Navigate Back/Forward shortcuts

Discussions for the Apple Mac OS builds of Pale Moon

Moderator: dbsoft

Forum rules
Important note:
The old Mac OS versions of Pale Moon were provided by various people and not official or in any way organized. Please make sure you check the date of topic threads to know if the topic is current or relevant! We are using this board for both old discussions and new development of Pale Moon on Mac.

Any specific bugs you find that don't have their own topic yet: please make a new topic; one bug per topic please to keep things organized.
Jazoray

Navigate Back/Forward shortcuts

Unread post by Jazoray » 2015-07-29, 14:50

In Pale Moon for Mac, the shortcuts CMD + LEFT_ARROW AND CMD + RIGHT_ARROW are used for the navigation functions Back and Forward.

However, these keyboard shortcuts are also used for "go to begin of line" and "go to end of line" when editing text. Similar to the home and end keys on IBM compatible PCs

This leads to the issue that Pale Moon for Mac sometimes interprets "CMD + LEFT_ARROW" as "Navigate back" when i only wanted the caret to move to the beginning of the line i was editing.

The result is that that i lose the text i was editing and sad feelings.

while i can edit the shortcut configuration using Keyconfig i would like to ask you to consider removing these shortcuts by default.

The common and expected keyboard shortcuts for navigate back and navigate forward on the mac are CMD + OPEN_SQUARE_BRACKET, and CMD + CLOSE_SQUARE_BRACKET, respectively. If i remember correctly, these shortcuts are there and enabled by default on Pale moon on Mac, so the dangerous CMD+Arrow shortcuts aren't even needed.

HarmonicResonance

Re: Navigate Back/Forward shortcuts

Unread post by HarmonicResonance » 2015-08-02, 20:43

Jazoray wrote:
[snip...]

The common and expected keyboard shortcuts for navigate back and navigate forward on the mac are CMD + OPEN_SQUARE_BRACKET, and CMD + CLOSE_SQUARE_BRACKET, respectively. If i remember correctly, these shortcuts are there and enabled by default on Pale moon on Mac, so the dangerous CMD+Arrow shortcuts aren't even needed.
Verified. CMD + [ and CMD + ] are enabled by default. Because the CMD+arrow shortcuts result in data loss, let's get rid of them (or allow the user to toggle between them if enough people use them as is). We shouldn't have both enabled by default.