PaleMoon 25 for OS X?

Discussions for the Apple Mac OS builds of Pale Moon

Moderator: dbsoft

Forum rules
Important note:
The old Mac OS versions of Pale Moon were provided by various people and not official or in any way organized. Please make sure you check the date of topic threads to know if the topic is current or relevant! We are using this board for both old discussions and new development of Pale Moon on Mac.

Any specific bugs you find that don't have their own topic yet: please make a new topic; one bug per topic please to keep things organized.
cyansmoker

PaleMoon 25 for OS X?

Unread post by cyansmoker » 2014-10-15, 06:00

FYI: I have been trying for a while now to build PM 25 for OS X.
Unfortunately, building vpx support has proven quite challenging on this platform: somehow, OS X, both Mavericks and Yosemite, absolutely detests avx instructions. They are supported by the CPU, though, so I'll keep trying!

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: PaleMoon 25 for OS X?

Unread post by back2themoon » 2014-10-16, 23:34

Thanks for trying! :)

(btw I dislike Macs, but have to work on one)

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-17, 00:03

cyansmoker wrote:FYI: I have been trying for a while now to build PM 25 for OS X.
Unfortunately, building vpx support has proven quite challenging on this platform: somehow, OS X, both Mavericks and Yosemite, absolutely detests avx instructions. They are supported by the CPU, though, so I'll keep trying!
Ok.. this is one of the things i needed to know about.. The translation from moz.build from m-r28 to the Pale Moon had this as a conditional.

Please apply the attached patch and try building again.
vp9_avx2.patch.txt
(736 Bytes) Downloaded 103 times

greyfoxsylux

Unread post by greyfoxsylux » 2014-10-21, 15:32

Are you trying AVX in general, or something specific like AVX2? Apple doesn't like (to my knowledge) using old technologies (like their requirement and push for 64-bit applications and don't even offer multiarchitecture builds of their OS) and prefer newer instructions be used. If you were trying specifically AVX, I'd say try using AVX2 since newer Intel processors support those newer instruction sets.

TanKe

Unread post by TanKe » 2014-10-26, 19:04

Hi.
Any progress for Palemoon 25.x Macosx?

rampancy
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by rampancy » 2014-11-02, 08:10

I don't mean to nag, but I too am eagerly awaiting PaleMoon 25. The current 24.8.0b1 is fantastic and except for it not loading up Unity or Silverlight, it works absolutely perfectly for me.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-11-02, 08:46

I think we may need someone else to maintain Mac and Linux builds at this rate... :problem:
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

bornagainpenguin

Unread post by bornagainpenguin » 2014-11-02, 16:47

Also not trying to nag, but since I'm getting this message and am in fact on an older (24.x) version of the browser it occurs to me that this could be problematic.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-11-02, 20:14

Please do keep in mind that Mac is still very much in an experimental stage. We only have one person with the hardware to build these, the theme isn't aligned, there's a VPX library issue that needs to be sorted out, etc.
Unfortunately this one person with the right setup is not really available right now. Also unfortunately, most Mac end-users aren't in the position to take over this maintenance role to help the project out. It's a different audience.

This is also why I have not made any official announcement yet of it being released. Mac OSX is, unfortunately, difficult to support and develop unless you have the proper Mac hardware (unlike other operating systems).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

bladestorm91

Unread post by bladestorm91 » 2014-11-04, 00:57

Hi, first time poster and user of PaleMoon 24.8.0b1 for mac here. I was very surprised that most stuff worked when I migrated from Firefox to Pale Moon for mac and was very pleased. Though there are a few things that bug me about PaleMoon like the way it handles the ctrl+tab shortcut (the tab preview is unnecessary in my opinion and why last selected tab instead of right or left neighbor tab?), that is annoying. But what I want to ask is if there will be h.263 support for PaleMoon 25 (for mac)? And also what about MSE support?

mclarck17

Unread post by mclarck17 » 2014-11-10, 09:20

So what is your progress now in making PaleMoon 25 for OS X?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-11-10, 11:13

Unfortunately our previous maintainer (cyansmoker) has resigned from his role. Linux has been picked up by someone new, but Mac has not, yet.

This means Mac OS X development is currently at a standstill, and without the proper hardware there is no way to build Mac binaries, either. None of us have access to this kind of hardware at the moment.

To make this happen, we need a new, dedicated Mac maintainer for the Pale Moon project who has the right equipment and who is willing to put in the time to build and update Mac versions. Mac will also likely need more intensive tech support to users from the maintainer due to the general audience catered to.
Until such time as we have a new maintainer, no new Mac builds will be made, and no Pale Moon 25 (still experimental for Mac, anyway!) will be released.