Various bugs and annoyances

Discussions for the Apple Mac OS builds of Pale Moon

Moderator: dbsoft

Forum rules
Important note:
The old Mac OS versions of Pale Moon were provided by various people and not official or in any way organized. Please make sure you check the date of topic threads to know if the topic is current or relevant! We are using this board for both old discussions and new development of Pale Moon on Mac.

Any specific bugs you find that don't have their own topic yet: please make a new topic; one bug per topic please to keep things organized.
FineWine

Various bugs and annoyances

Unread post by FineWine » 2015-11-17, 23:31

1 - With NewMoon in full screen mode and you cursor to the top to drop down the MenuBar/TitleBar both are transparent/translucent. In FF they are solid. In Safari and other Mac App's/Programs they push down not over. This transparency/translucency is a little annoying. Prefer the FF way.

2 - Are you able to bring in the Email Link Button and the Forget Button and Speaker on Tab function

3 - In the latest builds of FF the Reload button has a Right Click drop down menu facility now as opposed to the old drop down menu arrow. This makes for a smaller and cleaner button.

4 - The centering of the buttons in the Nav-Bar whilst in Icon and Text mode is all over the place. They are dead centre in Icon or in Text mode.

5 - An auto update channel would be nice in the About New Moon panel.

6 - TMP+ Tab colours do not work. I have posted this in TMP+ forums. I am running the latest TMP+ builds.

Just love want you are doing. Mozilla/FF is becoming way to arbitrary and like Chrome. They are taking away the very essence of what FF stood for. I also love that NewMoon has half the memory foot print on my Mac.

Cheers

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Various bugs and annoyances

Unread post by back2themoon » 2015-11-25, 01:32

The Mac version is a prerelease one and not currently in development. It's also fairly old now and it's best to use another browser until Pale Moon makes an updated reappearance on the Mac.

HarmonicResonance

Unread post by HarmonicResonance » 2015-11-27, 16:38

back2themoon wrote:The Mac version is a prerelease one and not currently in development. It's also fairly old now and it's best to use another browser until Pale Moon makes an updated reappearance on the Mac.
An even more accurate statement is, "It would be in development, but..." Several of us have poked and prodded around but no-one has figured out how to carry on where BitVapor left off. It's a shame, too. I've got the PM trunk and the OS X dev tools, but what happens after that, I can't figure out even with looking at the Moz guidelines for building FF. :shock:

FineWine

Unread post by FineWine » 2015-11-27, 18:06

I understand that but I am just doing what the Forum rules state:
Forum rules
Important note:
The Mac OSX version of Pale Moon is still very much in development. Your assistance in bringing this build to fruition is greatly appreciated, but you can expect there to be bugs and problems for a while yet!

Any specific bugs you find that don't have their own topic yet: please make a new topic; one bug per topic please to keep things organized.
I also understand:
Please also note that these builds are currently created by BitVapor and Moonchild will likely not be able to provide insight or assistance due to lack of Mac hardware and OS/build knowledge for Mac.
It is a pity that it isn't in development but maybe someone will take it up here is hoping.

Keep up the good work

asimperson
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by asimperson » 2015-11-30, 05:33

HarmonicResonance wrote:
back2themoon wrote:The Mac version is a prerelease one and not currently in development. It's also fairly old now and it's best to use another browser until Pale Moon makes an updated reappearance on the Mac.
An even more accurate statement is, "It would be in development, but..." Several of us have poked and prodded around but no-one has figured out how to carry on where BitVapor left off. It's a shame, too. I've got the PM trunk and the OS X dev tools, but what happens after that, I can't figure out even with looking at the Moz guidelines for building FF. :shock:
I've actually been trying to build it off-and-on, but there's a lot of issues. Even if it's not "just right", it would be really nice to get BitVapor's patches just to get the build to go through.

If I ever get this to build I'll make the diffs available so at least other folks can try it without as much hassle.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-11-30, 20:09

Unfortunately BitVapor was using a working copy and never committed his code changes to the tree for the Mac build and theme changes, so unless he comes out of the woodwork to actually not have this code be completely lost, there isn't anything I or anyone else can do at the moment.

If you get Mac to a working state, Please do provide the diffs/patches to help the project improve :)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Sasparilla

Unread post by Sasparilla » 2015-12-01, 15:29

HarmonicResonance wrote:

HarmonicResonance - thanks for trying on this...just out of curiosity, can you successfully build OS X Firefox?

Milobinder

Unread post by Milobinder » 2015-12-01, 21:42

I, too, love using BitVapor's release and am sorry to see it languishing. I would be interested in contributing to a crowdfunding effort if that would help or just contributing directly. Alas I am not a programmer so can't help directly, just an appreciative user. BitVapor, if you're out there, let us know how we could help you continue development.

Sasparilla

Unread post by Sasparilla » 2015-12-03, 15:14

Milobinder wrote:I, too, love using BitVapor's release and am sorry to see it languishing. I would be interested in contributing to a crowdfunding effort if that would help or just contributing directly. Alas I am not a programmer so can't help directly, just an appreciative user. BitVapor, if you're out there, let us know how we could help you continue development.
I second Milobinder's sentiments here. I mainly work in Windows but I have several OS X users using Firefox that I support and would love to move them to Pale Moon if we could get a current build in OS X moving forward. With Mozilla in the process of burning the ships (killing off its Plugin Library and User Interface customizability etc.) the number of people looking to flee Firefox is only going to increase.

I'd gladly contribute as well.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-12-03, 20:13

It's great to see the willingness to contribute to make this happen, but there's a more valuable commodity missing than just money or hardware -- it is someone to actually build and maintain the Mac version. We need someone to actually step up and take over the torch from BitVapor; he's obviously not going to come back to the project, which will be the second person to start on Mac versions to just walk out on us. We simply don't have anyone in our current team that can take up this task; we're all already busy with our designated part of providing Pale Moon and all of the added services.

As I've also said before to people volunteering to maintain a branch in an official capacity: you don't necessarily have to do it as 100% charity either; I'll be more than happy to provide what compensation I can for spent time and expertise. I'd love to see a Mac version of Pale Moon come to fruition as well, but we simply need help to make it happen.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

HarmonicResonance

Unread post by HarmonicResonance » 2015-12-15, 23:44

Sasparilla wrote:
HarmonicResonance wrote:

HarmonicResonance - thanks for trying on this...just out of curiosity, can you successfully build OS X Firefox?
I haven't tried that, but that's a good idea. I figured one was as good as the other, but now I know that there are missing diffs, guess I should start with FF. I'll look into it.