Let's discuss privacy enhancing extensions

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Weishaupt

Let's discuss privacy enhancing extensions

Unread post by Weishaupt » 2016-02-05, 14:25

Browsing the web nowadays with a vanilla browser is pretty much a disaster when it comes to privacy.

I've used a number of different browsers and various extensions that protect my data. However, as time goes on, tracking methods are becoming more and more complex, and on the other hand, there are more and more extensions combating tracking.

At this point I'm using the following privacy/security extensions with PM26:

* Adblock Latitude - for blocking annoying ads (duh)
* BetterPrivacy - for getting rid of LSO's
* Decentraleyes - for local content delivery
* Encrypted Web - for forcing https connections
* Privacy Badger 0.2.6 - for blocking tracking cookies

Are these extensions enough?

I know canvas tracking is an issue, however, that is solved by PM brilliantly, without the need for any additional extension. Using a default user agent is a privacy risk as well, but since the latest version of Random Agent Spoofer doesn't work it PM, I'm willing to let it slide for the time being.

BetterPrivacy is pretty old extension now, and I'm wondering whether I still need it or is Privacy Badger taking care of LSO's as well? How effective is Privacy Badger 0.2.6 (the latest version that works with PM) anyway?

And also, what about uBlock Origin? It has been getting a lot of praise recently for its effectiveness in blocking ads, but is it better than Privacy Badger when it comes to tracking cookies?

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Let's discuss privacy enhancing extensions

Unread post by Tomaso » 2016-02-05, 16:11

What worries me is that fewer and fewer of these extensions actually supports Pale Moon.
Right now I'm only running a combo with 'Adblock Latitude' and 'Ghostery'..
Of course, it's reassuring that we have an officially supported fork of Adblock Plus for PM, but for Ghostery we still have to use the old v5.4.4.1.
It has been working just fine up until now, but for how long can we expect this old version to be functional?
It puzzels me why the developers of such extensions doesn't care about supporting "our" browser..
Sure, PM might have a small market share, but from a security perspective, one should think that it would be right up their alley!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-02-05, 17:52

Tomaso wrote:What worries me is that fewer and fewer of these extensions actually supports Pale Moon.
Sorry.. what?

ABL - Pale Moon specific
Encrypted web - ditto
Decentraleyes - We have full support of the dev
BetterPrivacy - works with us AFAIK

Which just leaves PrivacyBadger, which I don't know the status of.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2016-02-05, 18:00

Moonchild wrote:ABL - Pale Moon specific
Yes, like I pointed out:
Tomaso wrote:it's reassuring that we have an officially supported fork of Adblock Plus
I was refering to these, mentioned by OP:

BetterPrivacy:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... erprivacy/

Privacy Badger:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... r-firefox/

Random Agent Spoofer:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... t-spoofer/

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-02-05, 18:07

The status of PrivacyBadger is that the developer doesn't want to support us and the extension is known to cause all sorts of issues on Pale Moon and just in general.

DjogaRo

Unread post by DjogaRo » 2016-02-05, 18:41

Weishaupt wrote:And also, what about uBlock Origin? It has been getting a lot of praise recently for its effectiveness in blocking ads, but is it better than Privacy Badger when it comes to tracking cookies?
AFAIK µBO has nothing to do with cookies. ? I use it just as an ABP replacement inluding some element hiding, although it's capable of being more. For more I use µMatrix, which is like RequestPolicy x NoScript. Here cookies are a concept. They get written unhindered, but only read, if you allow it.

Btw, µMatrix brings user agent spoofing and referrer spoofing along the way. Each you can (de-)activate per domain

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2016-02-05, 20:32

I use these addons:

CanvasBlocker: to have a white- and blacklist for sites against canvas tracking and for have more settings.
CookieMonster: to forbid cookies, i also use a cookie whitelist
Decentraleyes
Encrypted Web (but only use the SSL obversotory)
NoScript
Pale Moon Commander: for have a fast setting method if a site didn't like my settings
RefControl
RequestPolicy Continued beta
SecureLogin
DNSSEC/TLSA Validator (deactivated cause to incompatibility with PM 26)

Flash isn't installed on my system so no need for BetterPrivacy.
NoScript and RequestPolicy block all (and more) then Ghostery+Adblock Latitude so i'm fine.

And yes you better didn't use Privacy Badger. I ask for Pale Moon support but they didn't give a **** to help us. Realy bad since the devs are from the EFF. Anyway no one need this addon so yeah.
Not a realy problem for us.

Jossee

Unread post by Jossee » 2016-02-05, 21:44

With FF proper I use Privacy Settings which offers a UI for about:config tweaks.
I wonder if we could have something like it with PM, not as an extension but in the options.

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2016-02-05, 23:23

Matt A Tobin wrote:The status of PrivacyBadger is that the developer doesn't want to support us and the extension is known to cause all sorts of issues on Pale Moon and just in general.
Never used it myself.

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2016-02-06, 07:45

Jossee wrote:With FF proper I use Privacy Settings which offers a UI for about:config tweaks.
I wonder if we could have something like it with PM, not as an extension but in the options.
I've been in contact with the developer and he's open up an issue here of what he needs/wishes for us to support to get Privacy Settings working with us.

Though there's been no answer, which is quite understandable considering the major update that all PM developers/volunteers have been preparing for and more recently the current issues of web compatibility and so on.
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime

superA

Unread post by superA » 2016-02-06, 08:12

80% of these preferences, do not exist in Pale Moon.
The other 20%, are just a matter of your personal liking and you can easily change them, as long as you know what you are doing.

That make the extension useless, in my opinion.

Weishaupt

Unread post by Weishaupt » 2016-02-06, 09:33

Alright, so Privacy Badger doesn't seem to be the best extension for Pale Moon. What would be a good simple alternative for it?

I used Ghostery before Privacy Badger, but I read that the former allows some kind of tracking which made me switch in the first place.

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2016-02-06, 09:58

Weishaupt wrote:Alright, so Privacy Badger doesn't seem to be the best extension for Pale Moon.
Yeah no. The developers are going a different direction with Privacy Badger, following Firefox lead.
Weishaupt wrote:I used Ghostery before Privacy Badger, but I read that the former allows some kind of tracking which made me switch in the first place

How about Disconnect? Here: https://disconnect.me/disconnect. They do the same thing like Ghostery, but better and it's way faster/lighter on memory. Though I personally recommend uBlock Origin now, which is here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ublock-origin/?src=ss. Give them both a try and see which one you like. :)

-P.S. uBlock Origin comes with the Disconnect filter lists.
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2016-02-06, 10:37

Weishaupt wrote:I used Ghostery before Privacy Badger, but I read that the former allows some kind of tracking which made me switch in the first place.
You're talking about a feature in 'Ghostery' which is called 'Ghostrank'..
It "sends anonymous statistical data back to Ghostery HQ".
That function is optional, and I've got it disabled!

Weishaupt

Unread post by Weishaupt » 2016-02-06, 10:47

LimboSlam wrote:
How about Disconnect? Here: https://disconnect.me/disconnect. They do the same thing like Ghostery, but better and it's way faster/lighter on memory. Though I personally recommend uBlock Origin now, which is here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ublock-origin/?src=ss. Give them both a try and see which one you like. :)

Thanks! I installed Disconnect and it seems to be working fine so far. It is also nice that the latest version still supports PM.

I was considering uBlock Origin for a time, but then I'd have to ditch our resident Adblock Latitude, and that I don't want to do. :P

[edit]

Tested it on Panopticlick and it seems it doesn't block all the invisible trackers. :/

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2016-02-06, 11:48

Weishaupt wrote:
LimboSlam wrote:

Thanks! I installed Disconnect and it seems to be working fine so far. It is also nice that the latest version still supports PM.

I was considering uBlock Origin for a time, but then I'd have to ditch our resident Adblock Latitude, and that I don't want to do. :P

[edit]

Tested it on Panopticlick and it seems it doesn't block all the invisible trackers. :/
If i recall correctly you can if you wish use ublock origin alongside adblock latitude by turning off ublock adblocking functionality and just use the ublock script blocking.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-02-06, 15:35

Multiple content blockers and especially those that do adblocking do NOT work well together. Please do not mix and match adblockers.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2016-02-06, 16:08

I disagree.
Look at noscript and adblock for example.Noscript and adblock latitude should by principle run just.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-02-06, 16:14

Noscript isn't an ad blocker.. Please re-read what i said because I was specifically citing the case of ublock being used at the same time as ABL.

They do about the same job and would conflict and race to block something. That creates a situation where finding out what the issue is much harder if not a completely invalid issue due to conflicting.

Max1964

Unread post by Max1964 » 2016-02-06, 21:31

I use these addons:

- Brain
- ABL
- Ghostery
- Click & Clean (also known as Hotcleaner)