Pale Moon for Android public beta!

Old discussions related to the Android/mobile version of Pale Moon.
bhenry1985

Re: Pale Moon for Android public beta!

Unread post by bhenry1985 » 2014-07-02, 20:25

I've only delved into the basics. So far, it seems to work fine, and it does seem to load pages more quickly than the Firefox for Android version I have on my phone.

Kaliri

Unread post by Kaliri » 2014-07-03, 01:11

Cool! I have it installed on my Nexus 7 (2012), and so far, so good! No major disasters, nor has my hair caught fire. :) It looks just like the Firefox Mobile that I already have and use.

A few things I have noticed:

- Under Settings, "About Pale Moon" doesn't provide any information about the Pale Moon Project. Instead, it points to the Firefox 24.7b2 About section.

- Likewise, in the Top Sites section, clicking the "Pale Moon Support" takes the user to the Firefox for Android page at Mozilla Support.

- Also, unlike in Firefox for Android, in Pale Moon I can't seem to find a way to customize my search providers. In Firefox, this is done via Settings, Customize, Search. In Pale Moon, I can't (yet) find that. (DuckDuckGo seems to be the default, which is fine, but let's say I want to add, for example, IxQuick.)

EDIT: Okay, I can interact with the search providers, but it's via a different route than Firefox Mobile: I must tap Tools, Add-ons; and then tap my search engine of choice (Disable; Uninstall; or Set as Default).

fehmi

Unread post by fehmi » 2014-07-05, 05:47

I clean-flashed 2 different CyanogenMod 11 roms (Android 4.4.2 with Kernel 3.0 and Android 4.4.4 with Kernel 3.0) but I still cannot get sync to work.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-07-05, 07:56

I'll look into if I can figure out why not. Possibly it's a branding issue.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

fehmi

Unread post by fehmi » 2014-07-05, 10:45

Moonchild wrote:I'll look into if I can figure out why not. Possibly it's a branding issue.
Are you referring to my sync issue or something else? PM4A has been running really stable so far, with no crashes or performance issues but I would really like to have the sync feature working on my tablet.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-07-05, 11:08

fehmi wrote:
Moonchild wrote:I'll look into if I can figure out why not. Possibly it's a branding issue.
Are you referring to my sync issue or something else? PM4A has been running really stable so far, with no crashes or performance issues but I would really like to have the sync feature working on my tablet.
I was talking about the sync issue.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

fehmi

Unread post by fehmi » 2014-07-14, 14:27

Any updates on the sync issue? Hope you were able to figure out the problem.

JSB2000

Unread post by JSB2000 » 2014-07-20, 22:33

x-15a2 wrote:
x-15a2 wrote:- I'm still having issues getting sync to work, but that may be something on my side... I'll test again when I have a minute
I was able to get sync to work, but needed to use the Recovery Key\Account login method instead of the standard sync method. It was strange because both devices recognized each other and indicated that the sync would happen, but it never did. But, I used the other method and it's now working just great!
Nearly the same exact experience here. Oddly, syncing worked fine using the standard method with Moonchild's sync server up until he had to take it offline.

So, I decided to experiment a bit. Until Moonchild sorts out his sync server issues, I needed a sync solution, so I installed the 1.4 version of Mozilla Sync on my personal Owncloud server. Everything went great: Just like you, the devices were able to recognize each other and indicated that they would sync. But they didn't. But the recovery key method did work and now allows full syncing to occur.

MarkXS

Unread post by MarkXS » 2014-07-21, 22:43

Ghostery is not working. It installs fine from AMO after doing the Firefox compatibility setting toggle in about:config needed to use Firefox extensions. But the extension never works. No post-install walkthrough for configuration, which should trigger automatically in recent versions of Ghostery. No Ghostery menu item in the app menu. No "purple ghost box" in the lower corner of the screen.

All of that is its expected and observed behavior on Firefox Release and on Aurora, which I've been running for months on two Android tablets.

Have installed PM on device I'm using for this post (Kobo Arc tablet, Jellybean) which used to have Firefox release since before Firefox 24 which was fine with Ghostery, and which now has Aurora 32 as well as PM. Ghostery works on Aurora but not on PM. Have also installed it on low end Jellybean 10in Olidata wb10-l tablet that is generic Android. Same results, Ghostery always works on Aurora, not on PM.

A few months back Ghostery posted at their blog a note that some desktop Firefox derivatives/forks including Pale Moon and IceDragon weren't working with Ghostery because Ghostery requires a module called jetpack in the compile. I'm not a browser devil so I don't know that. Obviously that was fixed because I use Ghostery all the time Pale Moon Windows 32, Windows 64, Linux 64, Linux 32. Could something comparable be missing in the Pale Moon Android build that could easily be fixed? (and by "easily" I know really "darn it more important things to do than muck around with one extension compatibility issue on Android)

Thanks for creating Pale Moon for Android and all the others. Thrilled my favorite browser is now on my mobile OS!

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2014-07-22, 00:26

I just left for the record that I tried to recover some files from dropbox and have open Trillian at the same time. And Pale Moon beta crashed several times, it seems the Moon doesn't like to be invoked from Trillian.

Polaroid Tablet PMID71C - Android 4.0.2

2 5 3

Unread post by 2 5 3 » 2014-07-24, 11:30

Just wanted to say thanks for this im running it on a Nexus 7 2013 rooted with the newest Clean Rom. It's much faster then firefox at almost everything i have tried soo far amazing work cant wait too see whats next!

EpicCyndaquil

Unread post by EpicCyndaquil » 2014-07-25, 07:17

Not sure if I should have created a new topic for this, but either way...

Could you consider removing the built in video player, and instead require any files with a video extension to be opened in another app? The built-in video player is severely lacking in functionality and seems to be a bit buggy, so it makes much more sense to throw those to another program. (This would also follow Pale Moon's ideology of being lightweight, I would think.)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-07-25, 12:38

Pale Moon's ideology has never been to be lightweight; a common misconception :)
It actively tries to avoid being overweight, by focusing on efficiency, but it won't aim to become lighter regardless of loss of functionality, just to be lighter.

noomelap

Unread post by noomelap » 2014-07-29, 03:03

Hello,

Might want to unlock and add a link to this post to this post: Palemoon for Android?

It's the first result in DuckDuckGo and third result on Google when I searched for palemoon android.

Thanks for the Palemoon Android build. It seems to run faster than the current Firefox build. I am using a Nexus 5.

tuxman

Unread post by tuxman » 2014-07-29, 14:00

Is there a more-or-less complete list of difference between PM and Firefox on Android?

And how about some sort of "compression mode" as Opera/Chrome on Android have? I have a "bad" mobile ISP, so every saved byte is worth extra effort for me.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-07-29, 14:12

I don't have a current comparison list, since I haven't really looked much at Firefox 30+ on Android.

Pale Moon for Android supports compressed http traffic, if the server offers it.

tuxman

Unread post by tuxman » 2014-07-29, 14:16

HTTP compression is not the same; "off-road modes" rely on using third-party servers (like your Sync server) to additionally compress images and other media. :)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-07-29, 15:45

tuxman wrote:HTTP compression is not the same; "off-road modes" rely on using third-party servers (like your Sync server) to additionally compress images and other media. :)
Then it's not part of Pale Moon, and probably won't be. I'm not going to run a server part to lossily recompress graphics and the likes for mobile.

tuxman

Unread post by tuxman » 2014-07-29, 15:46

OK, thanks for the answer. (The one big feature missing in mobile Firefox. *sigh*)

Well, I'll try PM4A anyway. :)

BoFiS

Unread post by BoFiS » 2014-07-29, 16:50

Thank you for the public beta, especially now that Pale Moon is moving to it's own sync server so Android Firefox was no longer going to stay in sync. Any way you could alter/fix the default behavior when you tap on the address bar? Right now, when you tap on the address bar, it shows "about:blank" highlighted, and I then have to tap it AGAIN to bring up my keyboard and then have to delete that each time I want to put in a URL. Instead, it would be so much more efficient if tapping in the address bar, automatically opened up the keyboard and/or didn't have any text highlighted or not to remove before one can type in an address or search.