[SOLVED] menu icons

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
cecilieaux

[SOLVED] menu icons

Unread post by cecilieaux » 2015-04-24, 21:22

This is a frivolous newbie question, admittedly. I would like to get the Palemoon icon to put on the menu in Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon.

1. Where can such an icon be found?
2. How do I install it for use?
Last edited by trava90 on 2015-05-09, 21:32, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked SOLVED

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Re: menu icons

Unread post by trava90 » 2015-04-25, 01:14

If you use the installer, it will add Pale Moon to the menu automatically after installation. Alternatively, you can do it manually by creating /usr/share/applications/palemoon.desktop in a text editor with the following contents:

Code: Select all

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Name=Pale Moon Web Browser
Comment=Browse the World Wide Web
Keywords=Internet;WWW;Browser;Web;Explorer
Exec=palemoon %u
Terminal=false
X-MultipleArgs=false
Type=Application
Icon=palemoon
Categories=Network;WebBrowser;Internet
MimeType=text/html;text/xml;application/xhtml+xml;application/xml;application/rss+xml;application/rdf+xml;image/gif;image/jpeg;image/png;x-scheme-handler/http;x-scheme-handler/https;x-scheme-handler/ftp;x-scheme-handler/chrome;video/webm;application/x-xpinstall;
StartupNotify=true
Or a third option: right click your Cinnamon menu, choose Configure, and the bottom button on that screen will open a menu editor.

cecilieaux

Re: menu icons <SOLVED>

Unread post by cecilieaux » 2015-04-28, 18:22

I was actually just trying to find out where palemoon was and where its icon is stored.

At least in Linux Mint 17.1, palemoon is at

/opt/palemoon25.1.0

and the pale moon icon is at

/opt/palemoon25.1.0/browser/icons/

The file is mozicon128.png

I selected the .png file in the menu editor and -- presto! --- the nice pale moon was there!

Joel Cairo

Re: menu icons

Unread post by Joel Cairo » 2015-04-29, 20:36

Excuse me not directing this more appropriately (perhaps. Disturbed sleep, so forced myself to stay awake so tonight should sleep at a civilised hour, consequently on autopilot). At least installing distros in VMs is easy. Fed up with VMWare, so reinstalling in VirtualBox. First three were Mint Mate, Cinnamon, and Xfce (all x86_64). PM put on all using the installer (0.1.8). In Cinnamon the Menu shortcut was created without an icon.
Off-topic:
Jeez, now I've got to choose a DE for Debian! Anything but Gnome!

Time for bed methinks.
Edit: Having installed both Mate and Cinnamon on the metal, there was a slight delay in the correct icon appearing, but it was longer in Mate. They both appeared within moments. And after wiping the disk again (settling on just Mints KDE and Cinnamon) there was no delay at all.
Off-topic:
And here I am in Cinnamon! After a weekend doing little other than installing distros (8 off) and no sleep since Saturday.