Australis: Why Fix Something That Is Not Broken

General discussion and chat (archived)
Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Australis: Why Fix Something That Is Not Broken

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-04-16, 17:50

I really like the Firefox developer guy with the mock tabs on his head with the fan. Click on the short video to see what I'm getting at.

https://air.mozilla.org/firefox-australis/
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Australis: Why Fix Something That Is Not Broken

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-04-16, 17:59

Is that supposed to be a real video, or are they trying to be funny?

Because if it's serious then.. o..m..g.. Dafuq, Mozilla.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-04-16, 18:08

It's an official Mozilla video and it's the real deal for why Australis came about for Firefox.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-04-16, 18:25

I'm not even sure what they try to mean. Are these people featuring in the video dissenters at Mozilla trying to leave a sarcastic message?

Supernova

Unread post by Supernova » 2014-04-16, 18:28

What what what what what ! :shock:
It's... What did they tried to do ? I guess it's supposed to be funny, but it's just ridiculous. :wtf:
Maybe they had nothing to say to explain why they actually broke their browser, so they decided to avoid that...

"Learn more about the biggest change to Firefox since version 4"
=> yey I know there is a bouncing unicorn when there is no more icon in the little_right_useless_menu ! I really feel I know more now !

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2014-04-16, 21:03

Thats...didn't have words for it.

So this is the great australis? oh yes, every need this now. lol

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-04-16, 22:18

Just for the hell of it I verified the most outlandish thing, because to me it really does feel like a late April Fool's joke. Yes, the bouncing unicorn is there, pride rainbow mane and all. So, apparently they are serious and trying to present it in a humorous way...? Or do they really think Firefox needs to be aerodynamic?

(I downloaded the video just in case they decide to yank it)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-04-17, 01:01

The first person shown in that video is Jonathan Nightingale and his title at Mozilla is Vice President of Fireox.

https://blog.mozilla.org/press/bios/joh ... ghtingale/

It's amazing to me Nightingale okayed the removed of the Add-on Bar in Firefox 29 because it's too hard to maintain with Australis, but they all seem to have plenty of time on their hands to come up with nonsense like showing some twit putting a mock replica of a tab on his head and then facing an electric fan while claiming how fast the tabs will be. :x

Jonguy30

Unread post by Jonguy30 » 2014-04-17, 06:22

Supernova wrote: "Learn more about the biggest change to Firefox since version 4"!
I haven't watched the video but every change since ver 4 has not made sense. I remember being confused when I was testing FF 4 beta on my old XP machine and it didn't work the way I liked it, so I reverted back to 3.x.x. I remember thinking "What is this, why?". But eventually I got used to it (with some customisations to it ofc.). But not before I got myself a new PC and had to DL FF 10.

Roranicus

Unread post by Roranicus » 2014-04-20, 19:17

A bouncing unicorn? Well I'm sold!

Seriously though, the attitude seen in this video is, in my opinion, the worse one a design team can have. Nothing worse then a whole team circlejerking and patting each others in the back while brushing off any criticism coming from the outside. Comments like "if it's not broke don't fix it" really do need to be addressed. If you feel it's the biggest change ever made to the browser, then try to make it a smaller change, do not force an unnecessary transition.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-04-22, 16:08

Further Australis discussion: Go to http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=4315