GitHub vs. GitLab?

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

GitHub vs. GitLab?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-07-23, 17:09

Because of the regular issues I have with GitHub only wanting to support Chrome-latest, Edge, IE and Firefox-latest, and their constant tinkering with things that aren't broken, I'm wondering if it would be better to switch over to GitLab, instead (hosted by them since I don't have room for more server administration tasks right now).

Does anyone here have experience (recent) with GitLab, is actively using GitLab, and can tell me how it works for them and what potential snags might be?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: GitHub vs. GitLab?

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-07-23, 17:19

Well I hear nothing but good things about GitLab but I find the interface to be utterly terrible to use at every level. What sort of issue have you been having with GitHub?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-07-24, 09:26

Matt A Tobin wrote:What sort of issue have you been having with GitHub?
Constant tinkering with things that work just fine, and resulting code not necessarily working fine (and sometimes flat out breaking in Pale Moon). I currently have to use a different browser to label or assign milestones/people to issues (broken last weekend or so). When reporting these bugs, the initial response is always "we don't support your browser, use Chrome-latest, Firefox-latest, or IE/Edge".

Also, I definitely can't agree with the decision to start using SegoeUI as a main-content font instead of some Arial-alike one they had before. It's a lot less readable because (surprise?) it was designed for short bits of text in a UI (where space counts more than legibility of paragraphs) and as such has very narrow letter spacing and very similarly-shaped glyphs.

This isn't the first time GitHub has broken (previously because Promises without fallback) and it seems to me their web development is just wanting to be "millennial" and always use the latest gadgets even if they aren't needed at all for the design. Yes, I'm probably getting quite jaded by now about this, and for me it's a deal breaker because I rely on doing project/code organization in GitHub. Since GitLab offers importing GitHub projects (including issues etc.) and seems to offer similar features for organization, it's a logical alternative to look at.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

adisib
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by adisib » 2016-07-24, 17:10

It might be worth considering that GitHub makes Pale Moon more accessible to being discovered by developers than alternatives would.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-07-25, 19:45

adisib wrote:It might be worth considering that GitHub makes Pale Moon more accessible to being discovered by developers than alternatives would.
That's not why I use GitHub. It doesn't matter what the world finds discoverable if I, as a developer, can't work with the tool for what it is primarily for. Above all, it has to work for me; exposure to other developers is secondary. I understand it's handy and convenient as well to be able to use an existing account there to immediately jump in on issues and the likes if you are a developer, but if I have to choose between that and something that allows me to use my tools of choice to organize my project's development, without having to fight issues with the tool, then that will win over the former.

137ben
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by 137ben » 2016-08-26, 05:30

Have you considered using savannah? It's supposedly accessible to less popular browsers. It requires all projects to be FOSS software, but I'm pretty sure MPL software is allowed (GNU IceCat is MPL and is hosted on Savannah). They give you the choice between several different version control systems, including Git, and I've heard that the website interface is supposed to be stable.

Admittedly, not everyone wants to interact with the FSF (Linus Torvalds says the FSF is full of bigoted crazy people), so using Savannah may leave a bad taste in some people's mouths. Also, they probably wouldn't let you host the proprietary tools related to PM. And they might get angry if you describe Pale Moon as "open source," (since, as Torvalds points out, the FSF is full of bigoted crazy people.)

Everything I just said comes with the caveat that I haven't actually used Savannah. I'm not a developer (or, rather, the nature of the software I write for work is such that I don't have to use websites like GitHub or GitLab).

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-08-26, 11:25

137ben wrote:the FSF is full of bigoted crazy people
Unfortunately I have to agree with Linus here. I don't want to (and can't) deal with the group of people that insist that I can't use the best tool for the job just because the tool isn't "free", even if it doesn't impose "non-free" on the actual users or building of the final product.

(For starters I hate them for creating this whole ambiguity around the term "free software". "Free" pertains to "no-cost" in language. It just creates confusion and wrong expectations if you suddenly start using the same term for something else. Is Microsoft VS2013 Community Edition free? Yes it is, but according to the FSF it isn't. :P)

If that is the camp I'd have to deal with and having to split up my organization depending on the arbitrary rules around "free" software, then I'll say thanks but no thanks and move right along.

As-is I'm staying with GitHub for the time being. They have made some concessions for us, adding extra compatibility, even if we're not officially supported. That's more than many other companies would do these days.

EDIT: by the way, the savannah page seems to be down. Good first impression ;P

EDIT2:
We host free projects that run on free operating systems and without any proprietary software dependencies.
Pale Moon runs on Microsoft Windows, so it won't even pass the gate for them ;)

_ntnn

Unread post by _ntnn » 2017-03-29, 21:59

Does anyone here have experience (recent) with GitLab, is actively using GitLab, and can tell me how it works for them and what potential snags might be?
I'm currently working in the infrastructure engineering team for the part of 1&1 which is a.o. providing De-Mail, GMX and Web.de.
One of the internal services we provide is a GitLab EE instance, which has the same features as the public variant GitLab Inc. is providing, hence I've seen and worked with both the backend as and administrator and the frontend side as a developer.

Imho GitLab is a way better choice in terms of getting a complete package for software development than GitHub and additionally allows for proper project planning - pipeline support from unit test to deployment, proper kanban boards (not that half-assed stuff GitHub added), confidential issues, role restrictions, ...
It makes life for both big and small projects a lot easier.

Particularly with stuff like push rules to enforce a style of commit message and email address and the ability to restrict push/pull/merge access to branches based on roles is great.
More control is only possible with a plain gitolite instance.

And as far as Issues with GitHub go - I always have to empty the useragent if I want to use its features. Anything else just breaks. GitLab - both CE, EE and public - always worked perfectly with Pale Moon.

Edit: Whoops, sorry for necroing this thread. Didn't look at the dates before hitting submit.