Runtime Error in New Pale Moon in newest update

Support board for people running on (retail/OEM) Windows XP (32/64-bit).
Forum rules
This is a self-serve support board for our community. The development team can't provide any support for Windows XP (and compatible versions of Pale Moon for it) any longer.
Thehandyman1957

Runtime Error in New Pale Moon in newest update

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2015-08-31, 21:49

Hello all, Yesterday I got a notification to update Pale Moon to 25.7 I think ( Can't verify cause I can't get on the Pale Moon Web Site)

Anyway, when I use "print to pdf" add-on It gets almost done and then gives me a runtime error.
ScreenHunter_01 Sep. 30 14.40.gif
I downgraded to 25.6 and it does not do it.

Any Idea's?

intofix

Re: Runtime Error in New Pale Moon in newest update

Unread post by intofix » 2015-08-31, 22:28

Are you sure you have the appropriate Visual C++ Runtime library and also if they are uptodate?
http://assiste.com/Visual_C++_Packages_ ... ables.html

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2015-08-31, 23:37

Ok so I updated the run time library to this
ScreenHunter_06 Aug. 31 15.47.gif
I then updated Pale Moon again and tried the same thing and got this.
ScreenHunter_07 Aug. 31 16.19.gif
I tried it again and got this.
ScreenHunter_08 Aug. 31 16.28.gif
Is there a log file I should be looking at?

Please keep in mind that it does not do this in Pale Moon 25.6

This is the website it's having problems with.

http://rinf.com/alt-news/breaking-news/ ... sing-iran/

It gets all the way to the end of the process and just before it's supposed to open my pdf reader with the printed site it crashes.

Just to note. Print to PDF works on every other site I saved today except this one. And it will work in the older version of Pale Moon for this site.

intofix

Unread post by intofix » 2015-09-01, 00:13

Probably due to the add-on, but if you talk about this one Print pages to pdf i can't test it as on AMO it has been removed by its author unfortunately.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2015-09-01, 04:59

Actually that comment from the Add-on site is a ruse. They are black balling him and making it difficult to put it up. He has his own web site here. http://printpdf.pf-control.de/index.php/en/help.html

I downloaded the newest version but it was even worse. Was tweaking the pages really badly and some stuff was overlapping. So I had to port a older profile with the older version back on as I can't get it anymore.

It only seems to have this problem when I try to save the RINF pages. The others don't seem to be affected.

The thing that makes it weird is that it will save RINF pages fine in 25.6 Not sure what changed to make that happen.

Was hoping Moonchild could give his two cents ;)

squarefractal

Unread post by squarefractal » 2015-09-01, 05:45

As in Linux with cups-pdf, you can install a PDF printer such as Bullzip PDF printer to obtain documents in PDF format :)

As far as RINF and that addon is concerned, I suspect that the addon might be choking on some a certain way the page is designed, probably on Flash embeds.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2015-09-01, 18:14

Yea, your probably right. I did try the print to file option in Linux but it had the same issues as I did with the newer version of "Print pages to PDF" Things would overlap and the page would get tweaked. The problem with that is when you print to file you never get a preview of what the page will actually look like. In "Print pages to pdf" after it's done working, it opens your default pdf program so I get to see exactly what it looks like before saving it.

The whole reason I use this add-on is because sometimes the "Mozilla Archive Format" sometimes won't be able to save. I think that some web pages try to keep you from actually saving their pages. So if I run into that issue the "Print pages to PDF" is able to bypass that block.

It's a slick program. ;)

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2015-09-01, 21:54

Thehandyman1957 wrote:
The problem with that is when you print to file you never get a preview of what the page will actually look like.
Go to File >> Print Preview.

I use it all the time when printing to pdf.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2015-09-02, 00:25

I have done that before. But it seems to take up a serious amount of resources on my computer. There are times when it completely bogs down my entire machine while it works to show me the preview. I have a 2.8g quad core with 3.5gigs of useable ram and I can't imagine why it would need to use all four cores full bore just to render a preview.

I'm not sure if this is a Xp issue or not, but it simple is not an option for me.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2015-09-02, 01:17

Thehandyman1957 wrote:
I have done that before. But it seems to take up a serious amount of resources on my computer. There are times when it completely bogs down my entire machine while it works to show me the preview.
Hmm, I've never had this problem, even on my old, seriously slow computer (with XP). Maybe you should make a new thread of this particular issue.

intofix

Unread post by intofix » 2015-09-02, 02:42

This complex add-on is simply no longer fully compatible with the new versions of Pale Moon since the 25.7.0, you have to contact its author. However i have not been able to find where, another ruse maybe 8-)

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2015-09-02, 04:33

I'm not sure what you mean by a Ruse. A deceptive maneuver (especially to avoid capture)

No one is trying to be deceptive here. :eh:

Here is the link to his sight
http://printpdf.pf-control.de/index.php/en/0.5.0.2.html

He tries to explain why it is not on the Firefox add on site.
Screenshot - 9_1_2015 , 9_32_05 PM.png

intofix

Unread post by intofix » 2015-09-02, 05:25

Thehandyman1957 wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by a Ruse. A deceptive maneuver (especially to avoid capture) No one is trying to be deceptive here. :eh:
Thehandyman1957 wrote:Actually that comment from the Add-on site is a ruse.
You should try to make it simple instead of always wanting to complicate things, just my opinion. Also please when you are not sure of something then ask before making speculation, thanks. Je sors.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2015-09-02, 22:12

:oops: Very sorry, my bad :silent:

Too many rocks in my pot. :?