Sync - needs recovery key - can I use a master pw?

Old discussions related to the Android/mobile version of Pale Moon.
tz2026

Sync - needs recovery key - can I use a master pw?

Unread post by tz2026 » 2014-07-30, 16:32

After reading the main thread, I found that sync failed, but on PM4A, I had different boxes checked as to what to sync. It seemed to go farther when I changed them (there was no sync preferences box though). Using the recovery method worked, so I'm happy to have my passwords and bookmarks synced.

However I remember a problem with Firefox - if there was a master password, you couldn't sync. Before I erase all my passwords and bookmarks across everything if something goes wrong, I thought I would ask first. I wouldn't mind syncing manually, but especially on a mobile device I should have a master password.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Sync - needs recovery key - can I use a master pw?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-07-30, 19:32

Not being able to sync passwords when you are using a master password is a problem with the new sync.
This is one of the security reasons why using Sync 1.5 (Australis) is a bad idea.
Sync 1.1 (own server or eventually PM sync if I can get it to work reliably) will not have an issue with master password protected passwords.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

rnewman

Unread post by rnewman » 2014-08-02, 23:28

Moonchild wrote:Not being able to sync passwords when you are using a master password is a problem with the new sync.
Fix should be in 34, bounced from 33: Bug 1013064.
Moonchild wrote:This is one of the security reasons why using Sync 1.5 (Australis) is a bad idea.
Sync 1.5 and Australis are unrelated. They both happened to ship in Firefox 29.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-08-03, 09:41

rnewman wrote:Sync 1.5 and Australis are unrelated. They both happened to ship in Firefox 29.
Code-wise, maybe unrelated. Marketing-wise, not so unrelated.
Sync 1.5 was NOT ready when it shipped. But it was still pushed out with FF 29.0 anyway - and the easiest point of recognition to when Sync 1.5 shipped was "with Australis".
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite