Play button missing from Google voice

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

apricoto

Play button missing from Google voice

Unread post by apricoto » 2016-05-13, 03:44

I use Google voice, in that I call my gv number from cell phone, leave a v.m., which is then sent to me via email. (handy for sending myself reminders that I can't avoid seeing). When the transcription makes no sense, i click on link that takes me to the v.m. at google voice, so that I can hear the audio. Problem is, the "play" button is missing. so I can't play the message from Pale Moon. I have to use IE .

I have the google talk plugin and google talk plugin video accelerator installed, both set to "ask to activate"

Is there something that I am missing?

apricoto

Re: Play button missing from Google voice

Unread post by apricoto » 2016-05-13, 03:54

Right after posting, I tried right clicking around the spot where the "play" button should be. there was an option to "avtivate plugin", which I clicked and it asked about activating adobe flash . I agreed to always allow and it played the audio. Now, when clicking on an email to hear audio, it goes to the site and immediately starts playing.

I did have flashblock plugin set to allow on the google voice site. don't know why it didn't ask or just automatically play.
Or why the "play" button didn't appear.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-05-13, 12:22

If the "play" button was drawn with flash, then if the plugin was blocked, you'd also not see the play button.
For the record, if a plugin is blocked, you will always have an indicator at the start of the address bar giving you options to allow it (unless an extension suppresses that indicator).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

apricoto

Unread post by apricoto » 2016-05-13, 19:02

since I previously indicated "always allow adobe flash", the google voice v.m. starts automatically. I don't see a way to check to see an indicator at start of address bar.

If it happens again, on another site, hopefully I will remember to check for the indicator.

TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2016-05-14, 15:14

This is what I have experienced re Flash. I have it set to always ask to activate. When I go to places like youtube or other sites that play videos, I get the black box asking to activate Flash. However, I have found many sites seem to feel compelled to use Flash to make some of their buttons. I never see an ask to activate and those buttons never appear.

On some sites where i am shopping in general and the specific vendor is not important I do not bother, I simply find another vendor whose site works without needing flash.

It was the same thing with that Promises stuff on weather.com. I will not download an addon just to be able to view a site. I switched to accuweather.com which worked fine. Now that weather.com fixed the issue, I have not gone back to them and may never do so.

I realize I am basically old school. I am not interested in a lot of what technology offers these days. I cannot imagine ever using a self driving car, and i believe the new trend otward touch screen in cars is likely resulting in more accidents. I can tune my radio while driving without having to look at the knobs or buttons, a touch screen takes one's eyes of the road. I prefer my small hand held Garmin GPS as I can hold in front of me and still look at the road, I can't do that with the car display screen. I can do the same with the climate controls etc. I envision myself only buying ever older used cars for the rest of my driving life.

What I really do not get is the concept of the type of self driving cars with no traditional controls. I see a Thanksgiving holiday where millions are on the road and some clever hacker knocks out the server system that controls the cars. I see millions of cars stopped dead all over the place and no way for the passengers to get anywhere. Will these cars come with emergency rations and water jik? I am reminded of that old joke:

Ladies and gentlemen welcome to All World Airlines first completely automated flight. Everything is controlled by coimputer. There is no pilot, co-pilot or navigator. You will notice the plane is now automatically moving into to position for take-off. Let us assure you this plane is completely safe and all systems have been thoroughly tested. Now, as we are begining take-off we would like to assure you all that this plane is perfectly safe and that nothing can go wrong, go wrong, go wrong, go wrong.......
“No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson