Linux Updates

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Barnaby

Linux Updates

Unread post by Barnaby » 2015-10-02, 12:46

Have been trying PM for a while, just joined the forum. I plan to move over to PM as my default browser, but I have two problems. One is updates. I installed PM on Xubuntu using a ppa. It worked just fine. I now have version 25.3.1 but there seems to be a more recent version. I expected updates to happen automatically, but this does not seem to be happening. So if anyone can point me in the right direction I would be very grateful. I have made several changes to my copy such as adding all my bookmarks and I don't want to have to start again.

Secondly, I have installed the privacy badger add on and there is a known problem with the lack of an icon on the menu bar. I am now wondering if the latest version of PM has fixed that.

Any help gratefully received

Toa-Nuva
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Linux Updates

Unread post by Toa-Nuva » 2015-10-02, 13:41

It's not recommended to use the ppa, because it is out of date, and the maintainer cannot be contacted, so it's unlikely it will be updated anytime soon. Your best choice is to uninstall it and install the newest version manually.
The easiest way to install the current version of PM is to use the Pale Moon installer, which you can download here: http://linux.palemoon.org/download/installer/ When there's a new update, it won't install automatically, though, because Pale Moon for Linux does not have an updater integrated (yet). You'll have to use the Pale Moon installer again to install these updates.

Your settings (such as your bookmarks) are saved in the folder ~/.moonchild productions/pale moon – I think they should be kept even when you uninstall PM, but if you want to be safe, just make a backup copy of that folder.

squarefractal

Unread post by squarefractal » 2015-10-02, 13:45

As for Privacy Badger -- this is a compatibility issue that the developers at EFF have to fix, but do try substituting the Firefox GUID with the Pale Moon GUID and changing the min/maxVersions in install.rdf (have a look in the many threads discussing this issue).

Barnaby

Unread post by Barnaby » 2015-10-02, 17:39

Thanks. I have taken your advice, deleted the ppa version of PaleMoon and replaced it via the proper installer. It went well and, I am pleased to say, it kept all my profile changes, such as bookmarks and add ons. Now I know what to do next time. Meanwhile I hope an automatic updater will soon be ready for Linux

As for Privacy Badger, no doubt that will be sorted soon.

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2015-10-03, 18:26

Off-topic:
Barnaby wrote:As for Privacy Badger, no doubt that will be sorted soon.
Yes I fear that too. Though at GitHub, there is some movement/talk, mainly this:

<em:targetApplication>
<Description>
<em:id>{ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}</em:id>
<em:minVersion>26.0</em:minVersion>
<em:maxVersion>30.0</em:maxVersion>
</Description>
<Description>
<em:id>{8de7fcbb-c55c-4fbe-bfc5-fc555c87dbc4}</em:id>
<em:minVersion>26.0</em:minVersion>
<em:maxVersion>39.0</em:maxVersion>
</Description>
</em:targetApplication>

Is this right MC,anyone?

Also cooperq said this, "If someone wants to work on this and submit a patch I would happily accept it. As it currently stands I don't feel like I can prioritize this issue to work on personally." So were on our own.

LINK: https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=9097&p=61809#p61809
LINK: https://github.com/EFForg/privacybadgerfirefox/issues/595 and https://github.com/EFForg/privacybadgerfirefox/issues/479
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-10-06, 08:01

Off-topic:
LimboSlam wrote:Is this right MC,anyone?
If they want to support Goanna and above, then yes.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite