software wasn't running at the time of the scan (it never is)--it's not doing anything. I decided to go ahead and inform Emsisoft and see what they say. Thanks again.

Sleeping

Unread post by Sleeping » 2016-01-18, 01:33

Tried this beta just out of curiosity and I'm really impressed by its speed in every aspect of the browser, but mainly with the back button that I happen to use quite often.
With 25.8.1, moreover, I had a problem with a forum (forum.telefonino.net) because it was impossible to use the back button and now it's working like a charm!
What can I say? Thanks for this great browser :thumbup: