Pale Moon Crashes All Flash Content

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
11ryanc

Pale Moon Crashes All Flash Content

Unread post by 11ryanc » 2015-04-01, 15:09

I'm using the latest Pale Moon 4 Linux Build on Ubuntu MATE 14.04 LTS. Distro shipped with Firefox, but I got a little fed up with FF. Didn't even follow my system icon set like the older versions did :roll:
So I installed a copy of both PM and Fossamail, and set them as defaults. Everything was great, but I stumbled upon one very vigorous problem. Any form of Flash content totally crashes the browser. It goes unresponsive to the point where I have to kill the process, forcibly. This is a totally clean profile of Pale Moon, very few addons or user settings. The Flash copy is v. 17. Some people I know on another forum were all running the Flash copy from Chrome, so I followed. Wanted it up to date since I have to use a lot of flash based platforms on a daily basis. Can't let that fall outdated. I had zero issues on Firefox, but sadly PM isn't taking it well.
For reference, this is what I did:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8 && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install freshplayerplugin
sudo apt-get install pepperflashplugin-nonfree && update-pepperflashplugin-nonfree --install
sudo apt-get purge flashplugin-installer

sudo apt-get purge freshplayerplugin pepperflashplugin-nonfree && sudo apt-get install pepperflashplugin-nonfree
update-pepperflashplugin-nonfree --install
sudo apt-get install freshplayerplugin

-Would really appreciate if somebody could help me troubleshoot this, thanks

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Pale Moon Crashes All Flash Content

Unread post by Night Wing » 2015-04-01, 15:42

I use linux Pale Moon 25.3.1 in linux Mint. Even though Mint is based on Ubuntu, the Mint developers don't recommend Flash version 17. I think 17 is for Windows and I could be wrong on this, but I don't think there is a linux flash 17 version.

The linux flash recommended by the linux Mint developers is the one I use in Mint which is 11.2.202.451 and is regularly updated by the linux Update Manager in Mint.

With linux flash 11.2.202.451, linux Pale Moon has never crashed on me because of any flash content on any site.

Why don't you uninstall Flash 17 through your Synaptic Package Manager and try the flash version I use and see if it solves your problem.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

11ryanc

Unread post by 11ryanc » 2015-04-01, 15:52

Night Wing wrote:I use linux Pale Moon 25.3.1 in linux Mint. Even though Mint is based on Ubuntu, the Mint developers don't recommend Flash version 17. I think 17 is for Windows and I could be wrong on this, but I don't think there is a linux flash 17 version.

The linux flash recommended by the linux Mint developers is the one I use in Mint which is 11.2.202.451 and is regularly updated by the linux Update Manager in Mint.

With linux flash 11.2.202.451, linux Pale Moon has never crashed on me because of any flash content on any site.

Why don't you uninstall Flash 17 through your Synaptic Package Manager and try the flash version I use and see if it solves your problem.
Sounds like the logical action to do then. Do you by any chance know how I would fully remove, and install the default Linux Flash player again though?

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by riiis » 2015-04-01, 16:14

For Pale Moon in Linux Mint, I use pepperflash 17 through the Fresh Player Plugin, with no issues. For Ubuntu/Linux Mint, installation of the Fresh Player Plugin may be easier from the ppa here, or from the deb package here.
Last edited by riiis on 2015-04-01, 17:05, edited 2 times in total.

11ryanc

Unread post by 11ryanc » 2015-04-01, 16:33

riiis wrote:For Pale Moon in Linux Mint, I use pepperflash 17 through the Fresh Player Plugin, with no issues. For Ubuntu/Linux Mint, installation of the Fresh Player Plugin may be easier from the ppa here, or from the deb package here. Note that for the Fresh Player Plugin to work requires that Google Chrome also has been installed.
That's pretty much what I already installed, didn't have Chrome as a dependency though. Just now installed it. I don't understand why PM is the only application that is totally refusing this.

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by riiis » 2015-04-01, 17:21

Apparently, I used the same webupd8.org ppa and instructions that you did, but with different results. However, a short time after installation, I tried updating the fresh player plug-in, and got errors. So, I disabled any further ppa updates. And then, I reinstalled the fresh player plugin using the latest deb package. And, since flash is now provided from Google Chrome, I make sure Chrome is always up-to-date as well, whether or not I actually use Google Chrome.

When I installed the fresh player plug-in, I already had Firefox, Opera 12, and Pale Moon installed. All three browsers began using the pepperflash 17 version immediately, rather than the old version of flash (which is also still installed). Are you sure Pale Moon is actually using the pepperflash 17 version, rather than flash 11 or other flash version?

11ryanc

Unread post by 11ryanc » 2015-04-01, 17:30

riiis wrote:Apparently, I used the same webupd8.org ppa and instructions that you did, but with different results. However, a short time after installation, I tried updating the fresh player plug-in, and got errors. So, I disabled any further ppa updates. And then, I reinstalled the fresh player plugin using the latest deb package. And, since flash is now provided from Google Chrome, I make sure Chrome is always up-to-date as well, whether or not I actually use Google Chrome.

When I installed the fresh player plug-in, I already had Firefox, Opera 12, and Pale Moon installed. All three browsers began using the pepperflash 17 version immediately, rather than the old version of flash (which is also still installed). Are you sure Pale Moon is actually using the pepperflash 17 version, rather than flash 11 or other flash version?
Well as of a few moments ago, everything works fine now.. Not sure what I did either. Enabled Compiz and installed Chrome. I also use Flashblock, and only permit the Flash conrent I want to run.
Well IDK, but everything is ok now. I'll keep thread opened and report if any further issues occur.

chreid

Unread post by chreid » 2015-04-01, 20:51

Night Wing wrote:I use linux Pale Moon 25.3.1 in linux Mint. Even though Mint is based on Ubuntu, the Mint developers don't recommend Flash version 17. I think 17 is for Windows and I could be wrong on this, but I don't think there is a linux flash 17 version.

Me too but about:addons tells me to update. Which is impossible as 202.451 is the final ESR.

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2015-04-01, 20:59

chreid wrote:Me too but about:addons tells me to update. Which is impossible as 202.451 is the final ESR.
If that happens it is most likely related to the blocklist.xml, no need to worry. Yours is either old or maybe not yet updated on 25.3, not sure about 25.3.1.

EDIT: it's in 25.3.1 too, wait for the update or get the blocklist manually from http://blocklist.palemoon.org/25.3.1/blocklist.xml

chreid

Unread post by chreid » 2015-04-01, 21:32

Sorry I'm clueless here! :?
Brand new to Linux.
What update are you referring to? .
And what exactly is a "blocklist""?

Bear with me please..... :(

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2015-04-01, 21:42

Oh, good. Sorry for being too fast.
chreid wrote:And what exactly is a "blocklist""?
The blocklist is part of Pale Moon. Flash on Linux is buggy, it uses commas instead of fullstops in the (or at least one) version number, that doesn't break its function but the version check in Pale Moon, that should have been fixed in 25.3 but unfortunately it wasn't. When you install Pale Moon the blocklist is in the browser directory (/opt/palemoon/browser) but it will grab a later version that will be stored in your profile directory this later version that you could also manually download from the link I have posted doesn't contain the check for Flash.

To make it short: everything is right on your computer, just the version check is wrong.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-04-02, 09:20

I'm working on fixing the version number check. Basically, if your Flash version is listed with commas instead of periods, the check can get confused.
Letting the browser get the latest blocklist from the blocklist server (happens automatically in the background) should fix this problem though, since the Linux flash check has been temporarily removed in it. If you somehow still have issues with it, you can disable the blocklist from about:config until the next release, but please do remember to re-enable it as it serves multiple purposes.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

chreid

Unread post by chreid » 2015-04-02, 09:36

Many thanks for your replies. I'll wait and see what happens. At least I know what's wrong.
Sort of. :roll:

[I'm familiarising myself with Linux as a sort of Microsoft future-proofing. Bit of a learning curve. Using Mint 17.1 Cinnamon (Rebecca). Good choice?].

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2015-04-02, 10:35

At least you did nothing wrong. :)
chreid wrote:[I'm familiarising myself with Linux as a sort of Microsoft future-proofing. Bit of a learning curve. Using Mint 17.1 Cinnamon (Rebecca). Good choice?].
Off-topic:
Yes, if you like it, it's a good choice. Linux is a lot about liking and taste. If you don't like it, you can still use another later on.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2015-04-02, 13:01

Moonchild wrote:I'm working on fixing the version number check. Basically, if your Flash version is listed with commas instead of periods, the check can get confused.
In my Plugins in the Add-ons Manager, the Flash version is listed with commas instead of periods. But I've never had any problems.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2015-04-02, 13:24

Night Wing wrote:
Moonchild wrote:I'm working on fixing the version number check. Basically, if your Flash version is listed with commas instead of periods, the check can get confused.
In my Plugins in the Add-ons Manager, the Flash version is listed with commas instead of periods. But I've never had any problems.
Because you have the right blocklist. This problem only is a problem on new profiles.

11ryanc

Unread post by 11ryanc » 2015-04-02, 21:54

SvenG wrote:At least you did nothing wrong. :)
chreid wrote:[I'm familiarising myself with Linux as a sort of Microsoft future-proofing. Bit of a learning curve. Using Mint 17.1 Cinnamon (Rebecca). Good choice?].
Off-topic:
Yes, if you like it, it's a good choice. Linux is a lot about liking and taste. If you don't like it, you can still use another later on.
Off-topic:
Mint is a wonderful choice. Nice selection of desktops, fairly good on resources, Ubuntu package base, super easy to customize. Linux is a learning curve though, and it's mostly about taste. It's typically flexable, and you make it your own. I use Ubuntu MATE 14.04 LTS. It's a lot like Mint too.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2015-04-02, 22:31

Off-topic:
Linux Mint in either 17 (Qiana) or 17.1 (Rebecca) are great linux distros for someone coming from Windows who wants to try a linux distro. And linux Pale Moon works great on both Mint versions.

11ryanc

Unread post by 11ryanc » 2015-04-03, 00:06

Night Wing wrote:
Off-topic:
Linux Mint in either 17 (Qiana) or 17.1 (Rebecca) are great linux distros for someone coming from Windows who wants to try a linux distro. And linux Pale Moon works great on both Mint versions.
Off-topic:
I've been using PM on Ubuntu derivitives, all the way to Manjaro (Arch based). Cool part is that Pale Moon is now in the Arch User Repository :)