Compatibility Reports for v25 (Archive)

Anything to do with the Pale Moon add-ons website. (addons.palemoon.org)
Not for questions about add-ons themselves!
Forum rules
Important: This board is for specifics regarding the add-ons website (addons.palemoon.org) and not to report extension compatibility issues or discuss different extensions.
Please only post here when your topic is directly related to the add-ons website service so our moderators don't have to move your posts all the time...
11ryanc

Re: Pale Moon Addons Site - Compatibility Reports for v25

Unread post by 11ryanc » 2014-09-11, 19:55

Antonius32 wrote:Update: Adguard AdBlocker 1.0.3.3 has been released, to fix compatibility with Pale Moon 25!

Now, the only add-on I use, that is still incompatible with Pale Moon 25 (and that I am unable to fix myself) is Self-Destructing Cookies. I hope SDC's developer will release an update as well, before Pale Moon 25 is released..
Great. Hoping that Adblock Edge too will be updated for PM as well.

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by riiis » 2014-09-11, 22:53

11ryanc wrote:
Antonius32 wrote:Update: Adguard AdBlocker 1.0.3.3 has been released, to fix compatibility with Pale Moon 25!

Now, the only add-on I use, that is still incompatible with Pale Moon 25 (and that I am unable to fix myself) is Self-Destructing Cookies. I hope SDC's developer will release an update as well, before Pale Moon 25 is released..
Great. Hoping that Adblock Edge too will be updated for PM as well.
AFAIK, the only feature of Adblock Edge ("ABE"), that doesn't work in Pale Moon 25, is the ABE toolbar button. Instead of using this button, users can configure ABE by finding ABE in the "Add-ons Manager" tab, then clicking either "More" or the "Options" button.

ABE defines an array of relevant applications in its "bootstrap.js" file (line 110), which array includes Firefox but not Pale Moon. Thus, the ABE toolbar button problem can be fixed by simply adding Pale Moon's GUID ("{8de7fcbb-c55c-4fbe-bfc5-fc555c87dbc4}") to this bootstrap.js array as follows:

let applications = {"{a23983c0-fd0e-11dc-95ff-0800200c9a66}": "fennec", "toolkit@mozilla.org": "toolkit", "{ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}": "firefox", "{8de7fcbb-c55c-4fbe-bfc5-fc555c87dbc4}": "firefox", ...

mikeysc

Unread post by mikeysc » 2014-09-11, 23:43

riiis, it would be good to post that on ABE's github page; might spur the dev to fix it. I don't know if he's reading this thread. Or, if you don't want to, I'll post a link to your post.
And I still put PM target in install just for myself to keep up with mods. (I should have also been including a comment there on the other files I mod'ed for all these but a bit late now.)

And the SDC dev is interested in get that working. Those were the last 2 important ones for me.

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by riiis » 2014-09-12, 01:19

mikeysc wrote:riiis, it would be good to post that on ABE's github page; might spur the dev to fix it. I don't know if he's reading this thread. Or, if you don't want to, I'll post a link to your post.
And I still put PM target in install just for myself to keep up with mods. (I should have also been including a comment there on the other files I mod'ed for all these but a bit late now.)

And the SDC dev is interested in get that working. Those were the last 2 important ones for me.
I don't even use ABE (or github). So please- by all means- go for it! :thumbup:

buggy

Unread post by buggy » 2014-09-12, 11:35

Thanks riiis for ABE, works fine.

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by riiis » 2014-09-15, 18:19

The Noia 4 (version 1.8.8) and Noia Fox (version 2.1.4) themes are very similar add-ons, in terms of longevity, features, and appearance. For example, both are multipack add-ons that come with a "complete theme" add-on and a related "extension" add-on to change theme background colors and other theme options. However, the Noia 4 theme and options add-ons, version 1.8.8, both work in Pale Moon 25. However, only the Noia Fox default theme works in Pale Moon 25. And, the separate Noia Fox extension, to change the Noia Fox theme options, does not work in Pale Moon 25 (resulting from issues with the add-on's chrome manifest file).

The developer of Noia 4 has discontinued further development of this add-on, giving the following reasons for this decision:
1. Since the beginning of 2013 complete/full themes are not the primary themes on addons.mozilla.org anymore. Complete themes lost many users because of this.
2. I don't want to say dev tools, which are a part of Firefox from version 10, are useless, but it was wrong to add them to the skinable browser area, so themes have to take care of them. Dev tools still get changed with every Firefox version makes supporting them properly a big waste of time, because they get changed on next version anyway.
3. Since the beginning of 2014 the add-ons validator was broken for about five month and I lost interest in working on Noia 4. See here: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=957158
Thus:
1) Users of Noia Fox should consider switching to the similar Noia 4, at least until issues of Noia Fox in Pale Moon 25 get fixed.
2) Themes that are frequently updated (for example, first for Firefox 24, then for Firefox 25, then again for Firefox 26, etc.)-- such updates may relate primarily to changes in developer tools in Firefox versions subsequent to Firefox 24 (and thus these updates may not be needed by or even adverse to Pale Moon 25).
3) Given the Firefox rapid-release schedule and change to Australis UI, stable complete themes available for Pale Moon 25 may already be much more numerous, than the stable complete themes available for the latest versions of Firefox.

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by riiis » 2014-09-17, 00:28

The attachment
Palemoon_Themes_AMO.zip
List of Firefox themes compatible with Pale Moon
(4.47 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
contains a list, in "htm" format, of complete themes at AMO that are compatible with Pale Moon 24 and 25. First, open the "htm" file in Pale Moon or Firefox. Then, click either the image or the theme name to download and install the Pale Moon compatible version of the theme in your browser. Click "More Info" only to go to the theme's add-on page at AMO.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-09-17, 01:42

Thanks for the effort but all themes will be forked not just those marked compatible with v24.. There are several post-Firefox 4 themes and pre-australis themes that just need some fixup. Not to mention there is not one (except for the one a forum user adapted) that is fully Pale Moon compatible. Most are very close though. Themeing is something that will be made important again.

11ryanc

Unread post by 11ryanc » 2014-09-25, 17:33

The author of Noia 4 actually just removed all archives of the theme from the Mozilla Addons library. Good thing I've held onto the .xpi. Isn't Australis bringing amazing innovation? Great work to the all new ChromeFox v. 107.0.8 (really version 25 with exaggerated version branding)
So here's the remains of Noia 4 is anyone wants it:
Attachments
noia_4-1.8.9-fx.xpi
(1.24 MiB) Downloaded 75 times

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by riiis » 2014-09-25, 19:30

11ryanc wrote:The author of Noia 4 actually just removed all archives of the theme from the Mozilla Addons library. Good thing I've held onto the .xpi. Isn't Australis bringing amazing innovation?
Aris, the author of Noia 4, is also the very busy author of Classic Theme Restorer (Customize Australis). That's the Firefox add-on that's supposed to make newer versions of Firefox look more like, ahhhh..., Pale Moon?

"NoiaButtons version 1.1.2" is still available (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... sion-1.1.2). That extension modifies the Pale Moon default theme to use Noia icons. And the very similar "Noia Fox" theme (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... sion-2.1.4) still works with Pale Moon 24, and can be easily modified, when the time comes, to work in Pale Moon 25.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-09-25, 22:38

Please no more discussion on Themes at this time. All themes will be forked (license permitting) and be modified for Pale Moon specifically as time permits.

Also please keep your extension reports coming in for v25 but please keep discussion to an absolute bare minimum as it is making it difficult to parse this thread.

11ryanc

Unread post by 11ryanc » 2014-09-25, 23:26

Matt A Tobin wrote:Please no more discussion on Themes at this time. All themes will be forked (license permitting) and be modified for Pale Moon specifically as time permits.

Also please keep your extension reports coming in for v25 but please keep discussion to an absolute bare minimum as it is making it difficult to parse this thread.
Understood. If I may ask though, when should we expect the final release of Pale Moon 25/addons site?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-09-26, 01:11

Moonchild Productions wrote:When it is ready

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by riiis » 2014-09-26, 01:21

I tried the new version (0.8.3) of the "Simple Locale Switcher" add-on in Pale Moon 25. The new version claims to be compatible with Pale Moon 25 and to have fixed the prior versions of this add-on, which were not compatible.

The new version appears to work fine, changing the locale from one language to another. And, the toolbar button no longer disappears. However, the languages displayed by Pale Moon do not completely switch. For example, the right-click "Customize" context menu remained in English, as did the Menu Bar and other toolbars. The Add-ons Manager page was in French, or Spanish, or German, or whatever locale/language was supposedly switched to. The "Organize Bookmarks" library page was a mixture of English and French. Status bar options, on the "Tools" menu, were in French; the regular options menu and dialog window were completely in English.

I tried a different locale switching add-on, and different language packs, with the same results. The same locale switching add-ons and language packs worked perfectly in Pale Moon 24.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-09-26, 09:37

There are no language packs for v25 yet. v24 language packs will not work, or not work properly. you should never use a language pack for a different major version -- it may even prevent the browser from starting.

(Also one big downside to ignoring addon compatibility checks as this may happen, as people found out the hard way in the past)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by riiis » 2014-09-26, 19:20

Moonchild wrote:...Also one big downside to ignoring addon compatibility checks as this may happen
I don't have compatibility checks turned off. Also, existing Pale Moon Language Packs apparently do meet Pale Moon 25 compatibility checks. This seems correct regardless of whether the Language Pack is first installed in Pale Moon 24 or in Pale Moon 25.
Last edited by riiis on 2014-09-27, 03:08, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-09-26, 21:42

Language Packs for Pale Moon 24 obviously don't work on Pale Moon 25 because of the GUID change. I told you there are no such language packs yet.

Regardless: language Packs have to always use strict checking and should never be allowed to install on a non-compatible version of the browser unless compatibility checking has been switched off or made less strict. I think my dual GUID system needs a little polish to always block Firefox-IDed language packs, since I think what happens here is it sees a Firefox extension and allows it as compatible with the FF compat version in Pale Moon (24.9), which in this case is the wrong thing to do -- so, thanks for reporting this! I'll take care of it. (Even if it's a semi-hijack of this thread; sorry Tobin! Carry on with compatibility reports ;) )
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by riiis » 2014-09-28, 12:44

mikeysc wrote:I got a positive reply from the developer of Self Destructing Cookies. Nothing to actually test yet, just an encouraging response. He said he will need users to test it on Windows. I only have access to Win Vista 32 at this time. I doubt if there will be much difference between Windows versions but still would be good if other Windows users would test.
I updated Self Destructing Cookies ("SDC") to its most recent version (0.4.6), released on the 21st of September. SDC continues to run flawlessly on Pale Moon 24 and not at all on Pale Moon 25.

SDC appears to be built and run using the Firefox Add-ons SDK. Thus, AFAIK, the same version of SDC should be able to run unmodified across a broad range of Firefox versions. Accordingly, I installed and ran SDC on FF24 ESR, FF31 ESR, and FF32 (Stable) through FF35 (Nightly). SDC installed and ran flawlessly in all these browsers.

SDC may be the only prominent add-on that I use, which is based on the Add-ons SDK. And I have no workable knowledge of the Add-ons SDK. But perhaps this disparity of results (SDC works flawlessly on Pale Moon 24 and all these other browsers, except Pale Moon 25)-- perhaps this disparity may point to the Pale Moon 25 implementation of Add-ons SDK as the culprit in "Self Destructing Cookies" lack of compatibility, rather than to "Self Destructing Cookies" itself.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-09-28, 13:50

SDC likely has the Firefox GUID in the SDK bootstrap script. Pale Moon 25's implementation of the SDK is not materially different than 24.7's.

mikeysc

Unread post by mikeysc » 2014-09-28, 16:24

Based on my file search for text, the FF GUID is only in SDC's install.rdf. The code is more complex than you would expect for what seems to be a simple extension. Unless someone has the ability to trace the execution of the code (if any) then I think we need to wait for the developer to fix this one. FWIW, ABE was also updated and did not include PM25. Menu Wizard is the first one I know of to have direct PM25 support (v. 1.13 and higher).