Backing up add-ons prior to profile reset to fix Save As bug

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
MultiNoiseWolf

Backing up add-ons prior to profile reset to fix Save As bug

Unread post by MultiNoiseWolf » 2015-09-23, 03:08

Hello. I recently manaually migrated my Pale Moon profile from a Windows 7 system to Linux Mint 17.2. I've been using it for about a month or two, but I recently discovered that when I try to save some things such as images, no save window is opened, nor is anything automatically saved.

Searching on startpage recommends that I reset my prolife to fix this bug, but I have many important add-ons that I use and don't want to have to hunt down and reinstall all of them one by one. (Or change the about:config settings back to the way I had them, for that matter.)

How do I back up my add-ons/about:config settings before resetting my profile and then put them back? Alternatively, is there a way I can fix this bug without having to reset my profile? (Also, it's definitely a migration issue and not an add-on issue, since I haven't installed any new add-ons since switching.)

Tharn

Re: Backing up add-ons prior to profile reset to fix Save As

Unread post by Tharn » 2015-09-23, 08:14

You can try to do this with Palemoon Sync. However, it could be that the reason for the file saving issue lies in about:config as well, so I would only export bookmarks, passwords and extensions. I've recently run into the same issue, and I really wouldn't recommend transferring over profiles like this anymore. You're better off importing a few things and otherwise starting over clean.

Toa-Nuva
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Toa-Nuva » 2015-09-23, 12:48

I actually registered in this forum because I had the same problem after switching from Win7 to LM. :) Deleting the "content-prefs.sqlite" file from my profile fixed the problem for me. (You should make a backup copy of your profile before, though, just to be safe.)

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2015-09-23, 14:58

Although one can transfer their Pale Moon profile from Windows 7 to a linux distro, in my opinion, I just don't think it is a good idea. A fresh pristine Pale Moon profile is better than a migrated profile which may carry over things which can cause problems later on "down the road" if one gets my drift.

I've never migrated my Pale Moon profile from Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 7 Ultimate or transferred a Pale Moon profile from Windows 7 to a linux distro. In fact, when I went from linux Mint 14 to 16 to 17 to 17.1 to 17.2, I never migrated my linux Pale Moon profile from a present version to a newer version of linux Mint. The only thing I back up is my Bookmarks. I don't mind re-doing all my settings manually or re-installing all the add-ons I use. Since I've been doing it this way since I first found Pale Moon in 2011, I've never encountered any problems in either Windows or linux.

I've been on this site a long time now and this is the same type of problem which seems to crop up month after month. And it is the same comments when it comes to migrating their profiles I keep seeing which keep repeating themselves over and over which is........"I've got a lot of addons, settings and custom code which I don't want to hunt down and re-install". By the time it takes people to search for answers, get the answers (and sometimes the answer doesn't cure a problem) the time spent researching usually takes up more time than if they would have "bit the bullet" and done it manually in the first place.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

DerpyWolfNoise

Unread post by DerpyWolfNoise » 2015-09-28, 05:17

TC here. Logging in from a different account because I goofed and locked myself out of the other account. Some more information regarding the issue. I discovered that, for some bizarre reason, I actually can save images on some websites but not on others. Not sure if this helps narrow it down or not.
Toa-Nuva wrote:I actually registered in this forum because I had the same problem after switching from Win7 to LM. :) Deleting the "content-prefs.sqlite" file from my profile fixed the problem for me. (You should make a backup copy of your profile before, though, just to be safe.)
What information is stored in this file? It sounds like a quick and easy fix, but I don't want to end up breaking something by accident. Would it be possible to edit tht file manually to fix the problem? I couldn't open it.