[Solved] Installer - Xubuntu 15.10 - Not Working

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
branwerks

[Solved] Installer - Xubuntu 15.10 - Not Working

Unread post by branwerks » 2015-06-23, 13:36

Installer crashes when I click install, I don't even get to the point of entering my password. This happens when running from the terminal as root. I get a UTF-8 error when clicking on the script file when follwing suggested directions, it'll go no further. Xubuntu is the distro used in the how-to video. I understand I'm using a development build but everything else on my system is working flawlessly, very stable. The only reason I'm trying to install is because I'm experiencing double icons for Palemoon in Cairo Dock. I create a custom launcher which works perfectly, but then get an open window launcher icon also. I went through the same process for a different 3rd party FF build based on the latest release and it works as it should. I know this is a bit of a different issue, but related because if I wasn't getting double icons I wouldn't bother trying to install Palemoon. I never have, simply download, extract and create a launcher but apparently it's not going to be that easy with Cairo Dock.
Last edited by branwerks on 2015-06-23, 16:20, edited 1 time in total.

squarefractal

Re: Installer - Xubuntu 15.10 - Not Working

Unread post by squarefractal » 2015-06-23, 13:50

Please execute the installer from the terminal by typing in /path/to/installer/pminstaller.sh and post the output here.

branwerks

Re: Installer - Xubuntu 15.10 - Not Working

Unread post by branwerks » 2015-06-23, 14:18

I got it, my own stupid mistakes. This clearly points out that my issue is with Cairo Dock. Anything other than creating a custom launcher and manually entering paths to the executable and icon from the program folder I extraced into my home directory, doesn't work. Creating a .desktop file and dragging and dropping launcher from the applications menu doesn't work. I guess I'm living with double icons or going back to xfce4 panel unless there's a 3rd alternative ? Created a new thread for the real issue.