What Can Users Do to Help Attract Coders to PM for Android?

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
CharmCityCrab

What Can Users Do to Help Attract Coders to PM for Android?

Unread post by CharmCityCrab » 2015-06-30, 23:15

My understanding is that Pale Moon for Android is something the Pale Moon team would like to tackle, but they don't have enough skilled coders willing to work on it to really develop it to it's potential and keep it up to date (Hence the aborted Pale Moon for Android project that launched and then was essentially discontinued, though it remains available "as-is").

I'd love to see the project come to Android fully supported and stay that way. I'm not a coder, so I can't help on the technical end of things. I don't have much money, so I can't donate to hire a coder.

What, if anything, can people like me do to make the project more attractive for the people who have the skills to help to volunteer their time and services?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: What Can Users Do to Help Attract Coders to PM for Andro

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-07-03, 08:30

It's a good question but I personally don't have an answer to that -- I'm not exactly a PR guru ;)

The issue with PM4A is that it's difficult to reach the right people who could help. Most Android developers only know the front-end for developing "Apps", meaning using the SDK and Java. What PM4A needs is someone extremely well-versed in the NDK and with good C/C++ skills in addition to Java, and who can tackle the roadblock we ran into with Android Lollipop issues (which we simply do not have time to tackle; and time is the biggest commodity here since it will take a lot of time to tackle these issues, I mean.. a lot.).

I don't have the channels since I don't know Android coders. If we can find a way to put the word out in the right circles, it may have some chance.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite