Pale Moon for Android public beta!

Old discussions related to the Android/mobile version of Pale Moon.
Supernova

Re: Pale Moon for Android public beta!

Unread post by Supernova » 2014-06-24, 17:57

Go in about:config and set general.useragent.compatMode.firefox to true

silvermoonwolf74

Unread post by silvermoonwolf74 » 2014-06-24, 21:06

Thanks very much. Now to look for an easy way to switch themes.

fehmi

Unread post by fehmi » 2014-06-25, 19:58

PM4A has been working great on my tablet for 2 days. Today I made a fresh install of CyanogenMod 11, and then reinstalled the PM4A APK from OP. The install went smooth and I could pair my tablet with the desktop browser. However, no data seems to sync with my tablet. I tried removing the sync account and then re-pairing a couple times but the same problem persists. I saw the tweet about the Pale Moon sync server being down and then being restored. Can this still be a server problem?

Update: Uninstalled and then reinstalled PM4A. It pairs with my desktop computer just fine but still no data is synced.
Last edited by fehmi on 2014-06-26, 17:16, edited 1 time in total.

+Maou

Unread post by +Maou » 2014-06-25, 21:21

Thank you!
It works perfect on my Samsung S3mini using Cyanogenmod 10.2, way better than firefox. :)

Greenpalmer

Unread post by Greenpalmer » 2014-06-27, 10:50

Thought I'd give the PM beta a try on my Sony Xperia running Android 4 ICS and I've been so impressed with it that I've made it my default browser.

Great work! Congratulations to all concerned!

x-15a2

Unread post by x-15a2 » 2014-06-29, 20:01

x-15a2 wrote:- I'm still having issues getting sync to work, but that may be something on my side... I'll test again when I have a minute
I was able to get sync to work, but needed to use the Recovery Key\Account login method instead of the standard sync method. It was strange because both devices recognized each other and indicated that the sync would happen, but it never did. But, I used the other method and it's now working just great!

I've now dumped FF from all of my devices (except those used for testing\development). Thanks!!!

fehmi

Unread post by fehmi » 2014-07-01, 05:48

I still cannot get sync to work on my tablet. I have tried both methods, pairing with the code and using account/password/recovery key - pairing seems to be successful with both methods and I can see the Firefox Sync under my accounts in the settings app. However, no data is actually synced on my device; no bookmarks, history, or tabs. I have tried removing the account and then pairing again but the issue still persists.

A weird detail worth mentioning - I can add my sync account using the advanced setup as long as I do not use the custom sync server, https://sync.palemoon.net/. When I try to enter the sync server address, PM4A keeps saying 'Please enter a valid server URL'. I have double-checked everything to make sure I am not making a typo somewhere.

x-15a2

Unread post by x-15a2 » 2014-07-01, 23:43

fehmi wrote:I still cannot get sync to work on my tablet. I have tried both methods, pairing with the code and using account/password/recovery key - pairing seems to be successful with both methods and I can see the Firefox Sync under my accounts in the settings app. However, no data is actually synced on my device; no bookmarks, history, or tabs. I have tried removing the account and then pairing again but the issue still persists.

A weird detail worth mentioning - I can add my sync account using the advanced setup as long as I do not use the custom sync server, https://sync.palemoon.net/. When I try to enter the sync server address, PM4A keeps saying 'Please enter a valid server URL'. I have double-checked everything to make sure I am not making a typo somewhere.
I had an extra space following my account name, that kept me from getting connected. Double (triple?) check the values in each field (I didn't include the trailing "/"). The server is there, things need to be entered perfectly.

x-15a2

Unread post by x-15a2 » 2014-07-01, 23:48

I'm curious as to why the PM app is 75.45mb (installed) and the current FF app is something around 33mb (sorry I don't remember the exact size, since I yanked it off my devices). The size difference doesn't seem to impact performance (maybe load time?), but I wonder what causes the significant size difference.

fehmi

Unread post by fehmi » 2014-07-02, 05:53

x-15a2 wrote:I had an extra space following my account name, that kept me from getting connected. Double (triple?) check the values in each field (I didn't include the trailing "/"). The server is there, things need to be entered perfectly.
I have tried adding my account again - made sure the account name, password, recovery key, and the custom server URL were entered in as they are. But PM4A still does not accept these details as long as the custom server address is there. Once I uncheck the custom server box, I can add the account. However, no data is actually synced.

I have set up iCabMobile on my iPhone to use the Pale Moon sync server and it works just fine - that's why I don't believe I am doing anything wrong during the setup.

bhenry1985

Unread post by bhenry1985 » 2014-07-02, 20:25

I've only delved into the basics. So far, it seems to work fine, and it does seem to load pages more quickly than the Firefox for Android version I have on my phone.

Kaliri

Unread post by Kaliri » 2014-07-03, 01:11

Cool! I have it installed on my Nexus 7 (2012), and so far, so good! No major disasters, nor has my hair caught fire. :) It looks just like the Firefox Mobile that I already have and use.

A few things I have noticed:

- Under Settings, "About Pale Moon" doesn't provide any information about the Pale Moon Project. Instead, it points to the Firefox 24.7b2 About section.

- Likewise, in the Top Sites section, clicking the "Pale Moon Support" takes the user to the Firefox for Android page at Mozilla Support.

- Also, unlike in Firefox for Android, in Pale Moon I can't seem to find a way to customize my search providers. In Firefox, this is done via Settings, Customize, Search. In Pale Moon, I can't (yet) find that. (DuckDuckGo seems to be the default, which is fine, but let's say I want to add, for example, IxQuick.)

EDIT: Okay, I can interact with the search providers, but it's via a different route than Firefox Mobile: I must tap Tools, Add-ons; and then tap my search engine of choice (Disable; Uninstall; or Set as Default).

fehmi

Unread post by fehmi » 2014-07-05, 05:47

I clean-flashed 2 different CyanogenMod 11 roms (Android 4.4.2 with Kernel 3.0 and Android 4.4.4 with Kernel 3.0) but I still cannot get sync to work.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-07-05, 07:56

I'll look into if I can figure out why not. Possibly it's a branding issue.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

fehmi

Unread post by fehmi » 2014-07-05, 10:45

Moonchild wrote:I'll look into if I can figure out why not. Possibly it's a branding issue.
Are you referring to my sync issue or something else? PM4A has been running really stable so far, with no crashes or performance issues but I would really like to have the sync feature working on my tablet.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-07-05, 11:08

fehmi wrote:
Moonchild wrote:I'll look into if I can figure out why not. Possibly it's a branding issue.
Are you referring to my sync issue or something else? PM4A has been running really stable so far, with no crashes or performance issues but I would really like to have the sync feature working on my tablet.
I was talking about the sync issue.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

fehmi

Unread post by fehmi » 2014-07-14, 14:27

Any updates on the sync issue? Hope you were able to figure out the problem.

JSB2000

Unread post by JSB2000 » 2014-07-20, 22:33

x-15a2 wrote:
x-15a2 wrote:- I'm still having issues getting sync to work, but that may be something on my side... I'll test again when I have a minute
I was able to get sync to work, but needed to use the Recovery Key\Account login method instead of the standard sync method. It was strange because both devices recognized each other and indicated that the sync would happen, but it never did. But, I used the other method and it's now working just great!
Nearly the same exact experience here. Oddly, syncing worked fine using the standard method with Moonchild's sync server up until he had to take it offline.

So, I decided to experiment a bit. Until Moonchild sorts out his sync server issues, I needed a sync solution, so I installed the 1.4 version of Mozilla Sync on my personal Owncloud server. Everything went great: Just like you, the devices were able to recognize each other and indicated that they would sync. But they didn't. But the recovery key method did work and now allows full syncing to occur.

MarkXS

Unread post by MarkXS » 2014-07-21, 22:43

Ghostery is not working. It installs fine from AMO after doing the Firefox compatibility setting toggle in about:config needed to use Firefox extensions. But the extension never works. No post-install walkthrough for configuration, which should trigger automatically in recent versions of Ghostery. No Ghostery menu item in the app menu. No "purple ghost box" in the lower corner of the screen.

All of that is its expected and observed behavior on Firefox Release and on Aurora, which I've been running for months on two Android tablets.

Have installed PM on device I'm using for this post (Kobo Arc tablet, Jellybean) which used to have Firefox release since before Firefox 24 which was fine with Ghostery, and which now has Aurora 32 as well as PM. Ghostery works on Aurora but not on PM. Have also installed it on low end Jellybean 10in Olidata wb10-l tablet that is generic Android. Same results, Ghostery always works on Aurora, not on PM.

A few months back Ghostery posted at their blog a note that some desktop Firefox derivatives/forks including Pale Moon and IceDragon weren't working with Ghostery because Ghostery requires a module called jetpack in the compile. I'm not a browser devil so I don't know that. Obviously that was fixed because I use Ghostery all the time Pale Moon Windows 32, Windows 64, Linux 64, Linux 32. Could something comparable be missing in the Pale Moon Android build that could easily be fixed? (and by "easily" I know really "darn it more important things to do than muck around with one extension compatibility issue on Android)

Thanks for creating Pale Moon for Android and all the others. Thrilled my favorite browser is now on my mobile OS!

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2014-07-22, 00:26

I just left for the record that I tried to recover some files from dropbox and have open Trillian at the same time. And Pale Moon beta crashed several times, it seems the Moon doesn't like to be invoked from Trillian.

Polaroid Tablet PMID71C - Android 4.0.2