Pale Moon (Mac) 25.4.0b2++ build

Discussions for the Apple Mac OS builds of Pale Moon

Moderator: dbsoft

Forum rules
Important note:
The old Mac OS versions of Pale Moon were provided by various people and not official or in any way organized. Please make sure you check the date of topic threads to know if the topic is current or relevant! We are using this board for both old discussions and new development of Pale Moon on Mac.

Any specific bugs you find that don't have their own topic yet: please make a new topic; one bug per topic please to keep things organized.
BitVapor

Pale Moon (Mac) 25.4.0b2++ build

Unread post by BitVapor » 2015-05-02, 18:08

Hi, all!

Here's the latest build including my work on the Mac Pale Moon theme. Note that this is not officially considered a "25.4.0b3 build" though it'll identify itself that way.
Screen Shot 2015-05-02 at 1.41.34 PM.png
Some improvements:
  • Reverted my unholy hackery to key browser assets which should increase compatibility with other themes and modifications
  • Removed white 5 pixel border on left and right sides of screen
  • Added hover-over for the bookmark toolbar and "library" window buttons
  • Fixed most (all?) of the missing bitmaps
Some known issues:
  • Fullscreen: odd menu problem identified by back2themoon (Note: problem is somehow related to Yosemite; Mavericks does not exhibit this)
  • Fullscreen: static status bar doesn't disappear, causing status to float above it
  • Continued minor problem with Flash player context menus
Please give this new build a try and mention other issues you may encounter in this thread. Thank you!

Edited to add: If you're upgrading from a previous build of Pale Moon/New Moon, please run it once from the command line with the "purgecaches" option. This will help ensure that the previous default theme is cleared out of your profile. E.g., if you've installed the browser to the default location:

Code: Select all

/Applications/NewMoon.app/Contents/MacOS/palemoon --purgecaches
palemoon-25.4.0b3-20150502-1738.en-US.mac64.dmg
Last edited by BitVapor on 2015-05-05, 13:30, edited 1 time in total.

bob-is-awesome

Re: Pale Moon (Mac) 25.4.0b2++ build

Unread post by bob-is-awesome » 2015-05-03, 17:21

I only notice one thing, and it isn't unique to this version. I can right-click on items in the drop-down bookmarks in Windows version of Pale Moon, but I can't do that here. I'm referring to the bookmarks button within Pale Moon, not on the top menu bar.

Thanks for all the hard work, I'm quite happy to have PM on OSX now! :D

mmmaco

Unread post by mmmaco » 2015-05-04, 03:20

Giving it a try, thanks for your continued work on this.

rampancy
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by rampancy » 2015-05-04, 13:13

Trying this out now. Thanks for your continued and hard work!

mmsmm

Unread post by mmsmm » 2015-05-04, 17:28

Thanks so much for this! Everything seems to be working great except that mouse clicks on the location bar don't seem to register at all. I have to use the "Open Location" keyboard shortcut to put the cursor in the bar, but once it's in there I can type in it just fine.

Mid-2011 Mac mini, OS 10.10.2

rampancy
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by rampancy » 2015-05-05, 00:00

BitVapor wrote: Some known issues:
  • Fullscreen: odd menu problem identified by back2themoon (Note: problem is somehow related to Yosemite; Mavericks does not exhibit this)
  • Fullscreen: static status bar doesn't disappear, causing status to float above it
  • Continued minor problem with Flash player context menus
Can you specifically state what the issue is with Flash player context menus? Everything seems to work fine for me on YouTube.

BitVapor

Unread post by BitVapor » 2015-05-05, 13:42

bob-is-awesome wrote:I only notice one thing, and it isn't unique to this version. I can right-click on items in the drop-down bookmarks in Windows version of Pale Moon, but I can't do that here. I'm referring to the bookmarks button within Pale Moon, not on the top menu bar.

Thanks for all the hard work, I'm quite happy to have PM on OSX now! :D
Confirmed. I'll check to see if the stock Mac FireFox supports this. If so, it may give me a clue as to where to look. Thanks for the report!
mmsmm wrote:Thanks so much for this! Everything seems to be working great except that mouse clicks on the location bar don't seem to register at all. I have to use the "Open Location" keyboard shortcut to put the cursor in the bar, but once it's in there I can type in it just fine.

Mid-2011 Mac mini, OS 10.10.2
I can't replicate this on 10.10.3 or 10.9.5. Please try the "purgecaches" option that I've added to the main post and see if that works for you.
rampancy wrote:Can you specifically state what the issue is with Flash player context menus? Everything seems to work fine for me on YouTube.
With a right-click on the Flash player window, the context menu will appear as normal. But, upon clicking anywhere else on the screen, the context menu will disappear and then re-appear to the right and below the initial right-click. It seems like there's a mousedown/mouseup/mouseclick event problem somewhere...

I appreciate the kind words of support!

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2015-05-05, 16:53

Thanks a lot BitVapor. Menu problem is gone, although strange you mention Yosemite, I'm always on Mavericks.
bob-is-awesome wrote:I only notice one thing, and it isn't unique to this version. I can right-click on items in the drop-down bookmarks in Windows version of Pale Moon, but I can't do that here. I'm referring to the bookmarks button within Pale Moon, not on the top menu bar.
Yes, that's a problem with Bookmarks and RSS folders in the Bookmarks Toolbar, too. Maybe it's a Mac / Firefox Mac limitation.

mmsmm

Unread post by mmsmm » 2015-05-05, 22:54

My attempt at quoting didn't work, but regarding my issue with not being able to click into the location bar:

It still happens after purging, but I just did some testing and narrowed it down a bit. Oddly enough, the issue only seems to occur with the interface customized so that the forward and back buttons are directly to the left of the location bar. Even stranger, it only seems to be happening when at the most recent page in the history for that tab. If I go to another page and go back, suddenly the location bar works no matter how things are arranged. Thanks for taking the time to look into it!

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2015-05-06, 09:41

Only issue for me so far is getting the ViewTube script to run properly with HTML5, videos won't load (same settings work on Windows, AP/FHD/MP4/MD enabled).

BitVapor

Unread post by BitVapor » 2015-05-06, 23:07

mmsmm wrote:Oddly enough, the issue only seems to occur with the interface customized so that the forward and back buttons are directly to the left of the location bar.
Okay, I confirmed that one. I noticed that inserting a "flexible space" between the back button and URL bar seemed to be a work-around for that. They're no longer jammed up against each other, but it's pretty darn close!
back2themoon wrote:Only issue for me so far is getting the ViewTube script to run properly with HTML5, videos won't load (same settings work on Windows, AP/FHD/MP4/MD enabled).
Okay, I'll take a look at it.

Tan920

Unread post by Tan920 » 2015-05-09, 11:54

Can you make a 32Bit mac build? My mac is very old Intel Mac (Intel Core Duo) and it does not run 64 bit at all.
I am running OSX 10.6.8.

HarmonicResonance

Unread post by HarmonicResonance » 2015-05-11, 20:56

Yay - new version of my favorite browser. Downloaded, installed, ran with the purgecaches option, and running now. Thanks for making this available, BitVapor. :thumbup:

teknowledgist

Unread post by teknowledgist » 2015-05-13, 03:51

Thank you so much for all the work you are doing.

So far, this version seems good except I still have all my status bar icons on the left instead of the right and I can't see the URL when I hover. The icons moved over there when I upgraded to 25.3.1. The location is not a big problem, just different than I'm used to on my Windows systems (and with FF).

Thanks again.
T.

bladestorm91

Unread post by bladestorm91 » 2015-05-19, 04:05

Is it just me or is the tab height in this Pale Moon theme bigger than the previous theme? The box size looks needlessly large, I prefer it to be as small as possible so as to not waste space.

smilr

Unread post by smilr » 2015-05-24, 16:43

Is there any chance you could include the previous default theme from your 25.2.1 release as a theme choice in future versions of New Moon?

I appreciate that you've put a lot of effort into making the new theme and it looks good, but I just prefer the darker mac gray theme from the old version. I'm still using 10.6.8 (they'll have to pry expose from my cold dead hands before I'll use its inferior replacement!) and the old theme fits in better in my opinion.

Either way - thank you for your hard work!

sugis

Unread post by sugis » 2015-06-02, 17:49

I just switched to PaleMoon Mac and it's fantastic! Much more responsive than Firefox, and good riddance to Australis! Here's to hoping that Mac builds become official soon, is there anything in particular the community could do to speed that along? Thanks for the hard work :thumbup:

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2015-06-14, 11:33

Maybe providing a full Mac virtual setup (via crowdfunding for example) could perhaps help, or is real hardware absolutely necessary?

sugis

Unread post by sugis » 2015-06-21, 15:16

Would something like http://www.hostmyapple.com/macvps.html or http://www.macincloud.com/ work? It looks like the approximate cost is $25/mo, is that in line with the support / donations that could be appropriated for the project? I'd happily toss in funding for the first month, and maybe volunteer to work with the developer(s) to set up Jenkins to automate builds.