Pale Moon for Android public beta!

Old discussions related to the Android/mobile version of Pale Moon.
2 5 3

Re: Pale Moon for Android public beta!

Unread post by 2 5 3 » 2014-07-24, 11:30

Just wanted to say thanks for this im running it on a Nexus 7 2013 rooted with the newest Clean Rom. It's much faster then firefox at almost everything i have tried soo far amazing work cant wait too see whats next!

EpicCyndaquil

Unread post by EpicCyndaquil » 2014-07-25, 07:17

Not sure if I should have created a new topic for this, but either way...

Could you consider removing the built in video player, and instead require any files with a video extension to be opened in another app? The built-in video player is severely lacking in functionality and seems to be a bit buggy, so it makes much more sense to throw those to another program. (This would also follow Pale Moon's ideology of being lightweight, I would think.)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-07-25, 12:38

Pale Moon's ideology has never been to be lightweight; a common misconception :)
It actively tries to avoid being overweight, by focusing on efficiency, but it won't aim to become lighter regardless of loss of functionality, just to be lighter.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

noomelap

Unread post by noomelap » 2014-07-29, 03:03

Hello,

Might want to unlock and add a link to this post to this post: Palemoon for Android?

It's the first result in DuckDuckGo and third result on Google when I searched for palemoon android.

Thanks for the Palemoon Android build. It seems to run faster than the current Firefox build. I am using a Nexus 5.

tuxman

Unread post by tuxman » 2014-07-29, 14:00

Is there a more-or-less complete list of difference between PM and Firefox on Android?

And how about some sort of "compression mode" as Opera/Chrome on Android have? I have a "bad" mobile ISP, so every saved byte is worth extra effort for me.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-07-29, 14:12

I don't have a current comparison list, since I haven't really looked much at Firefox 30+ on Android.

Pale Moon for Android supports compressed http traffic, if the server offers it.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

tuxman

Unread post by tuxman » 2014-07-29, 14:16

HTTP compression is not the same; "off-road modes" rely on using third-party servers (like your Sync server) to additionally compress images and other media. :)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-07-29, 15:45

tuxman wrote:HTTP compression is not the same; "off-road modes" rely on using third-party servers (like your Sync server) to additionally compress images and other media. :)
Then it's not part of Pale Moon, and probably won't be. I'm not going to run a server part to lossily recompress graphics and the likes for mobile.

tuxman

Unread post by tuxman » 2014-07-29, 15:46

OK, thanks for the answer. (The one big feature missing in mobile Firefox. *sigh*)

Well, I'll try PM4A anyway. :)

BoFiS

Unread post by BoFiS » 2014-07-29, 16:50

Thank you for the public beta, especially now that Pale Moon is moving to it's own sync server so Android Firefox was no longer going to stay in sync. Any way you could alter/fix the default behavior when you tap on the address bar? Right now, when you tap on the address bar, it shows "about:blank" highlighted, and I then have to tap it AGAIN to bring up my keyboard and then have to delete that each time I want to put in a URL. Instead, it would be so much more efficient if tapping in the address bar, automatically opened up the keyboard and/or didn't have any text highlighted or not to remove before one can type in an address or search.

Buzzy62

Unread post by Buzzy62 » 2014-07-31, 23:29

OK, so maybe I'm being a complete dolt, but I can't get my bookmarks to sync. I want the bookmarks (as well as passwords, if that's possible) to "push" to my android phone from my desktop. I have paired them, the phone says it has synced, but there are NO bookmark on the phone from my desktop.

Am *I* doing something wrong (which is the MOST likely possibility) or is there something that is not yet working (since this IS a beta, that is also a likely possibility) with the sync function?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-08-01, 09:37

The sync service is currently not running on the server-side. That would be your issue.
I'm working on getting a usable service up and running but it'll take some time.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2014-08-01, 11:24

The link on http://www.palemoon.org/WIP/ to the apk ( ftp://publicandroid:get246@ftp.palemoon ... id-arm.apk ) didn't work.
I get the error
530 Login or password incorrect!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-08-01, 12:08

Link works fine for me...

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2014-08-01, 20:27

Now it works x)

noomelap

Unread post by noomelap » 2014-08-02, 08:41

Any timeline on when palemoon will make it to Google Play or F-Droid store?

I'd be nice in the F-Droid store first.

Thanks.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2014-08-02, 09:09

Yes, F-Droid would be very nice!

And i like it if palemoon will never be exist in google store.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-08-02, 09:28

I already paid google to open a google play store account, so I'll publish there.

What's this f-droid?

tuxman

Unread post by tuxman » 2014-08-02, 10:02

An inofficial "market" like the Amazon App-Shop but for free software:
https://f-droid.org/

x-15a2

Unread post by x-15a2 » 2014-08-02, 10:52

Moonchild wrote:I already paid google to open a google play store account, so I'll publish there.

What's this f-droid?
F-Droid is an installable catalogue of FOSS (Free and Open Source Software) applications for the Android platform. Lots of popular apps found in !G Play are also in the F-Droid catalog, including AdBlock Plus, DuckDuckGo, FireFox, Orbot(Tor) and many others.