Update...how to install?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Terryphi

Re: Update...how to install?

Unread post by Terryphi » 2015-09-25, 09:42

Using Linux Mint I simply extract PM to my home directory and run it from there. Update consists merely of replacing the palemoon directory. To make it visible in mint menus I created a link usr/bin/palemoon pointing to /home/myusername/palemoon/palemoon. The icon for Pale Moon 25 is at /home/myusername/palemoon/browser/icons/mozicon128.png . I then created (as sudo) in /home/myusername/.local/share/applications/palemoon.desktop with text as follows:

Code: Select all

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Name=Pale Moon Web Browser
Comment=Browse the World Wide Web
Keywords=Internet;WWW;Browser;Web;Explorer
Exec=palemoon %u
Terminal=false
X-MultipleArgs=false
Type=Application
Icon=/home/myusername/palemoon/browser/icons/mozicon128.png
Categories=Network;WebBrowser;Internet
MimeType=text/html;text/xml;application/xhtml+xml;application/xml;application/rss+xml;application/rdf+xml;image/gif;image/jpeg;image/png;x-scheme-handler/http;x-scheme-handler/https;x-scheme-handler/ftp;x-scheme-handler/chrome;video/webm;application/x-xpinstall;
StartupNotify=true
Obviously all references to "myusername" should be replaced by your user name.

To inform update-alternatives about the presence of Pale Moon (and make it available as x-www-browser and gnome-www-browser) I did this:

sudo update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/gnome-www-browser gnome-www-browser /usr/bin/palemoon 100
An arbitrary score of 100 has been used here. It can be adjusted according to needs (but I do not know what number signifies - priority?)

Pale Moon is then available to be selected as preferred application for web browser. (If you also occasionally run Firefox adjust the settings in Firefox not to check if it is default browser when it is opened.)

14themoon

Unread post by 14themoon » 2015-09-28, 18:10

Speaking for myself...I hope that Matt is correct and that a way can be found to incorporate an internal installer! That would be a tremendous addition to an already great browser!

benbadge72

Unread post by benbadge72 » 2015-10-01, 11:04

Do not find it too difficult to simply run the installation script from a download directory to update.

$ cd ~/Downloads/PaleMoon/pminstaller 
$ sudo ./pminstaller.sh
The installer then offers a graphical wizard which list options. One is to update the browser. Simply keep abreast of updates via the announcements, run the script and you're good to go. Not sure why it has to be difficult when it genuinely isn't. :roll:

martywd

Unread post by martywd » 2015-10-02, 15:26

benbadge72 wrote:Do not find it too difficult to simply run the installation script from a download directory to update.

$ sudo ./pminstaller.sh
The installer then offers a graphical wizard which list options. One is to update the browser. Simply keep abreast of updates via the announcements, run the script and you're good to go. Not sure why it has to be difficult when it genuinely isn't. :roll:
I am in complete agreement with your thoughts as to the ease of updates and installs with the 'pminstaller.sh' script!

One important correction to you code. Do not use the sudo command.

Your example should have been:

$  ./pminstaller.sh
The '.pminstaller.sh' script will automagically prompt for a 'sudo' password. Running the 'pminstaller.sh' script with the 'sudo' command can lead to unpleasant consequences.
Edit: Fix typo 'Do _not_ ...'

benbadge72

Unread post by benbadge72 » 2015-10-03, 22:41

martywd wrote: One important correction to you code. Do not use the sudo command.

Your example should have been:

$  ./pminstaller.sh
The '.pminstaller.sh' script will automagically prompt for a 'sudo' password. Running the 'pminstaller.sh' script with the 'sudo' command can lead to unpleasant consequences.
Edit: Fix typo 'Do _not_ ...'
Ah. Did not realize the script would ask for sudo, or sudo would lead to unpleasantness. I just used sudo to avoid it needing to ask for installing to /opt, which is a root/sudo operation. Live & learn. :)