[OLD Official Thread] Adblock Latitude

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

megaman

Re: [Official Thread] Adblock Latitude

Unread post by megaman » 2015-05-17, 16:17

cooperb21 wrote:What is the change log for 3.5.0b1 i would like to know what im testing vs stable.
The BETA was out before.
Matt A Tobin wrote:Also with ABL 3.5 it seems that the difference between a few tabs open and say 40 tabs open seems to be roughly the same and not proportional. So it is fair more memory-stable vs ABL 3.0 and ABP which seem very much more fluctuation including leaks.

ABL 3.5 was done for several reasons to improve ABL and remove deficiencies with the Bootstrapped 3.0/ABP line. Some of these reasons are listed below.

- Dilemma between Slow Startup vs Delayed startup.
- Remove Boostrapped code complexity
- Unstable and Unpredictable Memory usage
- Better code compatibility for Pale Moon specifically.
- Sustainable Development with a codebase that is much closer to that Pale Moon internally uses.

3.5 does indeed solve all these. Frankly, I am unconcerned with a few megabytes if it means all of these advantages. The Adblock Family is quite simply the most sophisticated and complete ad blocking solutions we have. With the power of any member of the Adblock Family comes a slight compromise to used resources. This has not changed though it is far more stable and predictable in my usage and testing since Feb. I still see as one increases usage and open more tabs/windows it stays fairly stable on consumption and does not run a muck eating resources as the previous versions tended to do on occasion.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-05-17, 16:25

Megaman is quite correct. This is the same version that was out before. It is also the same version built from here https://github.com/Pale-Moon-Addons-Team/adblock-latitude/tree/96238154c2d339fc0ca55aa79f1513f63cab6235

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2015-05-17, 17:02

As expected, it has a longer opening delay on my laptop. (As hyper as I am, it might bother me. I'll just leave the browser open until it ever happens to stutter on me.)

Edit: Same for the Desktop. Thankfully, I have an SSD or I would be pulling hairs waiting.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-05-17, 17:08

megaman wrote:As expected, it has a longer opening delay on my laptop. (As hyper as I am, it might bother me. I'll just leave the browser open until it ever happens to stutter on me.)

Edit: Same for the Desktop. Thankfully, I have an SSD or I would be pulling hairs waiting.
It won't any any affect when the browser is running only on startup. It is only a couple of seconds. ALSO it ensures that all components are loaded before the browser opens a page that may have an ad in it.. This was requested by the community in the 3.0.x era but there were some problems with it and it had to be backed out.. This eliminates those issues by not having the underlying problem. Just the cost of complete blocking instead of lazy loading bootstrap.

Corrine
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Corrine » 2015-05-22, 20:18

Hi, Matt.

Even though I have a check next to "DIsable on hulu.com" in Adblock Latitude, the Allowing Hulu.com ads with AdBlock and Adblock Plus which results in sitting through a longer "time out". Have you or anyone else run into this?

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Cassette
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Cassette » 2015-05-25, 10:51

Corrine wrote:Hi, Matt.

Even though I have a check next to "DIsable on hulu.com" in Adblock Latitude, the Allowing Hulu.com ads with AdBlock and Adblock Plus which results in sitting through a longer "time out". Have you or anyone else run into this?
I had never used Hulu before, but I played a video on there to see if I could recreate what you saw. Sure enough, it does what you say. If you disable ABL everywhere, it doesn't do it. While disabled only on Hulu I checked the blockable items list and nothing was shown to be blocked so I don't know why it was showing that message. The ads themselves would eventually load. As a workaround you can just disable everywhere when you want to watch Hulu. It isn't an ideal solution, but it does work.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-05-25, 15:37

Hulu is VERY good at defeating members of the Adblock Family. They have been one of the first and put the most effort into it. Places like blip figured it it was more trouble than it was worth then they tried. I am not surprised it is able to detect it even when not actually blocking ads.

Corrine
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Corrine » 2015-05-25, 22:45

Thanks, Matt. I thought perhaps there was some setting I wasn't aware of. After reading your reply, I did make the point of submitting a help request at Hulu asking what was wrong with their system since I have Adblock disabled on their site. (Not that I expect it will do any good. ;) )

@Cassette, because it happens sporadically, I was hoping there was a solution other than disabling everywhere when on the Hulu site.

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Corrine
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Corrine » 2015-05-26, 01:43

For what it is worth, I received a reply from to the Hulu help request. We'll see if it recognizes Adblock Latitude consistently now.

• First, please try lowering the video quality. You can do this via the gear icon in the corner of the player window.
• Clear your browser cache ( http://hulu.ly/cache ) and try a different video on our site.
• "Delete all sites" from your Flash cache here: ( http://phtshp.us/2fZi ).
• Try turning off hardware acceleration in Flash by right-clicking on our video player, selecting "Settings," opening the left-most tab and and unchecking "Enable Hardware Acceleration."
• Perform a power-cycle of your router, modem, and computer. Unplug all three from power, wait at least 3 minutes, and power back up.
• Finally, using another browser can often circumvent the problem altogether. If you haven’t tried that already, I recommend trying Google Chrome, which you can download here ( http://www.google.com/chrome ). Chrome can avoid several types of issues like this because of its built-in version of Adobe Flash and its tendency to use your computer’s processing power efficiently.

Video quality is set to auto but I did clear the Pale Moon cache (even though it is set to clear when the browser is closed) and deleted sites from the Flash cache. I see no reasoning for power cycling the router, modem and computer and replied that I have absolutely no interest in using that other browser.

Nova25

Unread post by Nova25 » 2015-06-12, 16:22

It seems that, somewhere around the most recent version, some problems have appeared related to the 'google apps' button (that weird 'square made of mini-squares', in the upper-right corner) when you're on (searching) Google.

It doesn't open anymore. Which is 'very' annoying.
I disable Adblock Latitude, it works, I enable it, it don't.

Will this be corrected soon ? Is there a temporary ''fix'' to solve that problem, which wouldn't scrap the whole ads-blocking thing ?
Or, do I have to start using Firefox again, each time I might want to... say... use Google translator ? -_-

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-06-12, 17:50

Nova25 wrote:It seems that, somewhere around the most recent version, some problems have appeared related to the 'google apps' button (that weird 'square made of mini-squares', in the upper-right corner) when you're on (searching) Google.

It doesn't open anymore. Which is 'very' annoying.
I disable Adblock Latitude, it works, I enable it, it don't.

Will this be corrected soon ? Is there a temporary ''fix'' to solve that problem, which wouldn't scrap the whole ads-blocking thing ?
Or, do I have to start using Firefox again, each time I might want to... say... use Google translator ? -_-
You may want to double-check your filter subscriptions. Also, because of the granularity offered by ABL, you can view which items are blocked and unblock whatever is needed. You can also simply disable ABL on google.com which will solve your problem.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-06-12, 20:01

It works here..

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-06-13, 11:01

Matt A Tobin wrote:It works here..
it works here too.. but obviously something (either a filter subscription or custom rule) is blocking it for them.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Nova25

Unread post by Nova25 » 2015-06-13, 16:52

Even if I add 'exception rules' to EVERYTHING in red (listed as 'blocked' in the page), I still can't open the 'google apps' tab.

This is very strange, as I can swear it never did that 1-2 weeks ago... and the only thing that changed for me is the recent Palemoon update, related to Mozilla going ''freaking-bonkers'' with their plugin services. (Between you and me, and this is my personal opinion, I think Mozilla is going borderline-nazi with some of their recent 'tactics'.)

So, currently, aside from essentially killing adblock on Google... which kinda defeat the very purpose of HAVING adblock in the first place... There's no other ''solution'' ?

superA

Unread post by superA » 2015-06-13, 18:15

Could you please list what is blocked from ABL (in red) ?
Does it happens also with this url , http://216.239.32.20/ ?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-06-13, 18:26

It would be nice to know which filtersets you are using.. Also if you have any other blocking, performance, privacy type add-ons.

Nova25

Unread post by Nova25 » 2015-06-13, 21:16

First screenshot is what I see, after I 'Open blockable items' after a random search, when I click on the 'square thingy' :
http://i58.tinypic.com/256w7jc.png

Second screenshot is what I see, after I 'Open blockable items' on the page given to me with the IP address, when I click on the 'square thingy' :
http://i57.tinypic.com/dh8yug.png

-Each time, when I click on the 'square thingy' it generates those 'gen_204?' lines.
-I already tried setting 'exceptions' for those red/blocked things, but only by disabling Adblock Latitude can I access the 'google apps' button.

-The 2 filters I have for Adblock Latitude 3.0.2 are :
Fanboy+Easylist-Merged Ultimate List
Abblock Warning Removal List

Also, I feel like I must stress the fact that everything was fine about a week ago, and that ONLY since this week there's a problem.

GStathops
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by GStathops » 2015-06-14, 10:53

Hi
i just want to confirm Nova25 findings.
Google's App button doesn't work (for me) after updating to 25.5 (drop down list doesn't work),
that applies also in Gmail's App/ Notification/ Account buttons.

I only use ABL 3.0.2 for blocking/privacy
with Fanboy+Easylist-Merged Ultimate List, last updated at 13 Jun.

In order to work we have to Disable ABL (or adding exceptions to google.com and mail.google.com)
superA wrote:Does it happens also with this url , http://216.239.32.20/ ?
Yes

It seems to me that is not ABL's issue individually because right now using the exact same setup (addon's, settings, rules etc) on my other pc with PM 25.4.1 x86
everything works as usual.

superA

Unread post by superA » 2015-06-14, 16:57

Tried ABL and ublock with the same lists after updating them,it works here.
Maybe try install instead of the Ultimate list,all the lists that the Ultimate has and disable one by one to see if that is the cause.

niteshade
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by niteshade » 2015-06-15, 00:16

It's the filter:

Code: Select all

##div[class^="gb_"] > .gb_ba
It's found in Fanboy's Annoyance list and probably other lists as well. Disabling it solves the problem.