Pale Moon for Linux Ubuntu PPA

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
C1xLb

Re: Pale Moon for Linux Ubuntu PPA

Unread post by C1xLb » 2016-01-03, 05:30

stevepusser wrote:If anyone wants to set up a PPA, here's some instructions: https://help.launchpad.net/Packaging/PPA

I can help with the source files that need to be uploaded; Launchpad does the package building and hosting on their own servers. Unfortunately, there is no equivalent for Debian, so we build packages on our own home machines for our Debian-based releases.
Hi Steve, I'm starting to setup a PPA at https://launchpad.net/~palemoon and could definately use some help with the source files. Everything I've done so far with the PPA is in a VirtualBox machine running Ubuntu 14.04. Let me know if you can lend a hand, I think I just need to sign the Code of Conduct and upload the files.

Thrawn

Unread post by Thrawn » 2016-01-04, 00:28

flyingmarco wrote:I am no fan of an PPA for Palemoon.
I'm definitely a fan - although including it in the core repositories would be even better.
I use the Palemoon installer for Linux that is installing, updating removing and more.
The package manager does all those things and more, too.
PPA is personal and if the person not is able to keep this up to data then it is an shame.
And the difference with the install script is...
Use simply the Linux installer it works great and it is handy too.
I have no objection to the script, but if it's possible to include Pale Moon in the standard package management system, that's a definite win for maintainability. As Moonchild has pointed out, it's beneficial to have just one way of doing things. So, when your package manager runs, checking for updates, it should ideally check for updates of everything. If you have to remember to go and separately run the PM installer script, then that's extra work and hassle for you.

CharmCityCrab

Unread post by CharmCityCrab » 2016-01-04, 01:17

Thrawn wrote:
flyingmarco wrote:I am no fan of an PPA for Palemoon.
I'm definitely a fan - although including it in the core repositories would be even better.
Why isn't Pale Moon in the core repositories and what would need to be done to get it there? Half a million users. Fully open source. Possibly the third most popular Linux-compatible browser.

It seems odd that more Linux distros don't at least include it as an option in their repositories.

Heck, the way Firefox is going and the way Chromium has always been, I would think by now that some Linux distros would have Pale Moon as their default browser. And, of course, if Linux distros were to do that, it not only would increase Pale Moon's user base, it'd also be in front of people who are more likely than average to be developers who can code and might commit patches or even volunteer as extra developers for Pale Moon, which is something I think MoonChild and others have indicated that they would like to see (More volunteer developers).

Thrawn

Unread post by Thrawn » 2016-01-04, 05:14

CharmCityCrab wrote: Why isn't Pale Moon in the core repositories
Probably because it's first and foremost a Windows browser.
and what would need to be done to get it there?
Not sure offhand, but getting it properly packaged up, as a PPA would do, is a good start.
It seems odd that more Linux distros don't at least include it as an option in their repositories.
Moonchild probably hasn't asked them to. Linux support of any kind is relatively new, and I think he's been happy with the install script. Look back through this thread and you'll notice that he was dubious about even a PPA having advantages over the script.
it not only would increase Pale Moon's user base
I agree; plenty of Linux users are likely to browse through the package repositories and discover it.
it'd also be in front of people who are more likely than average to be developers who can code and might commit patches or even volunteer as extra developers for Pale Moon, which is something I think MoonChild and others have indicated that they would like to see (More volunteer developers).
Could be. As it is, the percentage of Linux-based PM users is higher than the percentage of machines running Linux, which suggests that Linux users tend to like PM.

Lord_Brezel

Unread post by Lord_Brezel » 2016-01-04, 10:58

Is much as I'd like if all major distros had it in the default repos, there is some real merit in having them not do this:

The forum crowd around Ubuntu and some other distros is one of the most annoying, toxic, bitchy, demanding, aggressive-pseudo-knowledge-propaganda-infested, I've ever witnessed.
It is good that these people do not come here.
So an official repo on the Palemoon site would be the best tradeoff imo.
I'd gladly maintain an Ubuntu/Debian compatible repo if I'd use those distros. But as I use another distro where anything is compiled from source anyway....

Erwya

Unread post by Erwya » 2016-01-12, 23:29

There is also a security aspect in having a maintained PPA since it automatically provides regular updates for the user.

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2016-01-14, 21:47

C1xLb wrote:
stevepusser wrote:If anyone wants to set up a PPA, here's some instructions: https://help.launchpad.net/Packaging/PPA

I can help with the source files that need to be uploaded; Launchpad does the package building and hosting on their own servers. Unfortunately, there is no equivalent for Debian, so we build packages on our own home machines for our Debian-based releases.
Hi Steve, I'm starting to setup a PPA at https://launchpad.net/~palemoon and could definately use some help with the source files. Everything I've done so far with the PPA is in a VirtualBox machine running Ubuntu 14.04. Let me know if you can lend a hand, I think I just need to sign the Code of Conduct and upload the files.
OK, sorry it took so long to get back to you. Webupd8 seems to have gone bye-bye...

You can reuse the MX 15 source files in the repo here for the PPA: http://main.mepis-deb.org/mx/repo/pool/main/p/palemoon/

You'll have to increment the debian/changelog file with a new stanza and have it list the target Ubuntu release instead of "mx"; just check down at the bottom of the changelog to see what the original PPA used as a guide. Also put yourself as the Maintainer in debian/control/

You also want to show the contents of /debian to Moonchild so the PPA can be listed as a sanctioned contributed build. Shouldn't be any problem if those two changes are all that are made.

C1xLb

Unread post by C1xLb » 2016-01-15, 05:36

stevepusser wrote:You can reuse the MX 15 source files in the repo here for the PPA: http://main.mepis-deb.org/mx/repo/pool/main/p/palemoon/
Cool, thanks Steve, I'll let you know how I get on over the coming days...

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2016-02-01, 21:27

A user discovered why our and the older PPA built-from-source packages did not have the status bar functionality that the precompiled binary package features; it's because the binaries also have a /distribution folder that contains the status bar extension along with another one, but those aren't in the Pale Moon source .7z archive. The user reported that adding that folder into /usr/lib/palemoon gave our build the same functionality.

I can add that folder to our MEPIS and MX package installs to get that working out of the box, if there aren't any restrictions to our use of it in that way.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-02-01, 21:39

So the package maintainer was not completing post-compile packaging properly. That's nice.

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2016-02-01, 23:52

Matt A Tobin wrote:So the package maintainer was not completing post-compile packaging properly. That's nice.
Was there any guide as to where to get that folder and make sure it was installed along with the compiled binaries in the package?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-02-01, 23:56

Code: Select all

mach package
Then you do what you need from a fully stripped and packaged tarball to get it into a ubuntu package.

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2016-02-02, 02:41

OK, got it. I see the status bar extension is in the source, despite what I said before, in /integration. Mea culpa!