Cannot load web.whatsapp.com

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
leomate

Cannot load web.whatsapp.com

Unread post by leomate » 2015-03-01, 06:02

In my palemoon 25.2.0 AVX 64bit cannot load https://web.whatsapp.com/ (stuck in loading progress), but with firefox it can load correctly.

IS there anyone have a same problem?

squarefractal

Re: Cannot load web.whatsapp.com

Unread post by squarefractal » 2015-03-01, 10:27

Its a Chrome only service, so it doesn't work on any version of Pale Moon.

Faking the user agent wouldn't be help here, since it uses newly implemented features in Chrome.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-03-01, 10:47

Looks like a javascript error:

Code: Select all

Timestamp: 01/03/2015 11:44:31
Error: TypeError: window.Intl is undefined
Source File: https://web.whatsapp.com/app_b6df8284957e6c64deb1.js
Line: 5
Without knowing what exactly they are trying to do and why this js error occurs in their script that is either ignored or bypassed in Firefox or Chrome, there's little I can do to "make it work". The js is minified which makes it impossible to debug, the only recourse would be to contact whatsapp.com and ask for details or ask for a script fix on their side.

EDIT: Never mind the latter. Disabling Firefox compatibility mode for WhatsApp shows a refusal screen:
WhatsApp Web
Send and receive WhatsApp messages right from your computer.
WhatsApp Web requires Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera.
They don't and won't support Pale Moon. You must use one of their supported clients.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

leomate

Unread post by leomate » 2015-03-01, 12:34

squarefractal wrote:Its a Chrome only service, so it doesn't work on any version of Pale Moon.

Faking the user agent wouldn't be help here, since it uses newly implemented features in Chrome.
Initial web whatsapp release it only support Chrome and support Opera unofficially. Now it support Firefox (That Palemoon based on mozilla source code). So i think there's something different in engine.
Moonchild wrote:Looks like a javascript error:

Code: Select all

Timestamp: 01/03/2015 11:44:31
Error: TypeError: window.Intl is undefined
Source File: https://web.whatsapp.com/app_b6df8284957e6c64deb1.js
Line: 5
Without knowing what exactly they are trying to do and why this js error occurs in their script that is either ignored or bypassed in Firefox or Chrome, there's little I can do to "make it work". The js is minified which makes it impossible to debug, the only recourse would be to contact whatsapp.com and ask for details or ask for a script fix on their side.

EDIT: Never mind the latter. Disabling Firefox compatibility mode for WhatsApp shows a refusal screen:
WhatsApp Web
Send and receive WhatsApp messages right from your computer.
WhatsApp Web requires Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera.
They don't and won't support Pale Moon. You must use one of their supported clients.
So it means error in javascript engine palemoon?
Maybe dev should contact to web.whatsapp developer and trying to make it supported

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-03-01, 12:47

leomate wrote:So it means error in javascript engine palemoon?
Maybe dev should contact to web.whatsapp developer and trying to make it supported
No, it means that Firefox has added more "Chrome parity" to their javascript engine which makes it run on Firefox. Considering there is no standard for javascript beyond ES5 (which is fully supported by Pale Moon), anything additionally implemented is a bonus feature that can't really be considered an error if it's not in the standard. In my opinion, this means that it's the web designer's fault for implementing their script in this way, using drafts, and not checking for support in the browser. The fact that it works in Firefox is a "bonus", but it's obviously not initially designed for it. There is no guarantee that their site works in any browser but the ones they officially support.
Of course the web dev will blame Pale Moon for not providing a script engine exactly to the draft specifications they used, in return. Such is the problem with people using draft specs, suggestions and proposals on production sites.

Pale Moon may be based on Firefox, but it is certainly not equal to it. So you can't automatically assume that everything that works in Firefox also works in Pale Moon, or the other way around!
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2015-03-01, 20:03

Well, they seem to also have quite a bad user agent sniffing behavior - Even with Vivaldi Browser (which is Chromium based) the site does not work, i only get too the screen that it only works on selected browsers.

Quite restrictive.

somethiax

Unread post by somethiax » 2015-03-15, 17:38

Access to web.whatsapp.com is a determining factor for using palemoon or not. someone please fix this!!!

Doelli
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Doelli » 2015-03-30, 19:18

I would be nice, if it was possible to use WhatsApp by using Pale Moon, too.
Until then i will use FireFox Portable...

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2015-04-02, 04:28

Please contact WhatsApp directly and ask them to support Pale Moon.

FWIW, the site loads fine for me using Pale Moon 25.3.1 x64 on Linux if I enable Firefox Compatibility mode.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2015-04-02, 13:15

trava90 wrote:FWIW, the site loads fine for me using Pale Moon 25.3.1 x64 on Linux if I enable Firefox Compatibility mode.
When I enabled Firefox Compat mode, I get the same result (site loads fine) as you using 64 bit linux Pale Moon 25.3.1 in 64 bit linux Mint 17 (XFCE).
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Doelli
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Doelli » 2015-04-02, 18:38

I already used Pale Moon in Firefox Compatibility Mode, but it doesn`t work before.
I`d disabled and re-enabled NoScript on web.whatsapp.com, restarted Pale Moon and after that it works fine. Strange, but it works!
Thanks for your help!

leomate

Unread post by leomate » 2015-04-13, 12:57

After some long research, I got this addon and make whatsapp work in palemoon :)
https://github.com/elopez/enablewhatsap ... pp-web.xpi

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-04-13, 13:17

All this add-on does is force a specific UA. We can do that without any add-ons.. Someone who has a whatsapp account try adding a new string in about:config

Name: general.useragent.override.web.whatsapp.com
Value: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/37.0.2049.0 Safari/537.36

and see if it works..

leomate

Unread post by leomate » 2015-04-16, 13:33

Matt A Tobin wrote:All this add-on does is force a specific UA. We can do that without any add-ons.. Someone who has a whatsapp account try adding a new string in about:config

Value: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/37.0.2049.0 Safari/537.36

and see if it works..
Worked like charm :)

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-04-16, 13:59

So.. just a case of UA bias.. Any Chrome UA should do the trick not necessarily that one..

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-05-13, 18:15

What do you think; should I make this a "baked in" override? Because I doubt that Google will be listening to requests for this - It's been an uphill battle just getting them to try and take notice for Google Maps already...

tribaljet
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by tribaljet » 2015-05-16, 18:01

The odd bit is that I've been using web.whatsapp.com without any issues since v25.3.x, not having changed the user agent at any point in time.

Would that override act as a sort of "Chromium Compatibility Mode"?
Portuguese translator of Pale Moon

henrywillian171

Unread post by henrywillian171 » 2015-08-18, 18:35

How ever you can alternatively run whatsapp on emulator . i found something helpful for you take a look
http://www.techtweetz.com/whatsapp-for- ... -computer/

LL25255252
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by LL25255252 » 2015-09-05, 23:15

Matt A Tobin wrote:All this add-on does is force a specific UA. We can do that without any add-ons.. Someone who has a whatsapp account try adding a new string in about:config

and see if it works..
Not working for me. :cry:
The browser crashes a few seconds after trying to load the page.

Is there another solution?
Thanks in advance.

PM 25.7.0 (x64)
Win 7 x64

squarefractal

Unread post by squarefractal » 2015-09-06, 02:44

Reproduced here on Pale Moon 25.7 and 26.0.0b2 on Windows x64, on both clean and normal profiles.