Feature request for Android

Old discussions related to the Android/mobile version of Pale Moon.
Kalle72

Feature request for Android

Unread post by Kalle72 » 2016-03-27, 22:20

Hello,

PaleMoon for Android is great --> Thanks a lot :clap: . But there are two functions I really miss and one "nice to have":

1) The possibility to clear the personal data at quitting PaleMoon.

2) The possibility to set the bookmark-page as "home" which opens when one starts PaleMoon or starts a new tab.

3) The possibility to completely mask or deactivate "Top Sites" and "History". (This is the nice to have one)

Best regards
Kalle

dark_moon

Re: Feature request for Android

Unread post by dark_moon » 2016-03-29, 10:40

For 1) it exist addons for that.
Maybe for your other requests too.

Look at mozilla AMO

Kalle72

Unread post by Kalle72 » 2016-03-29, 18:40

Thanks; I will try it. :thumbup:

mgagnonlv
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by mgagnonlv » 2016-03-29, 23:03

1) The possibility to clear the personal data at quitting PaleMoon.

Actually, most private data can be cleared without requiring any extension.

Under Tools –> Options –> Private life

Second block: History:
Conservation rules : either Save all, or never save history, or use personalized parameters.

And if you use personalized parameters, you can:
– Always use private mode
– Save or erase history of downloads, navigation, searches and forms.
– Cookies may also be saved or erased when you close Pale Moon.

As far as I know, if you decide not to save personalized parameters in the History section, it will affect any future endeavours, not navigation, searches and forms that are already memorized. For that you need to "erase all history" at once.

Then, under Tools –> Options –> Security
– Save (or not) passwords

If you want to only save one or two passwords but always erase all other ones, then you need an extension for that.

2) The possibility to set the bookmark-page as "home" which opens when one starts PaleMoon or starts a new tab.

Not sure exactly what you mean, but there are two options.

A. Under Tools –> Options –> General are the startup options.
Mine is set at :
– When starting Pale Moon: Display a blank page
– Home Page : https://google.com

That way, when a new window or, in theory, when I start Pale Moon, I get a blank page and there is no time wasted in trying to reach any page. When I want to search via Google, I press on Alt-home and get the Google page, and my search engine is set to Wikipedia.

B. To change the new tab page requires a slightly more advanced manipulation.
In the location bar, type "about:config"

Search for "browser.newtab.url". Then for value, type the address you want to open in a new tab. It can be:
– Any address, such as http://palemoon.org
– about:blank
– about:logo
– The official Pale Moon start page : https://palemoon.start.me (or is it http://start.palemoon.org ?)

P.S. Did we lose the "about:home" page? I have it in Pale Moon 25.1 but not in Pale Moon 26.1.1
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)

Greywool
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Greywool » 2016-03-30, 11:28

mgagnonlv: Either I'm way more confused than I usually am or you didn't notice that this thread is about the Android version of Pale Moon, while your suggestions seem to be for the desktop version. :P

As for a workaround I went with for
Kalle72 wrote:2) The possibility to set the bookmark-page as "home" which opens when one starts PaleMoon or starts a new tab.
I made a html file which more or less resembles the bookmark page, saved it in the phone's storage and made a shortcut to that file as my main screen Pale Moon shortcut icon. Way more effortey than being able to define your own start/newtab page, but it was the best I could come up with.

The above request has been brought up before, though I wouldn't hold up too many hopes of these being implemented, as (afaik) PM4Android isn't being actively developed. Unless, of course, you can find an extension which'd do these :P

Kalle72

Unread post by Kalle72 » 2016-04-10, 09:34

Thanks for the answers:

@dark-moon: Did not find an add-on which does the trick.

@mgagnonlv: Thanks for pointing out the possibility to clear private data by hand in 1). I know this, but I want that Pale Moon do this every time I quit. FF has this ability, even if its buggy. However, I cannot relate your writeup in 2) with the android version. For Linux (and presumably Windows) you hints work well, but for android not even the mentioned menus exist.

@Greywool: You are right. However, I think we are not the only ones who want start with the bookmark page. My three points I mentioned cause that I use FF most of the time on my smartphone.

Best regards
Kalle

cyberreine
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by cyberreine » 2016-04-25, 01:02

Kalle,
I do something somewhat similar to what Greywool described. I made a file containing a list of the links (in html format) that I want to access moderately often (rather like a bookmark page). I saved that file as mymarks.html and put it in a folder on my Android Nexus 7 tablet. I then made a shortcut to this file and put it on the tablet's homepage. When I want to access the list of links, I simply click on the shortcut, and it opens in whichever browser I wish to use. From time to time, I modify the list and then resave it. I have the mymarks.html file on both my tablet and my phone. It works perfectly.

I might mention that I started using such a file on my Windows computer many years ago (probably in the late 1990s). I simply set each browser to use that file as my home page. I couldn't find a way to specify that file as my homepage in Android browsers, but putting a shortcut to it on the tablet or phone's homepage accomplished much the same thing. This method also enables me to use that file with every browser on my Android devices. I'm not limited to using just the browser in which I happened to save my bookmarks.
PM 29.1.1(32-bit) on Win10 Professional 64-bit

n01d_n01d

Unread post by n01d_n01d » 2016-05-03, 10:38

There are four very nice features that you get used to instantly in firefox on android that are not present in palemoon, it wold be great to have them.
1) When you select text and long tap it, there is a context menu with Copy, Select All, Share. It would be great to have a Search shortcut in there. (or it would be even better to have a pop up menu at the top like here)
2) When a new tab is opened, there is a pop up at the bottom that says new tab opened, it would be nice to also have a Switch option.
3) Sometimes you accidentally close tabs, there is a feature in firefox that allows you to undo a closed tab. There is an addon but in firefox it's done better imo.
4) Open links in the background for later viewing