Firefox's seppuku continues...

General discussion and chat (archived)
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Firefox's seppuku continues...

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-02-17, 00:33

half-moon wrote:If you ask me, Chrome is the new MSIE.
Look like it.

Seems like whomever has a majority share sees it as their "mission" to push some proprietary junk and make it "standard" just because they think "it's a good idea" without listening to feedback.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Thrawn

Unread post by Thrawn » 2016-02-17, 03:37

To be fair, Google is unlikely to pull an IE6-style rest-on-our-laurels stunt. They're all about rapid release.

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2016-02-18, 02:45

LimboSlam wrote:Maybe not, but a beauty pageant just like Flock (mockups). Because it worked out so well for them........ Yeah I don't know about that? ;) :? :wtf:

See here: http://www.ghacks.net/2016/02/15/firefo ... e-updates/
Oh the horror! It seems like a high school final project for computer science. Or "I love macOS" which is the same. Too much visual eye candy but less information for see, wasted space, useless features that nobody asked for... meh.

I know that people says that Chrome is the new MISE, maybe because is a forced installation in half of the freeware around. But I meant that is the new MSIE 6 in the terms of security, if hackers don't feel pleasure in crack the code of Mozilla, then is really way insecure.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2016-03-05, 22:05

half-moon wrote:If you ask me, Chrome is the new MSIE.
Off-topic:
This. Though perhaps a little less likely to get you infected, but they make up for that with information gathering.

The fact that more and more sites are gravitating towards Chrome's standards and away from... well, actual standards is rather disappointing. How can the Open Web™ remain truly Open if it's only available to a handful of browsers? Tyranny by majority I suppose.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

Weishaupt

Unread post by Weishaupt » 2016-03-06, 08:52

A very interesting read, Mozilla's employee spills the beans on the state of the company:

http://news.slashdot.org/comments.pl?si ... d=51642315

:clap:

gi_jimbo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by gi_jimbo » 2016-03-06, 09:15

If they truly are a Moz employee, I could easily see them losing their job over a post like that. :shock:
- James

Why I love Pale Moon: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11079#p77697

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-03-06, 12:48

As someone with a more than passing interest in Mozilla politics for the last six years that sounds about right.. The higher up execs being THAT corrupted is sort of new news but not surprising..

The next post was "forking MoFo (Mozilla Foundation)".. Yes... I wonder.. What kind of mad group of people would even attempt to try to do something that radical.. hmmmmm :shh:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-03-06, 12:49

gi_jimbo wrote:If they truly are a Moz employee, I could easily see them losing their job over a post like that. :shock:
You actually wouldn't believe what was relayed the other day from a Mozilla employee, taken from #seamonkey over at the Mozilla IRC server. I sent him an e-mail about it asking for at the very least an apology but no reply yet, and probably won't get one. Certainly enough in my book to count as slander, and worthy of losing one's employment over, because you do NOT act like this as a representative of your company in a public channel, throwing out unfounded bullshit without any sort of data to back it up painting us black.
18:04 KaiRo Pale Moon is destroying code and extorting money though
18:05 KaiRo you guys are good for nothing else than copying code and bashing others
18:17 KaiRo Pale Moon is highly insecure crap made by Firefox haters, people installing that are infected the moment they do
Source: http://logs.glob.uno/?c=mozilla%23seamonkey&s=2+Mar+2016&e=2+Mar+2016

So, according to Robert Kaiser, a Mozilla employee, we are (somehow) extorting money... (from whom? how?) That's a serious accusation because extortion is a criminal offense last I checked. And if not true, it counts as slander, which is a crime in itself.
And "destroying code"? How exactly? By removing telemetry tracking nonsense or code we never intend to ship? :D
Additionally, we are "copying code"... err.. yes? This is still all Open Source; if you don't want your product forked and have code adopted from your project, then don't make it Open Source to begin with? The FOSS community isn't just a "free resource to take from but not give back to". I wonder how many "Mozilla principles" are broken right there.
And we're labeled as Firefox haters... I don't hate Firefox at all; I'm sad to see it careening towards the abyss, but I don't hate it.
Highly insecure crap? Really now, Robert? Highly insecure, how exactly? Highly insecure by keeping up with your Mozilla Security team bugs every 6 weeks and auditing a good number of restricted BMO bugs to port what is applicable? Highly insecure by being ahead of the playing field in some areas?...

So yeah, I'd better get something in response or I'll pass the buck up to management @ mozilla.com, because I will not have this kind of hateful, unsubstantiated nonsense spouted by a MozCo employee. I can sort of understand Pale Moon-hating MozillaZine zealots making such statements, and I'll leave them to their little Firefox-worship there, but this - coming from this source - is anti-competitive slander.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

jez9999
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by jez9999 » 2016-03-06, 13:07

Heh, so apparently KaiRo isn't just a prick to me, he's a prick to everyone. :)

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2016-03-06, 14:12

So Robert Kaiser aka KaiRo is just a MozCo troll.
I wonder why he troll so much against Pale Moon. It is because he like Pale Moon more then firefox but just can't say this, as a "true MozCo member/ fan" or is this a simple stupi* attack.
So yeah, i would definite send Mozilla that attack "feedback" against Pale Moon, as Moonchild wrote.

Lets see how many other MozCo/ Mozilla/ firefox fans are switch to Pale Moon in the end :mrgreen:

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2016-03-06, 19:59

This angers me so much!! :evil: :wtf: I need a walk, brb.
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-03-07, 05:56

This came up in an idle search... it is from what you could term as a blog post on mozilla.org back in 1998 in regards to Netscape being acquired by AOL.. It is an interesting read.. Especially with recent events.. http://www-archive.mozilla.org/fear.html
Jamie Zawinski (23-Nov-98) wrote: But be clear on this: the agenda of Mozilla is set by those who contribute to it. If you believe that mozilla.org is just a smokescreen, that the organization exists only to swindle you out of your hard work for the benefit of some shambling inhuman beast of a corporation, then don't contribute to it. Take the source code, and build your own browser based on it. Fork the tree. Do what's right.
Mozilla should really look to their past for ways to make the future better... It is pretty well confirmed they KNEW what the right course was...

ALSO, challenge accepted!

Daikun
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Daikun » 2016-03-07, 11:34

gi_jimbo wrote:If they truly are a Moz employee, I could easily see them losing their job over a post like that. :shock:
Reading that post, it sounded like he left Mozilla already, so he had nothing to lose.

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2016-03-08, 03:27

Sad! But the truth. :(

Read here, an insider speaks up: http://news.slashdot.org/comments.pl?si ... d=51642315

EDIT: So it seems we're mention (Moonchild specifically) on ghacks about this suppose rumor. Actually it's the writer of the who mentions Moonchild and our forum. See here: http://www.ghacks.net/2016/03/07/whats- ... nt-3829487.

FYI: slashdots comments may be a bit rude and so untrue, please don't take the bait. :)
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime

loxodont
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by loxodont » 2016-03-08, 18:01

I don't wanna go into speculation about real facts and emotions of this employee. Might be truth in it. I agree with Mozilla giving a ratass about user needs. What I rather disagree with is his claim Mozilla Corp. did not follow the usual company/market trends to come to that point, like: 'all would be better, if they behaved like a real company and had focused on the market'. From all public news about MozCo and FF I would hold against that, everything from 'chromification' to ads and now IoT was driven by trying to gain more market share - and, at last, highest manager income level is also conform with market rules.
Mozilla didn't obey enough to the market? - sorry but, I want to believe... pls, think twice. ;)

IMHO one of the most interesting sentences in mentioned ghacks article is the last one:
All features mentioned up to this point can be disabled easily in Firefox which is undeniably one of the strengths of the browser.
Sure, I like high configurability, but is it strength of a browser if many core users have to disable more unwanted features with every release? In that view Win10 would be the best OS ever, because you can disable up to 30(?) default telemetry settings (if you knew them all).

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2016-03-10, 05:42

Off-topic:
LimboSlam wrote:FYI: slashdots comments may be a bit rude and so untrue, please don't take the bait. :)
Slashdot is a huge bait news site, I need really a new site for my IT news. Any suggestion people? Anyway I left a small pee in the comment of that guy :mrgreen:

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2016-03-10, 05:50

Moonchild wrote:So yeah, I'd better get something in response or I'll pass the buck up to management @ mozilla.com, because I will not have this kind of hateful, unsubstantiated nonsense spouted by a MozCo employee. I can sort of understand Pale Moon-hating MozillaZine zealots making such statements, and I'll leave them to their little Firefox-worship there, but this - coming from this source - is anti-competitive slander.
This is a desperate move, for start open source is what means plain and quick: OPEN. Ready to fork and change. So under this scope, this guy think that Libre Office people is a code stealing, Open Office heater and profit reaper weasels. Right? :crazy: If I remember Libre Office born because it wanted to save Open Office project from mismanagement from Oracle. So Pale Moon born for save Firefox from the mismanagement from Mozilla.

PS. I don't hate Firefox, I just hate their retard Australis UI and how they removed control over the browser settings. :mrgreen:

Manabi

Unread post by Manabi » 2016-03-12, 08:38

Moonchild wrote:And we're labeled as Firefox haters... I don't hate Firefox at all; I'm sad to see it careening towards the abyss, but I don't hate it.
I think their confusion there is that we hate what Firefox is trying to become, which appears to be some bastard love-child with Chrome. Only taking the worst ideas and tossing the best from both browser's histories. I loved what Firefox was, but I certainly hate what they're trying to make it. If I had to choose only between Chrome or NeoFirefox, I'd go with Chrome. I really dislike Chrome's UI, but at least it's executed better than NeoFirefox.

Of course I have more choices than that so I'm sticking with Pale Moon. :D

Daikun
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Daikun » 2016-03-20, 23:20

Troubling news from this year's Pwn2Own event.
The results of this year's Pwn2Own security contest are in and things are not looking good for Windows and Apple OS X, the browsers Safari, Edge and Chrome, and Adobe Flash as they have all been pwned by participating security teams.

Firefox was not part of the 2016 contest because it has not "made serious security improvements in the last year" according to Brian Gorenc, manager of Vulnerability Research at HPE, which sponsored the 2016 event together with TrendMicro.
Wow.