[OLD Official Thread] Adblock Latitude

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Re: [Official Thread] Adblock Latitude

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2014-11-27, 13:49

Matt A Tobin wrote:You really may want to wait until I have cleaned up unused strings and wait till it is closer to the next release.. There is some work i can do before then. I am sure I could reuse SOME of the previous localizations and then you can modify those where needed to match whatever en-US has. This would be a much better option and alot less work.

Just give me some time. Also open up an issue on the repo for this. My original intention of this thread was for releases and very brief Q and A not some 6 page list of complaints.
I'm sorry if I came across as impatient; my only intention is to help out! I'm perfectly fine with an English-only version of ABL for now, I'm not complaining about that at all.

I'm still new to github; I'll see if I can manage to open an issue for the Dutch localisation.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-11-27, 13:56

Antonius32 wrote:
Matt A Tobin wrote:You really may want to wait until I have cleaned up unused strings and wait till it is closer to the next release.. There is some work i can do before then. I am sure I could reuse SOME of the previous localizations and then you can modify those where needed to match whatever en-US has. This would be a much better option and alot less work.

Just give me some time. Also open up an issue on the repo for this. My original intention of this thread was for releases and very brief Q and A not some 6 page list of complaints.
I'm sorry if I came across as impatient; my only intention is to help out! I'm perfectly fine with an English-only version of ABL for now, I'm not complaining about that at all.

I'm still new to github; I'll see if I can manage to open an issue for the Dutch localisation.
I am glad everyone is all excited about ABL and everything but some need to realize that there has only been one release and the circumstances revolving around that release and the need to even HAVE to do this at all. There is a lot of things going on. It takes time for things to happen. Of most importance is to stop proceeding with things from a reactionary standpoint.

Much of what I have had to do in the past few months has been reactionary and scrambling to satisfy people. This was necessary but not sustainable. Now I am setting up procedures, infrastructure, ways of doing things that WILL be sustainable in the long term and benefit the tasks at hand and help all us reach our goals.

hackerman1
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by hackerman1 » 2014-11-27, 15:16

Matt A Tobin wrote:
hackerman1 wrote: I agree.
The ABL-icon is "unreadable".
Same style (font) as ABP would be nice.
But since ABL replaces both ABP & ABE, it would be even better to also have an ABL-icon in ABE-style (white text on blue background).

[...]

Suggestion: Create to new icons, one ABP-style, one ABE-style, and include both in the xpi-file.
Then let the users choose the icon they want via an option in ABL.
If that´s not possible, then make two xpi-files, one with an ABP-style icon, the other with an ABE-style icon.
Then people can select which style they want by selecting the right xpi-file when downloading.
The brand icon for ABL is now established.. There is no objective reason to offer different icons in different styles.
However, I know the icon in 16x16 size is sub-optimal. This will be resolved in the next release.
hackerman1 wrote: Personally I just hacked the ABL-xpi file...
I replaced the ABL-icon with the ABE-icon from the ABE-xpi (and renamed it...).
I´m running ABL with an ABE-icon now as a temporary solution.
Keep in mind the moment you alter an extension you lose all rights to any support for it.

ALSO: In the future send all bug reports and feature requests and the like to the issues page of the repo linked in the opening post of this thread.
You can of course choose whatever icon you want for ABL.
I only meant that since ABL is replacing both ABP & ABE it would be nice to have an alternative icon as an option.

It´s not very likely that replacing an icon would impact the functionality of an add-on, is it...?
And in case of any weird problems the first thing to do while troubleshooting would (of course) be to replace my hacked version with the original.
But if the problem remains after that....

This is your first post:
Matt A Tobin wrote:Adblock Latitude is a direct fork of Adblock Plus specifically and exclusively targeted and developed for Pale Moon and its backend technologies.

See Moonchild's kind announcement: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6612

Get ABL now from the Pale Moon Add-ons Site: https://addons.palemoon.org/extensions/privacy-and-security/adblock-latitude/

Want to file a bug? You can do so directly at the GitHub repo here: https://github.com/Pale-Moon-Addons-Team/adblock-latitude, just click Issues and report!

What I said above about the icons was only meant as an idea that should be discussed.
And btw. where in that post do you say anything about posting suggestions at the GitHub repo ???
You said: "Want to file a bug? "....

Matt A Tobin wrote: My original intention of this thread was for releases and very brief Q and A not some 6 page list of complaints.
Really ?
This the [Official Thread] Adblock Latitude
So what do you expect....?

Also, in the future, if you want all suggestions or "complaints" posted somewhere else then please say so.
Otherwise we are all going to assume it´s meant to be posted in the Official Thread
Administrator on Windows Server to Workstation
Moderator (and "undercover" Admin) on The Windows Club Forum

Security: EAM, Comodo Firewall and HIPS, WinPatrol+, HOSTS-file, UAC (max), Sandboxie, NoScript and ADBlock.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-11-27, 17:23

In reply to post above as it is ridiculously long now..

Point the first: Yes, we can.

Points the second and third: I just did. :thumbup:

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2014-11-28, 13:05

After hving upgraded from PM24 to PM25.0.2 yesterday (on Linux Suse 11), I have just tried to install ABL. I previously had ABP 2.6.6 with filters EasyListItalu+EasyList, EasyPrivacy, MalwareDomains. I left it enabled during the installation of ABL (was that wrong ?).

ABL installed successfully, but the control screen (see attached screendump) looks strange (with lots of ampersands here and there) and the Filter preferences button does nothing. So I am not sure whether it is working or not.

Suggestions ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2014-11-28, 13:14

Lucio Chiappetti wrote:After hving upgraded from PM24 to PM25.0.2 yesterday (on Linux Suse 11), I have just tried to install ABL. I previously had ABP 2.6.6 with filters EasyListItalu+EasyList, EasyPrivacy, MalwareDomains. I left it enabled during the installation of ABL (was that wrong ?).

ABL installed successfully, but the control screen (see attached screendump) looks strange (with lots of ampersands here and there) and the Filter preferences button does nothing. So I am not sure whether it is working or not.

Suggestions ?
After installing Adblock Latitude, did you make sure to uninstall Adblock Plus?

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2014-11-28, 13:30

No, I did not uninstall it ... actually I kept it enabled during the install of ABL. I gathered from the ABL home page that ABL would pick up ABP preferences, so how could it do it if I uninstall it ?

What is the correct sequence of actions ?
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2014-11-28, 13:33

I think if you simply uninstall Adblock Plus now, you should be fine (you won't lose your filters and preferences).

chreid

Unread post by chreid » 2014-11-28, 13:42

Lucio Chiappetti wrote:No, I did not uninstall it ... actually I kept it enabled during the install of ABL. I gathered from the ABL home page that ABL would pick up ABP preferences, so how could it do it if I uninstall it ?

What is the correct sequence of actions ?
From the Add-ons site:
Adblock Latitude can be installed over the previously available Pseudo-Static version of Adblock Plus but you will have to uninstall the Pseudo-Static of Adblock Edge as these will conflict as will the orginal versions of ABP and ABE.

So yes there is a conflict.

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2014-11-28, 13:46

Correct, thanks.

I disabled both ABP and ABL, removed ABP, enabled ABL and then its control screen was OK. A tab showed also a splash screen with the correct sequence of instructions telling to remove ABP etc. ... but it appeared ONLY after I had removed it (catch 22) :mrgreen:

Now I see all the filters I previously had (plus a new extra one which I presume is bundled with ABL).

Thanks to Antonius for help and to Tobin for ABL !

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2014-11-28, 14:53

Hopefully last question.
Since I last installed ABL, when I start palemoon (from command line in a terminal window), I get plenty of messages in such window:

Code: Select all

[1417186273004] ABP timeline: Adblock Plus startup                                                                   (first event)
[1417186273005] ABP timeline: * Done registering public API                                                      (1)
[1417186273012] ABP timeline: * Entered filter listener initialization()                                         (7)
[1417186273012] ABP timeline: * * Entered ElemHide.init()                                                        (0)
Any way to disable them ?

Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2014-11-28, 19:30

I'm afraid I can't help you there. Maybe you should start a separate topic in the Pale Moon for Linux subforum.

pm_fun

Unread post by pm_fun » 2014-12-01, 16:32

Hi!
Why ABL requires almost twice more memory than ABP (Pale Moon Pseudo-Static), under the same conditions???
Screenshot_10.png
Screenshot_11.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-12-01, 21:23

You're complaining about 1MB of memory for an ad blocker? :wtf:
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

x-15a2

Unread post by x-15a2 » 2014-12-02, 00:00

Moonchild wrote:You're complaining about 1MB of memory for an ad blocker? :wtf:
...or less, actually more like 600kb. Could it be that different filter lists are in use between the 2?

Lunix

Unread post by Lunix » 2014-12-02, 01:39

Wow, how did you get that to be so low? Mine usually hovers around 15 megs of memory, and that's with only EasyList and a handful of custom blocks.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-12-02, 01:50

Lucio Chiappetti wrote:Hopefully last question.
Since I last installed ABL, when I start palemoon (from command line in a terminal window), I get plenty of messages in such window:

Code: Select all

[1417186273004] ABP timeline: Adblock Plus startup                                                                   (first event)
[1417186273005] ABP timeline: * Done registering public API                                                      (1)
[1417186273012] ABP timeline: * Entered filter listener initialization()                                         (7)
[1417186273012] ABP timeline: * * Entered ElemHide.init()                                                        (0)
Any way to disable them ?
Stuff output in a console window is obviously debugging information. Currently ABL is stil very much internally called ABP/Adblock Plus. I know of no way to disable it.
pm_fun wrote:Hi!
Why ABL requires almost twice more memory than ABP (Pale Moon Pseudo-Static), under the same conditions???
Screenshot_10.png
Screenshot_11.png
That is beyond trivial.

pm_fun

Unread post by pm_fun » 2014-12-02, 07:03

Moonchild wrote:You're complaining about 1MB of memory for an ad blocker? :wtf:
yes, because use old pc with low ram :(
x-15a2 wrote:Could it be that different filter lists are in use between the 2?
I wrote, that
pm_fun wrote:under the same conditions
I use own set of filters, total files size - about 20 kb

pm_fun

Unread post by pm_fun » 2014-12-02, 07:12

Lunix wrote:Wow, how did you get that to be so low? Mine usually hovers around 15 megs of memory, and that's with only EasyList and a handful of custom blocks.
I use these filters - http://straightway.ru/files/patterns.ini

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2014-12-02, 10:51

Matt A Tobin wrote: Stuff output in a console window is obviously debugging information. Currently ABL is stil very much internally called ABP/Adblock Plus. I know of no way to disable it
Well thanks. I obviously do not care of ABP vs ABL name. I hoped there was a way to suppress the debug info.
Possibly it will go away when I log out (which I do ... in more than one month ?) and PM will be restarted by the window manager at login. Now I started it from a terminal window, and so this one is catching the stderr output (it occurred also with some FF messages - but not ABP). If I'll get tired I'll close it.