[SOLVED] Yet another icon problem (not showing)

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

[SOLVED] Yet another icon problem (not showing)

Unread post by ron_1 » 2015-09-24, 21:19

I decided to put Linux Mint Xfce on an old HP Compaq machine I have. It has an Atom processor, so I put on the Atom Pale Moon for Linux, via the instructions here. So the problem is just as the subject line states; I have no icon for Pale Moon on the desktop, nor in the Start menu. I went into the /usr/share/icons/hicolor folders, and the icons are where they are supposed to be, so I don't know why they aren't showing up. But one thing that is weird is that the icons have an arrow over top of them, whereas every other icon in these folders don't (see below). I don't know if that means anything or not.
rr.jpg
ADDED:
While writing this, I saw this post from Night Wing, and followed his instructions and was able to get Pale Moon added to the panel with its icon. But I'm still missing the icon in the start menu.
Last edited by ron_1 on 2015-09-24, 22:04, edited 1 time in total.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Yet another icon problem (not showing)

Unread post by ron_1 » 2015-09-24, 22:03

Finally found what I was looking for: http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=4680

That fixed it (terminal command below).

Code: Select all

sudo gtk-update-icon-cache -f /usr/share/icons/hicolor

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Yet another icon problem (not showing)

Unread post by Night Wing » 2015-09-24, 22:17

@helloimustbegoing

You'll have to realize, my linux Pale Moon is................NOT.............installed in linux Mint 17.2 (Rafaela) Xfce. Since Pale Moon is not installed, I run my Pale Moon from the executable file. This is why there is no menu entry for Pale Moon or its launcher icon under the Internet heading in the Mint start menu (for me). Since there is no menu entry, there won't be any pale Moon launcher icons for the Desktop or in the Panel Taskbar either (again for me). I created the linux Pale Moon launcher icons for both the Desktop and for the Panel Taskbar through the use of gui windows using the instructions I received through a friend on the linux SolydXK distro forums site since my friend knows I dislike using the terminal in linux.

Now, it seems you installed linux Pale Moon by using the linux terminal. Do you have the menu entry for Pale Moon, but not it's icon launcher or are you missing "both" the Pale Moon menu entry (along with the Pale Moon launcher icon) in the Mint start menu?

BTW, since you were able to get the Pale Moon launcher icon installed on the Panel Taskbar, in order to create the Desktop Pale Moon launcher icon, all you need to do is "right click" on the Desktop and when the context gui window opens up, "left click" on "Create Launcher" and follow the exact same instructions when you created the Pale Moon launcher icon for the Panel Taskbar.

As for the using the linux terminal and the command line, I ran into the same problems as you and this is why I "avoid" the linux terminal. I do better without it.

EDIT: Looks like you were typing when I was typing. Glad to see you solved your problem.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox