Palemoon 25.1 build

Discussions for the Apple Mac OS builds of Pale Moon

Moderator: dbsoft

Forum rules
Important note:
The old Mac OS versions of Pale Moon were provided by various people and not official or in any way organized. Please make sure you check the date of topic threads to know if the topic is current or relevant! We are using this board for both old discussions and new development of Pale Moon on Mac.

Any specific bugs you find that don't have their own topic yet: please make a new topic; one bug per topic please to keep things organized.
BitVapor

Palemoon 25.1 build

Unread post by BitVapor » 2014-11-30, 20:30

Hello,

I'm a long-time application developer (Windows, Linux) who dove into Mac development a few months ago due to my employment. As part of my continuing effort to become acquainted with the platform and to see Pale Moon survive on the Mac, I've created a small patch set (attached) against the master branch that will allow a successful Mac build:

http://splunge.dreamhosters.com/palemoon-25.1.0.20141130.2209.en-US.mac64.dmg

The only abnormality I've noticed thus far is that the YouTube Flash player context menu is a little flaky. I've tested few add-ons (LastPass, Adblock Plus) but they're functional. The preexisting issues from the 24 build (status bar, theme) are still there.

Regarding libvpx, I'd personally like to see its build process align more closely to 31 ESR, but that was outside of the scope of this exercise and could potentially affect other platforms.

Anyway, I hope I can be of further assistance with Pale Moon development.
Attachments
mac-nsChildView.patch.txt
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1044497
(670 Bytes) Downloaded 81 times
palemoon-darwin-avx2.patch.txt
(293 Bytes) Downloaded 76 times
palemoon-info-plist.patch.txt
(415 Bytes) Downloaded 70 times
Last edited by BitVapor on 2014-11-30, 23:03, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Palemoon 25.1 build

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-11-30, 22:50

Thanks for tackling these patches! I'll get them merged into the tree soon - having a source tree back into a building state for Mac after the lib updates is a Good Thing™
Regarding libvpx, I'd personally like to see its build process align more closely to 31 ESR, but that was outside of the scope of this exercise and could potentially affect other platforms.
Actually, we've reverted the mozbuild changes for libvpx to be in line with our own version of the build system state. It's a bit of a mess anyway since the Mozilla tree has had (and still has) a rather messy mix of makefiles, python mozbuild, perl scripts and a few other choice build system tools. ESR 31 really isn't much better, and the mozbuild state there just leans more heavily (and ambiguously) on the python scripts with having moved some more things out of makefiles into the pseudo-python scripts. You can't just change the build system for one lib, it'd mean changing it for everything else in the tree.

Since it's still in an unfinished state (and relying on a language (python) that I and fellow devs aren't comfortably fluent in) any porting to our tree will have to be ported to the build system we are currently using. I'll have to have a look in the future what the sanest solution will be (a finished mozbuild system, a pure makefile system, or something else altogether).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

BitVapor

Unread post by BitVapor » 2014-12-01, 00:47

Yeah, I had the feeling that there was a reason for why libvpx was inserted the way it was into the source tree--and that pursuing an effort to make it look more like 31 ESR would be pulling the proverbial loose thread on a shirt until one winds up with a pile of thread rather than a functional product. So, I decided to not break what wasn't broken! Nevertheless, the newer build scripts are written in a fashion that makes sense to me. I still have plenty of spelunking to do to familiarize myself with the source tree.

bladestorm91

Unread post by bladestorm91 » 2014-12-01, 13:15

Thank you for your hard work BitVapor. Will we be getting the official Pale Moon version soon?

BitVapor

Unread post by BitVapor » 2014-12-01, 16:17

Hi, bladestorm91. I don't know how much effort is required to rectify the major remaining issues with the Mac build so I can't answer your question. But, I'll keep hacking away at them and post updates upon my successes.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-12-01, 20:14

I seem to have a bit of a problem with the patch files you attached. "patch" doesn't understand them, at the very least.
Would it be possible for you to supply git (or hg) style patches, instead, so I don't have to implement them manually?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

TanKe

Unread post by TanKe » 2014-12-02, 21:22

Glad to see a new mac build is in progress. Thanks.

bornagainpenguin

Unread post by bornagainpenguin » 2014-12-06, 02:16

Is there a reason why I shouldn't just install this over the current build (Version: 24.8.0b1 (x64)) I've been using?

BitVapor

Unread post by BitVapor » 2014-12-06, 03:13

TanKe wrote:Glad to see a new mac build is in progress. Thanks.
You're welcome!
bornagainpenguin wrote:Is there a reason why I shouldn't just install this over the current build (Version: 24.8.0b1 (x64)) I've been using?
I can't think of one, other than the slight weirdness in the YouTube Flash player which I didn't seem to experience in cyansmoker's build. Said weirdness doesn't prevent the Flash player from working, though. So long as people know that these are non-official builds, I feel that the more Mac testers, the better!

bornagainpenguin

Unread post by bornagainpenguin » 2014-12-06, 04:05

BitVapor wrote:
bornagainpenguin wrote:Is there a reason why I shouldn't just install this over the current build (Version: 24.8.0b1 (x64)) I've been using?
I can't think of one, other than the slight weirdness in the YouTube Flash player which I didn't seem to experience in cyansmoker's build. Said weirdness doesn't prevent the Flash player from working, though. So long as people know that these are non-official builds, I feel that the more Mac testers, the better!
Those don't seem to be deal-breakers for me. I'm running it now and while I haven't gone to youtube yet, everything I've done so far seems to be fine. Thanks for supporting us MacOS users.

--bornagainpenguin

Jazoray

Unread post by Jazoray » 2014-12-11, 19:46

Yay, develeopment of my favourite browser continues on my favourite OS.

I don't know who you are but i do know i love you. Allow me to send you pizza or beer?
Also why did you change the name?

an issue that i am having with PaleMoon on OSX is that sometimes the save dialog just doesn't appear. if it's a file that is saved straight to ~/Downloads , the file that arrives is a garbled letters filename always ending in .exe.part, about 2MB in size.

i can work around this in some situations using curl or another browser, but i'd still like to discover why this happens.
could be because i simply copied the profiles folder over from windows PaleMoon

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-12-12, 10:05

Jazoray wrote:Also why did you change the name?
It's using unofficial branding at the moment because it is still experimental - we agreed it was better, especially on Mac and the general user base there, to not market it as officially branded until it is at least somewhat more finished.

Jazoray

Unread post by Jazoray » 2014-12-27, 17:44

I found an adequate workaround for the "save as" download not working.

I'm using the firefox extension "down them all" (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... wnthemall/) now.
instead of using the builtin download/save as feature, i right click the link or image and select save with downthemall.
so if anyone has the same issue as me, this "fixes" it.

BitVapor

Unread post by BitVapor » 2014-12-30, 03:46

I'm just posting to let everyone know that I'm still interested in assisting with PM Mac development. My recent silence is due to a flurry of work and subsequent vacation. :D

I'll be of more assistance later in the new year.

rampancy
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by rampancy » 2015-01-04, 07:23

I've been using NewMoon as my main browser for a while and it works fantastic -- thanks so much for continuing the dream of PaleMoon on OS X. I haven't yet had the downloading issue but I'll keep an eye out for any weirdness.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2015-01-10, 19:45

Works great BitVapor, thanks for your efforts.

bornagainpenguin

Unread post by bornagainpenguin » 2015-01-12, 02:08

Started to get a strange cert error on Reddit--other than that everything seems to be great. Wish I knew why I was getting the error on Reddit. Do not want to add an exception when it mentions Paypal of all things--that makes me nervous about some sort of fishing activity. Have tried checking the time, deleting cookies, etc.

Looking forward to a new build when you can produce one.

metamud

Unread post by metamud » 2015-01-12, 11:31

Using NewMoon with NoScript and AddBlocker. Works great so far.
Adding a different search engine (Startpage (SSL)) also works.
Using synchronization to Owncloud 7 series which is why I switched from FF to PaleMoon / NewMoon.

tl;dr: Happy camper. :clap:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-01-12, 11:39

BitVapor wrote:I'm just posting to let everyone know that I'm still interested in assisting with PM Mac development. My recent silence is due to a flurry of work and subsequent vacation. :D

I'll be of more assistance later in the new year.
I think when you have time to look at the packaging issues for status bar as well as some theme adjustments that should be made for Mac, that it's otherwise relatively stable - do stay in touch as a Mac release would be a great thing to have in 2015 :)

BitVapor

Unread post by BitVapor » 2015-01-29, 02:41

Moonchild wrote: I think when you have time to look at the packaging issues for status bar as well as some theme adjustments that should be made for Mac, that it's otherwise relatively stable - do stay in touch as a Mac release would be a great thing to have in 2015 :)
Absolutely! I'm still in the learning phase regarding Mac development, and my trial-by-fire at work will only help my further contributions to this project.