Pale Moon for Mac OSX 24.7.1

Discussions for the Apple Mac OS builds of Pale Moon

Moderator: dbsoft

Forum rules
Important note:
The old Mac OS versions of Pale Moon were provided by various people and not official or in any way organized. Please make sure you check the date of topic threads to know if the topic is current or relevant! We are using this board for both old discussions and new development of Pale Moon on Mac.

Any specific bugs you find that don't have their own topic yet: please make a new topic; one bug per topic please to keep things organized.
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Pale Moon for Mac OSX 24.7.1

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-08-03, 11:56

A very first build of Pale Moon for Mac OSX is now available, thanks to cyansmoker, our Linux maintainer :)

Since this is a first build, you may have stability issues and the theme may not exactly be what you would expect from Pale Moon.

Please note that this build is supplied as a dmg, for 64-bit Mac OSX only. OSX requirement is 10.8.3 or later (if I understood correctly).
Please correct me if I'm wrong in any of this - I haven't been able to personally test this since I don't have the hardware for it ;)

Download the dmg from http://relmirror.palemoon.org/release/palemoon-24.7.1.mac64.dmg
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Pale Moon for Mac OSX 24.7.1

Unread post by back2themoon » 2014-08-03, 16:28

Thanks a lot. Version number is different but is it the same as 24.8.0b1 we got here? Is it safe to install 24.7.1 over that one?

update: installed it with no problems. Seems like the same version.

Mican

Unread post by Mican » 2014-08-04, 02:14

Thank you very much. This release installed just fine on my iMac running OS X 10.9.4. Pale Moon seems to work fine with no apparent issues so far.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2014-08-04, 08:01

I'm having the same issues mentioned here. Do these apply for you Mican?

Mican

Unread post by Mican » 2014-08-05, 01:24

back2themoon wrote:I'm having the same issues mentioned here. Do these apply for you Mican?
I cannot speak for the Firefox issue as I do not have it, but as to the docked icon and maximised window issues, they do not appear on my machine. So far this release appears flawless.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2014-08-05, 14:35

Great to know, thanks. What about the Status Bar, does it work properly? Can you find the options? I'm not on the Mac now but didn't have any luck with it.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-08-05, 14:58

I think the Mac packaging code needs to be adjusted to include the status bar code. It's probably just missing at this point.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Mican

Unread post by Mican » 2014-08-05, 15:04

back2themoon wrote:Great to know, thanks. What about the Status Bar, does it work properly? Can you find the options? I'm not on the Mac now but didn't have any luck with it.
Yes, the status itself works fine with my iMac running OS X 10.9.4, although the status appears in the lower left hand corner in a small pop-up window rather than in the status bar itself. I do not see status bar options listed.

The status pop-up window appears whenever the cursor passes onto a link or browser operations occur, whether or not the "View Status Bar" option is selected. The width of the status pop-up window changes to accommodate the information contained therein. The area within the status bar remains blank, therefore I leave the status bar turned off, as the status pop-up window is always active.

As far as I can tell, everything works. It works with Java 7 Update 67 and installed digital certificates and the British English language pack and spellchecking dictionary too.

Mican

Unread post by Mican » 2014-08-06, 16:45

Upon further use, I find that all the available OS X trackpad gestures work within Pale Moon for OS X. The Mercury Connect extension for Firefox also works fine to link this version of Pale Moon to the Mercury browser on my mobile devices.

Evil Moo

Unread post by Evil Moo » 2014-08-07, 22:40

I gave this a go at work today (where, much to my displeasure, I must use a Mac (running OS X 10.9.4 as I recall)) and it worked as expected other than the missing status bar stuff. I installed the Status-4-Evar extension to restore this functionality for the moment, with no ill effects that I could see.

Thanks a lot for widening the reach of my favourite browser. :)

Mican

Unread post by Mican » 2014-08-08, 18:49

After further use, I can confirm that the Adobe Acrobat NPAPI Plug-in, Version 10.1.10, does not work with this release of the PM browser. The browser window remains blank when rendering a PDF document.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-08-08, 18:55

Mican wrote:After further use, I can confirm that the Adobe Acrobat NPAPI Plug-in, Version 10.1.10, does not work with this release of the PM browser. The browser window remains blank when rendering a PDF document.
You may want to check for a different plugin, or simply make sure to always open it in the dedicated reader application (which I recommend, anyway).

Mican

Unread post by Mican » 2014-08-08, 20:14

Moonchild wrote: You may want to check for a different plugin, or simply make sure to always open it in the dedicated reader application (which I recommend, anyway).
Thank you very much for the suggestion. I can also copy the link and open it with Adobe Acrobat, which also works.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2014-08-09, 10:26

I uninstalled Firefox and the small problems I had are gone. It's working just fine, the only problem seems to be the Status Bar which works but probably isn't well integrated, and cannot be configured. I also hope you could keep up with the Windows version with a nice auto-updater.

What a breath of fresh air in the annoying MacOS X! :twisted:

update: Sync also does not seem to work.

Mican

Unread post by Mican » 2014-08-11, 19:06

I just came across this thread with respect to the Adobe PDF plug-ins: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4751. I think that the issue that I mentioned with respect to the non-functionality of the Adobe Acrobat NPAPI Plug-in Version 10.1.10 may be more of an Adobe bug than a problem with the OS X version of PM. I have adopted the suggested solution of setting Application Preferences to open PDF content with the stand-alone Adobe Acrobat application and that works fine. It is really a more satisfactory option than viewing PDF content in a browser window anyway.

This first release of PM 24.7.1 for OS X is excellent and I am very pleased with it.

Plagueheart

Unread post by Plagueheart » 2014-08-17, 00:13

Hi there!

I am so glad to see Pale Moon for OSX at last. Will we be getting a version of the migration assistant? I'd like to move over from Firefox but I've got a lot of saved stuff that needs to come with me.

HandyMac

Unread post by HandyMac » 2014-08-17, 14:41

Great to see Pale Moon now available for MacOS; thanks, cyansmoker. Working fine so far.

One puzzlement, however: Is the name Pale Moon (as on the project home page, forum page, etc.), or Palemoon (the name on the icon of the application, also the name that shows in the Application menu on the menu bar – though elsewhere in the program it shows as Pale Moon)?

Also, I note that the .dmg of the program, when mounted, shows a Firefox volume icon.

And the application icon is kind of huge – I guess it uses every last available pixel? Anyway, it would look better in the Dock if it were a little smaller – matching the size of the other application icons.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2014-08-17, 20:24

Previously mentioned issues still remain: window size/position not always remembered after a browser restart, and dock(ed) icon appears twice at times.

Daikun
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Daikun » 2014-08-23, 21:52

How am I just now noticing this? :wtf:

Can this also be installed on iPhones/iPads, or is this for Mac desktops and laptops only?

Supernova

Unread post by Supernova » 2014-08-23, 22:05

IIRC, mac osx is not the same as what is one phones/tablets ; so it's no.