Microsoft is going to adapt "rapid development" cycle!

General discussion and chat (archived)
Jonguy30

Microsoft is going to adapt "rapid development" cycle!

Unread post by Jonguy30 » 2014-09-17, 09:33

While browsing another forum I came across this news piece someone had posted. Microsoft is looking to 'fundamentally change the way Windows is shipping'

It appears Microsoft is going to adapt the same "rapid release" development cycle that google and mozilla also have implemented. And of course they're saying things like "we will release updates and features as soon as they're ready". But that just means software is going to become more and more broken. I didn't expect Microsoft to adapt this "rabid release" stuff.. a big thumbs down for Microsoft :thumbdown:

:(

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Microsoft is going to adapt "rapid development" cycle!

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-09-17, 09:39

So, even more reliance on being tethered to Microsoft servers and being force-fed whatever whimsical change they want to push out?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-09-17, 10:17

I think this has to do more with forcing "subscription" on the sly with their products than with rapid release using the word "shipping".

After reading the article in the link, I'm glad I'm using linux 90% of the time.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-09-17, 10:29

Gee I wish I had saw this coming.. OH WAIT.. I DID.. back when it was called the Microsoft .NET Strategy in 2001...

Trippynet
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Trippynet » 2014-09-17, 19:44

I've heard this kind of thing before. MS also tried it with Windows 8 and it just caused them multiple headaches, support and upgrade issues.

Also, the other problem they have is that the more versions they have out there, the more will just be skipped by businesses that can't be bothered upgrading every 5 seconds. Many of them have only just finished migrating to Windows 7...

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-09-17, 21:06

Trippynet wrote:I've heard this kind of thing before. MS also tried it with Windows 8 and it just caused them multiple headaches, support and upgrade issues.
I think the reason why there was a year's difference in time between Windows 8 (Oct 2012) and then Windows 8.1 (Oct 2013) was because of the refusal of many (me included) Windows 7 users who didn't need, want or like Windows 8 to being with and the market share showed it. With Windows 8.1, Microsoft "tweaked" it a little hoping Windows 7 uses would give up Windows 7 and upgrade to Windows 8.1 and that didn't happen either and the market share for both operating systems is showing that too. This tweaking also caused headaches for some people who had trouble upgrading from Windows 8 to Windows (8.1).

For this "rapid release cycle" which I think is nothing more than a "trojan horse" for software subscriptions, I think Microsoft is outlining a plan for it's future business wise, but I think this plan is poorly thought out when it comes to Microsoft's home and business users/customers. Speaking as a home user, I know I will never go the subscription/rapid release route.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Supernova

Unread post by Supernova » 2014-09-17, 23:02

It seems to me you're absolutely right about that "software subscription" strategy, Night Wing.

JodyThornton

Unread post by JodyThornton » 2014-09-25, 20:33

Matt A Tobin wrote:Gee I wish I had saw this coming.. OH WAIT.. I DID.. back when it was called the Microsoft .NET Strategy in 2001...
That also involved locally installing apps (like Office apps) on the server and then running them as terminal apps on the workstation. It was a level up from terminal server implementations. And then it also involved running apps in a "cloud" like fashion. There were some good ideas in there.