Clearing cache

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
14themoon

Clearing cache

Unread post by 14themoon » 2015-09-28, 18:16

Is it advisable to clear the browser's cache periodically? I know Linux is relatively safe from malware and other annoyances, but sometimes stuff can get through. What is the best way to do this? Should cookies also be cleared periodically? (I know some serve a useful purpose.) Thank you.

dark_moon

Re: Clearing cache

Unread post by dark_moon » 2015-09-28, 18:28

Not linux specific i would say.

If you have no problems with your cache then you didn't need to clear the cache. If you have privacy "problems" for example when other users use your profile, then use the private mode.
For cookies i prefer using a cookie whitelist addon, i prefer Cookie Monster. I allow only cookies for sites which i want and if i trust the site then i allow cookies, if i didn't trust the site but it needs cookie then i allow cookies temporary, so the cookie die after i close the tab. And if have sites which i visit more and needs cookies, but don't trust so much then i allow cookies only for browser session.
Ah and i block third party cookies. Only a little sites realy need this.

This is my cookie config.

14themoon

Unread post by 14themoon » 2015-09-28, 18:37

Thanks for that. How do you use the "private" mode? I am unfamiliar with Cookie Monster but I know there are ways of being selective with cookies. Is this a hard add-on to use or is it fairly straightforward? I'm not super tech-savvy!

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2015-09-28, 21:43

I not using the private mode, because i'm the only user on my pc.

Cookie Monster is a easy addon. you have 3 methods for cookies which i explain.
And you can set the default option: block all unknown cookies (using a whitelist), or allow it (using a blacklist). A whitelist is the greater option for more privacy.

If you move you mouse to the cookie monster icon, cookie monster tell you if the website wan't store cookies or not. A nice feature.

Anyway if the addon is to hard for you, then you can delete cookies in Pale Moon after the session, after the cookie expires or don't kill it. But the browser cookie manager is more annoying (my opinion)
Or you can use the addon Self-Destructing Cookies which automatically delete the cookies. (I never test this addon)

14themoon

Unread post by 14themoon » 2015-09-29, 01:15

Thank you for this! I'll give it a shot and see how it works out. It seems to be a personal preference...some people like to clear their cache fairly regularly, and others don't think it's as necessary. I guess there's always the possibility of malware and spyware.