[SOLVED] HTML5 etc

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Joel Cairo

[SOLVED] HTML5 etc

Unread post by Joel Cairo » 2015-04-21, 19:51

Specifically, on YouTube. Video/Graphics is something I've never been particularly clued up on.

How come, when I removed Flash in Windows I could still watch YouTube, while in Linux I've had to re-install it?

Am I doing something wrong? Not doing something right? Do I need to find a free codec (H.264, for instance - which the Nvidia driver does support)? I.E. is this a proprietry codec thing?

If I think of any more stupid questions, I'll get back!

(Mint AMD64, Nvidia GT610).
Last edited by Joel Cairo on 2015-04-22, 02:30, edited 1 time in total.

dinosaur
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: HTML5 etc

Unread post by dinosaur » 2015-04-21, 20:44

Hard to tell without knowing more about your system...

Simply right-click on the YouTube video and select "About the HTML5 player" to see what's there and what's missing.

For me, it shows: HTMLVideoElement H.264 WebM VP8
Note that H.264 and WebM VP8 are provided by libraries (*NOT* by your graphics card driver), so you need the corresponding libraries installed.

martywd

Unread post by martywd » 2015-04-21, 21:30

To extend, just slightly, on @dinosaur typed....

This link will show what your browser will do (or will not do) at present ==> https://www.youtube.com/html5

Joel Cairo

Unread post by Joel Cairo » 2015-04-22, 01:35

dinosaur wrote:Hard to tell without knowing more about your system...
What else is relevant? KDE Edition? Dual core 3.2 GHz Athlon 64?
Simply right-click on the YouTube video and select "About the HTML5 player" to see what's there and what's missing.
Yeah, I got to there. And it is working, now, anyway (Flash installed again, but disabled). However, mine has the white-on-red exclamation point by H.264.

Thanks. Guess I'd better find which library it's in. I wonder if it's in one I uninstalled along with Flash.

Edit: libvdpau seems to be the one, and I do have it. Gonna have to look into this in more depth!

Joel Cairo

Unread post by Joel Cairo » 2015-04-22, 02:25

Found the answer in viewtopic.php?f=37&t=7374
With media.gstreamer.enabled set to 'true' H.264 is working!