pminstaller updated to v0.2.0!

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

pminstaller updated to v0.2.0!

Unread post by trava90 » 2015-06-10, 14:22

The Pale Moon for Linux installer has been updated to version 0.2.0! The following changes have been made:

** Show sudo prompt text
** Download Pale Moon for Linux from our new server

Pale Moon for Linux 25.5.* will be the final release that is hosted on SourceForge. All future versions will be hosted on our own in house server (I'll post more details on this soon).

Previous versions of pminstaller will be able to install Pale Moon 25.5.*, but all future updates WILL REQUIRE pminstaller v0.2.*, so please download the new version now to prevent any issues with updating in the future.

You can grab the new version here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/pm4linux/files/pminstaller/

Note that you will still be able to download the tarballs for those who prefer not to use the installer.
Last edited by trava90 on 2015-06-10, 20:21, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added comment for those who do not use the installer

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: pminstaller updated to v0.2.0!

Unread post by Night Wing » 2015-06-10, 15:28

Forgive me if I seem to be a little dense this morning.

I don't like to install my linux Pale Moon in linux Mint and this is the main reason why I don't use the PMinstaller. I prefer to directly download the tarball and then use the "extract & run" method to run Pale Moon since I create my own Pale Moon launcher icons using gui windows without installing linux Pale Moon.

So, will the tarball for linux Pale Moon be done away with?
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

squarefractal

Unread post by squarefractal » 2015-06-10, 17:14

Night Wing wrote:So, will the tarball for linux Pale Moon be done away with?
No, these are still accessible from:
http://linux.palemoon.org/installer/dow ... 686|x86_64}

Let's say you want to download the latest versions (25.5.0 as of now), so the URL would be:
http://linux.palemoon.org/installer/download.php?v=25.5.0&a=i686 (32-bit)
http://linux.palemoon.org/installer/download.php?v=25.5.0&a=x86_64 (64-bit)

Moonchild/Travis: Why are you forbidding the directory listing of <http://linux.palemoon.org/files/>?
trava90 wrote:all future updates WILL REQUIRE pminstaller v0.2.*
Why don't you do a redirect to "LPMO"?

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2015-06-10, 20:17

Hi Night Wing! You will absolutely still be able to download the tarballs and extract them if that is your preference. :) I will have a download page set up before the next release for those who prefer not to use the installer.

EDIT: I just added a comment to the original post to clarify this.
squarefractal wrote:Moonchild/Travis: Why are you forbidding the directory listing of <http://linux.palemoon.org/files/>?
Because I've had access to the server for less then a week and have not gotten everything configued yet.
squarefractal wrote:Why don't you do a redirect to "LPMO"?
It's something we may do, but see point above.
Last edited by trava90 on 2015-06-10, 20:24, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added comment

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-06-10, 21:11

squarefractal wrote:Moonchild/Travis: Why are you forbidding the directory listing of <http://linux.palemoon.org/files/>?
Because it's a web server, not an ftp!
Denying directory listings is common practice for web servers.

I'm sure we'll get an index page up as things progress.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2015-06-10, 23:34

Moonchild wrote:I'm sure we'll get an index page up as things progress.
Everything that is currently on SourceForge (links to tarballs, previous versions, wiki, etc.) should be live on the new site by the time the next vesion of Pale Moon is released.

andy80
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by andy80 » 2015-06-11, 00:58

trava90 wrote:Pale Moon for Linux 25.5.* will be the final release that is hosted on SourceForge. All future versions will be hosted on our own in house server (I'll post more details on this soon).
Just a note: take care of the account and of the content of the SF page, to avoid future problems as happened to GIMP-win and nmap recently with SF.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2015-06-11, 02:00

trava90 wrote:
Hi Night Wing! You will absolutely still be able to download the tarballs and extract them if that is your preference. :) I will have a download page set up before the next release for those who prefer not to use the installer.

EDIT: I just added a comment to the original post to clarify this.
Thank you for your reply. Your gracious help to maintain linux Pale Moon is greatly appreciated by linux users like myself.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2015-06-11, 07:47

andy80 wrote:Just a note: take care of the account and of the content of the SF page, to avoid future problems as happened to GIMP-win and nmap recently with SF.
Thanks for the info andy80!
Night Wing wrote:Thank you for your reply. Your gracious help to maintain linux Pale Moon is greatly appreciated by linux users like myself.
You're welcome! I'm glad to do it!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-06-11, 10:08

I'll also make sure to make clear announcements on different channels when the in-house server is set up to an acceptable state.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

squarefractal

Unread post by squarefractal » 2015-06-12, 06:57

BTW, is there some reason the contents are being moved to the in-house server?

(Although, given some of Sourceforge's shady practices, it might be quite prudent.)

opera1217b1863

Unread post by opera1217b1863 » 2015-06-23, 14:13

I've used the installer on (Eeepc-4G, a.k.a. EeePC 701) Lubuntu 12.04, it worked OK.
The only thing I (a complete Linux novice but with some QNX4 background) could not figure out - the program's icon - it never appeared for the installed PaleMoon v25.5.0 (I had to assign some system icon instead).

Is it a glitch?
How can I correct it?

squarefractal

Unread post by squarefractal » 2015-06-24, 02:02

opera1217b1863 wrote:The only thing I (a complete Linux novice but with some QNX4 background) could not figure out - the program's icon - it never appeared for the installed PaleMoon v25.5.0 (I had to assign some system icon instead).
Look here: http://sourceforge.net/p/pm4linux/wiki/ ... dmenuentry