Add-ons Site General Discussion

Anything to do with the Pale Moon add-ons website. (addons.palemoon.org)
Not for questions about add-ons themselves!
Forum rules
Important: This board is for specifics regarding the add-ons website (addons.palemoon.org) and not to report extension compatibility issues or discuss different extensions.
Please only post here when your topic is directly related to the add-ons website service so our moderators don't have to move your posts all the time...
edrtf20

Re: General Thread

Unread post by edrtf20 » 2014-10-12, 10:24

Matt A Tobin wrote:Well hot damn..
Looks like you will need to trawl through all the extensions again to see what works :lol:
Last edited by edrtf20 on 2014-10-12, 12:39, edited 3 times in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-12, 12:09

Thank you for your submission and I have downloaded then but removed the links.. Please see this thread: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=5951 for proper guidelines and instructions

edrtf20

Unread post by edrtf20 » 2014-10-12, 12:17

Well, It wasn't really a proper submission, it was just a temporary solution for people to use until you or someone did a proper edit. (in future I think I will just state what the problem is with the extension)

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-12, 12:51

edrtf20 wrote:Well, It wasn't really a proper submission, it was just a temporary solution for people to use until you or someone did a proper edit. (in future I think I will just state what the problem is with the extension)
Thank you

MonoS

Regarding PM v25 NicoFox compatibility

Unread post by MonoS » 2014-10-12, 15:13

Being the project open source [source here https://github.com/littlebtc/nicofox ] i took a look at where the problem can lay.

Moonchild said that some extension have the FF GUID hardcoded in the code, so i searched for the FF GUID and found that

Code: Select all

ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384
So i searched a bit into the NicoFox's files and found that in file chrome.manifest there are 4 instanced of this GUID on line 10-13

# Themes related
overlay chrome://browser/content/browser.xul chrome://nicofox/content/firefoxOverlay.xul application={ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}
overlay chrome://global/content/customizeToolbar.xul chrome://nicofox/content/customizeToolbarOverlay.xul application={ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}
override chrome://nicofox/skin/toolbar.css chrome://nicofox/skin/toolbarMac.css os=Darwin application={ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}
override chrome://nicofox/skin/toolbar.css chrome://nicofox/skin/toolbarLinux.css os=Linux application={ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}
and another instance on file install.rdf on line 21

<em:id>{ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}</em:id> <!-- Firefox / Iceweasel ... -->
Is it enough tochange this GUID with the PM one for making the extension work again??

Thanks for the attention

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2014-10-12, 18:08

Question: If an add-on works "out of the box" with version 25, is it safe to assume that such add-on would also work with future versions of Pale Moon? Would it also be safe to assume future versions of such an add-on would also continue to work? Or is there no guarantee of that? Just wondering.

Sorry if I wasn't supposed to put this here. There is no button for "New Topic" under "Browser Add-ons"

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2014-10-12, 18:46

If an add-on's future version is based on Australis only, it will most likely not work with Pale Moon - I do not know if it is possible to modify it that way that it would work, but i guess hoping for that one... in that case you have more or less bad cards.

As long as an add-on is not exclusively targeting the Australis UI only, things are different, in that case it will work or you need to modify it a bit. So, to make sure add-ons are not only Australis only, you better contact the developer of the add-ons which you want to have also for Pale Moon. But as it already was stated here quite some time, add-on devs are as it seems not that interested in supporting Pale Moon....

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Regarding PM v25 NicoFox compatibility

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-12, 21:06

Psuedo-static version will be forthcoming.. Stay tuned to the add-ons site.

__NM64__
Lunatic
Lunatic

Information for addon developers?

Unread post by __NM64__ » 2014-10-12, 21:47

I know that the addons page is still being developed, but I noticed that there's pretty much no information specifically for addon developers, or at least this information isn't easily found.

How would a dev know what to do to add Pale Moon support and/or get their addon listed on the website?

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Information for addon developers?

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-12, 22:57

We are SO not there yet.. The prime focus right now is on pseudo-static add-ons to mitigate the broken ones. THEN we can work on independent developers getting listed.. However, it will have to be through the forums and via me.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-10-13, 00:22

Sajadi wrote:But as it already was stated here quite some time, add-on devs are as it seems not that interested in supporting Pale Moon....
Not yet, anyway. ;)
Maybe they will become more interested when they actually realize that Pale Moon will offer a platform for them that will not require updates every 6 weeks to their extensions (with required research of what has changed and what needs to be rewritten, etc.). Current Mozilla 24.* extension code works and will remain working. There is no need to think about "CustomizableUI" or similar APIs, and no danger of the arbitrary removal of features or APIs in the back-end without much warning because it was "refactored to something more abstract" or what have you.

Time will tell...
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-10-13, 00:44

Basic information was posted in August and is available on this very forum.
See: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5440 especially the lower part of that announcement post.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

__NM64__
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by __NM64__ » 2014-10-13, 04:37

Moonchild wrote:Basic information was posted in August and is available on this very forum.
See: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5440 especially the lower part of that announcement post.
Ahhh, I see the issue that I was having - your above link isn't linked to at all on the http://addons.palemoon.org webpage, nor is it listed in this here subforum (the one linked from addons.palemoon.org):
viewforum.php?f=44

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-13, 05:04

Because the announcement predates the launching of the site.. Obviously.

Supernova

Unread post by Supernova » 2014-10-13, 06:36

It seems you reverse the thing Tobin : addons site and subforum are not in that announcement because the announcement was earlier ; however the addons site and subforum could have linked to the already existing announcement. This would probably be a good idea to add it ; making it easier to find for someone who don't already know where to search.

MonoS

Unread post by MonoS » 2014-10-13, 06:50

Thank you very much :)

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-13, 11:20

What I don't get in chrome.manifest.. is why they specified a per-application selection when Firefox is the only guid used.. Arbitrary.. If it supported Seamonkey that would be a reason.. but it .. doesn't.. It is specifically locked in to firefox for no justifiable reason. This will be the next add-on we do..

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2014-10-13, 18:03

I can help in that respect, for themes at least (that is, "complete themes", not lightweight themes/Personas). Assuming the theme that needs to be ported is compatible with Firefox 24 (if it's not, make sure it is before continuing), the work that needs doing is minimal. If it is compatible with Firefox 24 though, in theory it should work even without porting; some elements, like the URLbar RSS icon, will be missing however.

First of all and most importantly, edit install.rdf to change the UUID from Firefox to Pale Moon (as in, change {ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384} to {8de7fcbb-c55c-4fbe-bfc5-fc555c87dbc4}). Then, make sure minVersion is at least 24.0 (25.0 might work, though best be safe).

For the actual theme, add the following to browser.css; this is the URLbar feed icon, that shows whenever a page has an RSS feed:

#ub-feed-button,
    #ub-feed-button > .button-box,
    #ub-feed-button:hover:active > .button-box {
      padding: 0px;
      margin: 0px;
      border: 0px;
      background-color: transparent !important;
    }

#ub-feed-button {
      -moz-appearance: none;
      min-width: 0px;
      list-style-image: url("chrome://browser/skin/feeds/feedIcon16.png");
    }
Note that you can, of course, change the icon path/use a different icon/add hover/clicked states; this is just the easiest path if you want a no-frills icon. As long as those selector names stay the same, you're golden. :)

(OPTIONAL*) You can also implement support for Pale Moon's URLbar security padlocks. By default, they show in the identity box on secure sites. Add the following to either browser.css or a new CSS file (I recommend the latter personally, keeps thing tidy):

#padlock-ib[padshow="ib-trans-bg"][level="ev"] {
      list-style-image: url("padlock_mod_ev.png") !important;
      background-color: transparent;
    }

#padlock-ib[padshow="ib-trans-bg"][level="high"] {
      list-style-image: url("padlock_mod_https.png") !important;
    }

#padlock-ib[padshow="ib-trans-bg"][level="low"] {
      list-style-image: url("padlock_mod_low.png") !important;
    }

#padlock-ib[padshow="ib-trans-bg"][level="broken"] {
      list-style-image: url("padlock_mod_broken.png") !important;
    }

#padlock-ib-left[padshow="ib-left"][level="ev"] {
      padding:2px;
    }

#padlock-ib-left[padshow="ib-left"][level="high"] {
    }

#padlock-ib-left[padshow="ib-left"][level="low"] {
    }

#padlock-ib-left[padshow="ib-left"][level="broken"] {
    }

#padlock-ub-right[padshow="ub-right"][level="ev"] {
    }

#padlock-ub-right[padshow="ub-right"][level="high"] {
    }

#padlock-ub-right[padshow="ub-right"][level="low"] {
    }

#padlock-ub-right[padshow="ub-right"][level="broken"] {
    }

#padlock-sb[padshow="statbar"][level="ev"] {
    }

#padlock-sb[padshow="statbar"][level="high"] {
    }

#padlock-sb[padshow="statbar"][level="low"] {
    }

#padlock-sb[padshow="statbar"][level="broken"] {
    }

#padlock-tab[padshow="tabs-bar"][level="ev"] {
    }

#padlock-tab[padshow="tabs-bar"][level="high"] {
    }

#padlock-tab[padshow="tabs-bar"][level="low"] {
    }

#padlock-tab[padshow="tabs-bar"][level="broken"] {
    }
Note that this requires 4 icons, 3 of which you should already have elsewhere: padlock_mod_ev.png (should be identity-icons-https-ev.png in existing themes), padlock_mod_https.png (identity-icons-https.png), padlock_mod_low.png (identity-icons-mixed-active.png), and padlock_mod_broken.png (this icon doesn't already exist; you will need to make it!). You can, of course, add hover/clicked states as required; I just provided the easiest path to achieving full compatibility.

Hopefully anyone that wanted to port a FF24 theme to PM25 and up found this helpful. :)

*: Theming the padlocks is purely optional; if you don't, Pale Moon will provide its default icons. However, as these are fairly light-coloured to match the default theme, it might break UX a little, especially for dark themes.

Jossee

Unread post by Jossee » 2014-10-13, 21:16

Moonchild wrote:Time will tell...
You, or one of your mods, must be very short on time considering it took just a few minutes for a post of mine to be erased.
If this is your philosophy, deleting opinions and waiting for users and devs to come your way, you'll need to get ready for a bumpy road ahead.

Pnume

Unread post by Pnume » 2014-10-14, 02:21

I've two questions regarding pseudo-static add-ons:
  • What exactly is meant by 'pseudo-static''?
  • If the original add-on developers won't bother adding Pale Moon support to their add-ons, do you plan on regularly updating the add-ons on the Pale Moon add-ons site and, if so, will Pale Moon automatically update the pseudo-static add-ons (if, of course, Pale Moon is set to automatically update add-ons)?
Apologies in advance if any of this has already been answered.