[Solved] Videos are not working

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
SvenG

Re: Videos are not working

Unread post by SvenG » 2015-08-08, 12:22

14themoon wrote:Sorry...trying to do my best. Okay my version of Pale Moon is 25.3.2 (x64).
That might be the problem, get the latest version
http://linux.palemoon.org/files/25.6.0/ ... 64.tar.bz2
just extract the archive somewhere, that should result in an folder called palemoon, in the folder you will find amongst others a file named palemoon, run that file (doubleclick). Now see if flash works for you.

It should be cause you have "11,2,202,491" but should have "11.2.202.491" (comma where a period should be), a problem that occurred with Flash on Linux a while ago, Moonchild fixed that in the meantime.
Last edited by SvenG on 2015-08-08, 12:25, edited 1 time in total.

14themoon

Unread post by 14themoon » 2015-08-08, 12:23

Okay...In the Synaptic Package Manager both Adobe Flash Plugin and Flash Plugin are installed. Does that help? Flash Plugin installer is the one that is "checked," if that tells us anything. Appreciate the fine help with this, by the way!

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2015-08-08, 13:41

Before going further, please, if you did not already read that (our posts sorta overlapped) check what I wrote in my previous post
SvenG wrote:
14themoon wrote:Sorry...trying to do my best. Okay my version of Pale Moon is 25.3.2 (x64).
That might be the problem, get the latest version
http://linux.palemoon.org/files/25.6.0/ ... 64.tar.bz2
just extract the archive somewhere, that should result in an folder called palemoon, in the folder you will find amongst others a file named palemoon, run that file (doubleclick). Now see if flash works for you.

It should be cause you have "11,2,202,491" but should have "11.2.202.491" (comma where a period should be), a problem that occurred with Flash on Linux a while ago, Moonchild fixed that in the meantime.
I am fairly sure that this is the problem.

14themoon

Unread post by 14themoon » 2015-08-08, 20:05

Will this simply replace my existing version or will I have to delete the old version? Where do you find notice that there is a new version? I had no idea. Thanks!

14themoon

Unread post by 14themoon » 2015-08-08, 20:13

Okay...I opened and saved the link you sent and that created a package on my desktop. I clicked on that and there was a whole list of stuff. I double clicked on Palemoon and that was then saved to desktop. But I don't know what I should now do with it. The file doesn't seem to want to open. Did I do something incorrectly? I thought I read somewhere that you can upgrade Pale Moon without downloading a whole new program. Is that not correct? Thanks.

14themoon

Unread post by 14themoon » 2015-08-08, 20:16

Ah...Flash does have commas rather than periods! How do I change it? It sounds to easy to just go in and change the commas to periods!

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2015-08-08, 20:39

14themoon wrote:Okay...I opened and saved the link you sent and that created a package on my desktop. I clicked on that and there was a whole list of stuff. I double clicked on Palemoon and that was then saved to desktop. But I don't know what I should now do with it. The file doesn't seem to want to open. Did I do something incorrectly? I thought I read somewhere that you can upgrade Pale Moon without downloading a whole new program. Is that not correct? Thanks.
You have to extract the package, you can do that by opening it in your Archive Manager (Xarchiver) and extracting the entire archive to your desktop. This will create a folder called palemoon on your Desktop, open that one (it should open in your file manager), now make sure you have Pale Moon closed, then run the palemoon file inside that folder (double click should do). Now Pale Moon should start in the recent version and you should be able to watch videos.
14themoon wrote:Will this simply replace my existing version or will I have to delete the old version?
No, this will do nothing, to your system, it is just for testing. If it solves your problem, you can replace the existing version of Pale Moon with this one. Assuming that you have Pale Moon installed in /opt and the archive downloaded to your Desktop folder, open the terminal and use
sudo rm -rf /opt/palemoon
to remove the old version. Then run
sudo tar -xvf "$HOME/Desktop/palemoon-25.6.0.en-US.linux-x86_64.tar.bz2" -C /opt
to add the new version.
Where do you find notice that there is a new version?
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=6549
You can either subscribe to that thread (bottom of the page) or use the RSS feed.

14themoon

Unread post by 14themoon » 2015-08-08, 21:59

So that box shaped package that first appears...do I move that to the archive manager or do I open it first and then move the palemoon file to archive manager? Sorry, this is new to me. As I said, when I clicked on the initial box I had a whole list of things and isolated the "palemoon" file. Not sure which you are talking about opening in the Archive manager. Thanks.

14themoon

Unread post by 14themoon » 2015-08-08, 22:10

I can't seem to open it in Archive Manager. I guess I don't know what that means. I opened archive manager and then tried to open the package within that, but it refuses to open. I must be missing something here. Appreciate your willingness to stick with this. It must be easier than whatever it is I'm doing.

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2015-08-08, 22:29

Okay, you have the file palemoon-25.6.0.en-US.linux-x86_64.tar.bz2 on your desktop (yes, it has a box icon), if you double click on it, it opens in your archive manager (I guess on Xfce/Xubuntu the program is called Xarchiver), it is the standard action for such files. In the menu bar choose Action -> Extract, leave everything in the dialog like it is and click Extract. This ill create the folder named palemoon on your desktop.

Now continue here
SvenG wrote:open that one (it should open in your file manager), now make sure you have Pale Moon closed, then run the palemoon file inside that folder (double click should do). Now Pale Moon should start in the recent version and you should be able to watch videos.
If you know how to handle the terminal, it is easier. First close Pale Moon, then run
tar -xvf ~/Desktop/palemoon-25.6.0.en-US.linux-x86_64.tar.bz2 -C ~/Desktop && ~/Desktop/palemoon/palemoon
That extracts everything and then starts Pale Moon, and it will always work like this, no matter which desktop environment you have installed. That's why Linux people like the terminal.

14themoon

Unread post by 14themoon » 2015-08-08, 22:51

When I get to Extract a box comes up that says, "Another file with the same name already exists in "/home/john/Desktop". It asks if I want to skip or replace. What do I do with this? I'm assuming not replace.

14themoon

Unread post by 14themoon » 2015-08-08, 22:58

Assuming I did it correctly...I think I did...the videos are still being blocked. I opened the file that appeared on the desktop, it did open into Pale Moon, and I tried to open a video. Same as before. Unless I missed something, the problem remains the same.

14themoon

Unread post by 14themoon » 2015-08-09, 03:38

Excelsior! Okay I got it to work! The new version of Pale Moon apparently did the trick. So now what do I do? Do I put the whole string you have there in a terminal? Will that command alone properly install the new version of Pale Moon? I know the command line is the real strength behind Linux...I'm just not very good at it. If I execute that command will it keep all of my contacts, bookmarks, etc intact?

I assume once it's installed I can just delete the package I downloaded for trial purposes, is that correct? Thanks!

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2015-08-09, 08:28

Good Moooooorning Pale Mooooooon!!!

I think, that you most likely use pminstaller to install Pale Moon, but that is just a guess. what we need is the location where it is installed. Open the terminal, you can use copy and paste to enter the following command using the context menu (right mouse button):
locate -r "/palemoon$"
this should give a result, that contains
/opt/palemoon
/opt/palemoon/palemoon
/usr/bin/palemoon

if you get that, make sure all running instances of Pale Moon are closed, should be enough to just close all the windows, but you can run
pkill palemoon
to make sure, then you can use
sudo rm -rf /opt/palemoon
(this requires you to be an admin on that box) to remove the old version and
sudo tar -xvf "$HOME/Desktop/palemoon-25.6.0.en-US.linux-x86_64.tar.bz2" -C /opt
to "install" the new one. Next see if Pale Moon start the way it used to start and check the version number (Help -> About Pale Moon).

If everything is okay, you can remove the stuff from your desktop.

14themoon

Unread post by 14themoon » 2015-08-10, 19:54

Tah-Dah! It worked! Yes it is functioning as before and the version is the one that's supposed to be there. Lovely! I apologize for the time it has taken to solve this but I am grateful for your patience and perseverance. SvenG you are great! I realize that the power of Linux resides in the command line. Do you have any recommendations for books and/or websites that provide a clear introduction to this world? Do you actually have to sit down and memorize script or is it something that you learn and pick as needed for your specific purposes? The books I have seen (even ones allegedly for newbies) tend to be very technical and they assume a lot on the part of the reader. That said, I think there is also a need for more user-friendly GUI distros like Ubuntu and Xubuntu. You of course have access to the command line even in those distros (as we did here) but the hardcore command line people still seem to favor Slackware.

Any suggestions?

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2015-08-10, 20:55

Off-topic:
Having a GUI doesn't conflict with with the command line. In the end the shell is bash (in most cases), no matter what environment you have around it. Having a nice GUI is cool and I don't see anything wrong with it, in particular for beginners. But the command line is often the more user-friendly way because it works on many different systems in exactly the same way and often it is just a copy&paste of commands, for example the standard installation tutorial for *buntu always has the same three lines
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:foo
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install bar

You can do that with your GUI based package management as well but it would be different for each GUI. That is the point where user-friendly != beginner-friendly. Beginners fear it cause it is strange (alien when them come from Windows) to them and they don't understand it, users like it, cause once they understood it, they know it for many different systems.

Books? Don't know, I usually google the stuff I need, there are lots of good websites. For at least a basic understanding that is totally fine, it's not like you need it on a daily basis when you just want to run your system. People just should not be afraid to use it.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2015-08-10, 21:37

14themoon wrote:I think there is also a need for more user-friendly GUI distros like Ubuntu and Xubuntu.
When Windows 8 was released in October of 2012, I decided to see if there was a linux distro I could "escape" to since MSFT was now going in a direction with their Windows operating systems I didn't like. So the very first place I went to was the site "DistroWatch". By the time December of 2012 rolled around, I spent a lot of time watching YouTube videos of many linux distros.

I looked at Ubuntu, Lubuntu and Xubuntu along with others like Zorin and Mint. Zorin was my first linux distro because linux users said it was almost like Windows 7, but I didn't know how to install the proprietary driver for my video card because of the Terminal. I went back to DistroWatch and did more research and watching about a dozen Mint videos, eventually I tried linux Mint as my second linux distro. Using the Drivier Manager in Mint, Mint suggested the proprietary graphics drivers to use for my Nvidia graphic cards in my two desktop tower computers. All I had to do was make a choice on the recommended driver and then click on install.

So I started with Mint 14. I had to use the Terminal in Mint 14 "one" time. Once for a back lighting problem on my experimental laptop with the Intel 4000 graphics chip on the motherboard. Another reason I like Mint, when I hooked up my printer, Mint recognized the printer (Canon MP530 all in one) and then all I had to do was click a prompt and Mint loaded and installed the "proprietary" Canon driver for it. Also, Mint played any YouTube video with sound too right out of the box so the codecs were already installed.

For third party programs not in the Mint repositories, like linux TeamViewer, I learned how to install them if they had a .deb file because Mint comes with the installed GDebi Package Manager. If a program has no .deb file and if I wanted to stay away from the Terminal, I quickly became a fan of the "extract & run" method which I use to run linux Pale Moon, linux SeaMonkey and at the time linux Firefox ESR. I no longer use linux Firefox ESR and you can see that in my screenshot of my present linux Pale Moon running in Mint 17.2 (Rafaela) in the Xfce desktop environment which is the General forum under "How My Pale Moon Looks" topic. It not only shows my linux Pale Moon, it also shows my Mint bottom panel Taskbar and there is no Firefox ESR launcher icon in it.

For programs which I used in Windows, like ImgBurn which don't have a linux version, I did my research and came up with alternatives to ImgBurn like Xfburn which is installed by default in Mint Xfce. Another very good linux program which is in the Mint repositories, but not installed is K3B which does the exact same thing Windows ImgBurn can do. I installed K3B by using the Synaptic Package Manager instead of using Mint's Software Manager. I prefer the SPM over the SM. BTW, Windows ImgBurn was the only windows program which kept me tied to Windows. Now with Xfburn and K3B, I'm Windows free.

Starting with Mint 16 and with 17, 17.1 and now 17.2, I have never used the linux Terminal in Mint. Keep in mind I'm just a non-technical linux distro user, not a power user. If I need to use the Terminal in linux Mint, Mint has a great forums site where you can find lots of info where people will help you just like they do here on the Pale Moon forums site.

With no negatives for and about Mint, this is why I chose and still use Mint today.
Last edited by Night Wing on 2015-08-11, 03:28, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

14themoon

Unread post by 14themoon » 2015-08-11, 01:59

Isn't Korn shell another one? I know some people who are into heavy scripting really like that shell.

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2015-08-11, 07:59

Off-topic:
14themoon wrote:Isn't Korn shell another one? I know some people who are into heavy scripting really like that shell.
There are many different shells https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compariso ... cteristics but for average use, there is nothing wrong with bash. The great thing about bash is, that it is in Linux THE shell, and while you can run others, bash is most likely there. Also getting support for bash related problems is fairly easy. The shell is, actually, the least thing to worry about in the beginning, lots of things do not depends that much on it. BTW: internally the *buntus use dash but the interactive shell is switched to bash.

14themoon

Unread post by 14themoon » 2015-08-12, 15:21

Many thanks for this good information! How do you mark "solved" at the end of the posted topic? I don't see the button for it?