You Tube

General discussion and chat (archived)
Margaret

You Tube

Unread post by Margaret » 2015-03-01, 16:22

Hello

I rarely look at you tube but I have discovered it does not work for me any more. It says it is loading but I just get the 'f' from 'flashblock'. I have added you tube to 'flashblock's' whitelist but still no joy. Any suggestions?

I apologise in advance if I have posted this in the wrong place, nowhere seemed quite right.

Margaret

megaman

Re: You Tube

Unread post by megaman » 2015-03-01, 16:29

I have had problems with Flashblock, so I removed it. I suggest that you use "Click to play per element" add-on.
It's a General discussion but it might need to go under Community Support.

You can also message the developer, since he is interested in other browsers other than Firefox.

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by riiis » 2015-03-01, 20:44

Margaret wrote:I rarely look at you tube but I have discovered it does not work for me any more. It says it is loading but I just get the 'f' from 'flashblock'. I have added you tube to 'flashblock's' whitelist but still no joy. Any suggestions?
Make sure you're using the latest version of Flashblock (1.5.18) from AMO. Some prior versions of this add-on were broken. If you're still encountering problems with this latest Flashblock, disable Flashblock (not just whitelist) to see if the problem goes away. And, of course, make sure you're using the latest stable version of Flash (16.0.0.305 for Windows Plugin-based browsers (https://www.adobe.com/products/flashpla ... tion3.html)).

YouTube no longer provides Flash by default. If you're still encountering problems with the latest Flashblock or with Flashblock disabled, you may want to try forcing Flash (or HTML5) using the You Tube Flash Video Player version 35.4 add-on.

Margaret

Unread post by Margaret » 2015-03-02, 14:20

Hello Megaman I have sent a message to the developers as you suggested. I looked at the 'Click to play per element' you mentioned but it said it something about it not showing warnings so I was a bit wary of trying that. As is probably obvious I am not very tech savvy I am afraid.

Hello riiis I am using up to date versions of Flashblock and Flash player I use Filehippo to ensure I am up to date. Youtube does indeed work if I disable Flashblock but trying to use the internet without it is not an option. I have added the 'You tube video player' but that does not work either. I selected Flash and reloaded my page but still no joy.

Thank you both for your replies any further suggestions welcome.
Margaret

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2015-03-02, 15:35

Margaret wrote:Hello Megaman I have sent a message to the developers as you suggested. I looked at the 'Click to play per element' you mentioned but it said it something about it not showing warnings so I was a bit wary of trying that. As is probably obvious I am not very tech savvy I am afraid.
If you are only bound to YouTube and stopping the videos from loading, you can use SmartVideo for YouTube.
Click to Play per element is universal works on any site with Flash, Silverlight, etc. You click when you want it to play, if you want it to play. The only thing you have to do is to go to to the Add-ons menu and find the Plugins, select "Ask to Activate."
I've been using Click to Play per element for over 2 years.

The "warning" is simply stating that you shouldn't use the code that the author is suggesting because it could block vulnerable plugins. That's like if you go to a bad site and it asks you if want to run some plugin, you won't know if you use the code provided, so just don't use the code and install the add-on like normal.
The code is simply to hide the notifications that pop-up asking you, "Run Flash Player?"

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by riiis » 2015-03-02, 16:59

Margaret wrote:I am using up to date versions of Flashblock and Flash player I use Filehippo to ensure I am up to date.
The latest version of Flashblock is 1.5.18. AFAIK this Flashblock version is not available from Filehippo but only from AMO.

To ensure you're using the proper Flashblock and Flash Player versions, open the Add-on Manager tab. Flashblock 1.5.18 should be listed among the extensions. Flash 16.0.0.305 should be listed among the plugins. Using any other versions of Flashblock or Flash Player than these may be the source of your YouTube problem.
Last edited by riiis on 2015-03-03, 15:04, edited 1 time in total.

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2015-03-02, 17:55

riiis wrote:To ensure you're using the proper Flashblock and Flash Player versions, open the Add-on Manager tab. Flashblock 1.5.18 should be listed among the extensions. Flash 16.0.0.305 should be listed among the plugins. Using any other versions of Flashblock or Flash Player than these may be the source of your YouTube problem.
I also use Filehippo and nothing wrong with that.
I am using 17 and no problems either, the problem is Flashblock, not that I am going to install it when I have a proper Flash-blocking add-on.
Any problem I've experienced with 17, I've experienced on 16 as well, so it's no different.

Rather, we should suggest the Flash ESR version.

Supernova

Unread post by Supernova » 2015-03-02, 23:43

I use click-to-play per element for almost a year, and it's really easy to use and efficient.

Margaret

Unread post by Margaret » 2015-03-03, 10:59

Hello Megaman

I have disabled 'Flashblock' and installed 'Click to play per element' and altered the 'plugin' play setting. I confess it took me a while to find that. :oops: It seems to be working fine. Thanks for reassuring me about the code issue. I will live with it for a few days and see if I like it. Which version are you using? The latest one said it would not work so I have 0.0.5 is this the 'right' one? Glad you like 'Filehippo' too. :)

Hello Supernova

Thank you for the recommendation. Which version do you use?

Hello riis

My Flash and Flashblock are both the up to date versions you mention. I am puzzled you say 'Filehippo' hasn't got them I do not update from anywhere else, I also do not look at Beta's as I have enough trouble using software that is 'perfect'. I did also try HTML5 on the 'Youtube flash player' but that did not work either. Thanks for the suggestions.

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2015-03-03, 16:50

Margaret wrote:Hello Megaman

I have disabled 'Flashblock' and installed 'Click to play per element' and altered the 'plugin' play setting. I confess it took me a while to find that. :oops: It seems to be working fine. Thanks for reassuring me about the code issue. I will live with it for a few days and see if I like it. Which version are you using? The latest one said it would not work so I have 0.0.5 is this the 'right' one? Glad you like 'Filehippo' too. :)
I use the latest 0.0.7, you got the CE version. The 0.0.7 is old, the CE version you got is an forked version, which is using the latest updates, it works at the very least.

Edit: I know it says 0.0.5 on the add-on page, but on my installed add-ons it says 0.0.7. Odd but great.(He mentions an update on the description, to 0.0.7, but around it is foreign(Chinese? Japanese? Korean?))

Supernova

Unread post by Supernova » 2015-03-04, 04:30

In about:addons my version appears to be 0.0.7 too.

Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2015-03-04, 21:14

megaman wrote:I suggest that you use "Click to play per element" add-on.
Supernova wrote:I use click-to-play per element for almost a year, and it's really easy to use and efficient.
I have just installed this extension, and I really like it! Thanks for the tip!

The newest version that's compatible with Pale Moon is version 0.0.7. For those who have trouble finding it:

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/click-to-play-per-element/versions/?page=1#version-0.0.7

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2015-03-05, 03:44

Thank you for the tip. I have the same trouble with Flashblock, as usual You Tube always tweak their pages for force people to see ads and junk before the videos.

Margaret

Unread post by Margaret » 2015-03-05, 10:23

Thanks Megaman

The version I have works fine. I will go with the 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' method and leave well alone. I will now get rid of flashblock.

Cheers Margaret