Update...how to install?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
14themoon

Update...how to install?

Unread post by 14themoon » 2015-09-21, 11:47

I just noticed there was a recent update from the version of Palemoon on my laptop. I have 25.6.0 and there is now a 25.7.0. Should I update my system and, if so, how do I do that? Thank you for your support.

Axiomatic

Re: Update...how to install?

Unread post by Axiomatic » 2015-09-21, 16:41

If you installed it from your distro repository then yes, you should, if not then see this: http://linux.palemoon.org/download/installer/

14themoon

Unread post by 14themoon » 2015-09-22, 00:13

Hmmm...I don't rightly remember how I installed it! I went to the Ubuntu Software Center (is that what you mean by the repository?) and Pale Moon is not listed there. So does that mean I should use the "installer"?

Axiomatic

Unread post by Axiomatic » 2015-09-22, 01:59

14themoon wrote:Hmmm...I don't rightly remember how I installed it! I went to the Ubuntu Software Center (is that what you mean by the repository?) and Pale Moon is not listed there. So does that mean I should use the "installer"?
I would first delete the current installation of Pale Moon (do you know how to do that?), then use the installer.

squarefractal

Unread post by squarefractal » 2015-09-22, 09:29

It's not even available in any of the Ubuntu repositories.

14themoon

Unread post by 14themoon » 2015-09-22, 12:57

I'm not sure I can use the installer. I use Xubuntu which is "Ubuntu-lite." Wasn't there something about the installer not working on Linux distros that are "lite" versions? How do I determine whether the installer can be incorporated into my system?

squarefractal

Unread post by squarefractal » 2015-09-22, 13:16

14themoon wrote:Wasn't there something about the installer not working on Linux distros that are "lite" versions?
The installer will work fine in most distros, except for one or two which are really minimal (and Xubuntu is not "minimal"/"lightweight" in any sense of that word).

14themoon

Unread post by 14themoon » 2015-09-22, 14:19

So is do I uninstall my current version of Pale Moon and then reinstall the update, or is there a simpler way? I don't know how to use what is referred to as the "installer." Sorry.

CraigPD
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by CraigPD » 2015-09-22, 15:04

14themoon wrote:So is do I uninstall my current version of Pale Moon and then reinstall the update, or is there a simpler way? I don't know how to use what is referred to as the "installer." Sorry.
Confirmed, no problem installing in Xubuntu 15.04. Watch the installation video example. You don't need to uninstall the current version in advance. Note at :58 the installer script drop-down choices - install (new), uninstall, update or exit. Selecting update automatically replaces the current installation with 25.7.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2015-09-22, 15:08

@14themoon

Are you sure you installed linux Pale Moon?

If one uses the "extract & run" method, linux Pale Moon is not installed, but it will run. When using the "E & R" method, under Internet in the main menu of Ubuntu, there will be no menu entry for Pale Moon. And there won't be a Pale Moon launcher icon for it either. If you did install Pale Moon, you should see a menu entry and you should see the launcher icon also.

I use the "E & R" method to run my linux Pale Moon in linux Mint, but my Pale Moon is not installed in Mint.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

14themoon

Unread post by 14themoon » 2015-09-23, 12:57

Yes, Pale Moon is listed under "internet" on Xubuntu. Where do I find that installer drop down menu that is shown in the instruction video? I've looked under "Tools" but do not see it there. Thanks!

14themoon

Unread post by 14themoon » 2015-09-23, 13:36

Tah-Dah! Okay...I got it. Thanks one and all! Now that I have successfully updated Pale Moon and the Installer is in place, can I delete the Tar.bz (box) from which the Installer was extracted? Has it now served its purpose?

CraigPD
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by CraigPD » 2015-09-23, 14:19

Congrats! :thumbup: You can delete the tar.bz (tarball /archive) and save the extracted pminstaller.sh script file to be used for the next update or delete everything and repeat the process next time.

14themoon

Unread post by 14themoon » 2015-09-23, 20:28

Can any update on Pale Moon be executed through the installer?

CraigPD
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by CraigPD » 2015-09-23, 23:15

As of today, yes, but that may be subject to change. The installer script was modified when binaries were moved from Sourceforge.com to Github.com about a month ago which made the previous installer obsolete. Now I believe it's hosted on palemoon.org servers.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-09-24, 06:36

CraigPD wrote:As of today, yes, but that may be subject to change. The installer script was modified when binaries were moved from Sourceforge.com to Github.com about a month ago which made the previous installer obsolete. Now I believe it's hosted on palemoon.org servers.
This is true.. Also note we are experimenting with enabling the internal application updater (like on windows) for our produced "generico" build to reduce reliance on the "Installer". If successful updates will be notified and can be checked from with-in the browser. But this is still in testing.

squarefractal

Unread post by squarefractal » 2015-09-24, 08:53

Matt A Tobin wrote:This is true.. Also note we are experimenting with enabling the internal application updater (like on windows) for our produced "generico" build to reduce reliance on the "Installer".
Do note that you will not be able to write files since the files would be stored in /opt, which is not writable except for root.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-09-24, 11:15

squarefractal wrote:
Matt A Tobin wrote:This is true.. Also note we are experimenting with enabling the internal application updater (like on windows) for our produced "generico" build to reduce reliance on the "Installer".
Do note that you will not be able to write files since the files would be stored in /opt, which is not writable except for root.
Where is Firefox's generic package normally extracted to?

Also, I must assume the internal updater has a case for elevation... But that is why it is going to be tested before it becomes a thing..

squarefractal

Unread post by squarefractal » 2015-09-25, 03:31

Matt A Tobin wrote:Where is Firefox's generic package normally extracted to?
Firefox's (and Pale Moon's) generic package can be extracted anywhere, but since Pale Moon is usually installed by using the installer or the manual instructions, in most cases it ends up in /opt.
Also, I must assume the internal updater has a case for elevation
It doesn't. If it's in a directory that's not writable, it ends up telling the user to visit the product homepage.

Not that you can have a particularly good and system independent way of doing this; you'll probably have to end up doing system("su -c "/bin/sh -c '...'")

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-09-25, 04:17

So.. this could be a problem.. I was really afraid of this situation... Though it shouldn't be too difficult to work into the updater binaries a way of elevating on linux.. However, this WILL push back enabling this feature and will have to continue to rely on that terrible "installer" completely until then..