Palemoon Build Instruction Sticky

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Lord_Brezel

Palemoon Build Instruction Sticky

Unread post by Lord_Brezel » 2015-08-26, 16:04

I would really like a sticky where the pm4linux maintainer posts the current .mozconfig and further environment details he/she uses to build the official binaries. (mozconfig, dependencies, build dependencies, versions of kernel/gcc/binutils/python/whateverisimportant, optimisation settings and cflags)
I want to replicate the official binaries from source, for my own machines only.

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Re: Palemoon Build Instruction Sticky

Unread post by trava90 » 2015-08-26, 22:14

Hi and welcome to the forum!

You can find this information on the Pale Moon for Linux site:

http://linux.palemoon.org/help/build/

ketmar
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by ketmar » 2015-08-26, 23:18

also, please note that while it's possible to build Pale Moon with gcc other than 4.7, the resulting builds are much less stable. so if you want a smooth experience without occasional crashes, you have to use gcc 4.7.

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2015-08-26, 23:22

ketmar wrote:also, please note that while it's possible to build Pale Moon with gcc other than 4.7, the resulting builds are much less stable. so if you want a smooth experience without occasional crashes, you have to use gcc 4.7.
Actually in my experience, GCC 4.9 and higher do produce stable builds, provided you use --enable-optimize="-O2" rather than -O3.

ketmar
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by ketmar » 2015-08-26, 23:33

i've seen occasional crashes with 4.9, both with "-O2" and with "-O3". yet they were random, and i was unable to reprocude that, and didn't want to run PM with gdb forever. so i switched to 4.7, and haven't seen any crash since. so it's better play safe here, i think. ;-)