[SOLVED] Not getting red underline for misspelled words

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

[SOLVED] Not getting red underline for misspelled words

Unread post by ron_1 » 2015-03-31, 23:57

I notice when using PM4L I'm not getting the red squiggly underline for misspelled words. I'm pretty sure my PM4L settings are the same as PM in Windows. Is this a Linux problem?
Last edited by ron_1 on 2015-04-01, 02:25, edited 1 time in total.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Not getting red underline for misspelled words

Unread post by Night Wing » 2015-04-01, 00:16

I get the red squiggly line under the word which is misspelled in "both" Windows Pale Moon and linux Pale Moon.

I use 32 bit Windows Pale Moon 25.3.1 in 64 bit Windows 7 and 64 bit linux Pale Moon 25.3.1 in 64 bit linux Mint 17 so the bit difference in Pale Moon between Windows and Mint does not matter with regards to the red squiggly line for misspelled words.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

x-15a2

Unread post by x-15a2 » 2015-04-01, 00:42

This thread will give you the info that you need: http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6850

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2015-04-01, 01:21

x-15a2 wrote:
This thread will give you the info that you need: http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6850
I added the string from the link, but I'm still not getting the underline on misspelled words. [When it didn't work, I closed and restarted PM, still didn't work.]

x-15a2

Unread post by x-15a2 » 2015-04-01, 01:43

helloimustbegoing wrote:I added the string from the link,
It's an integer, not a string.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2015-04-01, 01:45

Sorry, that's what I meant.

x-15a2

Unread post by x-15a2 » 2015-04-01, 01:51

Sorry, that's all I've got, works for me and setting the various values work as advertised. Only other thing I can think of is verifying Options\Advanced\General - Check my spelling as I type.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2015-04-01, 01:54

x-15a2 wrote:
Only other thing I can think of is verifying Options\Advanced\General - Check my spelling as I type.
It's checked. This is a head scratcher. I can't think of any other settings to verify.
Night Wing wrote:
I use . . . 64 bit linux Pale Moon 25.3.1 in 64 bit linux Mint 17 so the bit difference in Pale Moon between Windows and Mint does not matter with regards to the red squiggly line for misspelled words.
I'm using the exact same verisons of both Palemoon and Linux Mint (I'm on 17.1), both 64-bit. So this one is stumping me.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2015-04-01, 02:10

I found the problem. I didn't have a dictionary downloaded. So I guess you have to manually download a dictionary for PM4Linux.

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2015-04-01, 08:00

helloimustbegoing wrote:I guess you have to manually download a dictionary for PM4Linux.
No, not really, Mint should have hunspell installed. Hunspell and Pale Moon use the same dictionary, the installer should have asked for that but you can easily do it manually. First remove the old dictionary if there is one
sudo rm -r /opt/palemoon/dictionaries
next symlink to the hunspell dictionary
sudo ln -s /usr/share/hunspell /opt/palemoon/dictionaries
So you always have the same dictionaries in almost all applications.

Source: http://sourceforge.net/p/pm4linux/wiki/ ... tallation/

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2015-04-01, 11:02

helloimustbegoing wrote:I found the problem. I didn't have a dictionary downloaded. So I guess you have to manually download a dictionary for PM4Linux.
In my linux Mint, linux Pale Moon is "not" installed in either Mint 17 (Qiana) on my first desktop tower computer or in Mint 17.1 (Rebecca) which is on my second desktop tower computer. Since linux Pale Moon isn't installed, it works by "extract & execute".

I've never downloaded any dictionary for linux Pale Moon in my "extract & execute" setup and I still get the red squiggly line under any misspelled word.
Off-topic:
Even thought linux Pale Moon isn't installed in my different Mints, I used gui windows to make the Pale Moon launcher icon for the Mint panel taskbar in Mint 17 and (17.1).
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

access2godzilla

Re: [SOLVED] Not getting red underline for misspelled words

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2015-04-01, 13:28

This thread is already marked as solved, however, things could be explained better in this way:

PM already ships with an en-US dictionary. This, however, gets removed when the installer finds hunspell dictionaries installed. Possibly the OP had hunspell installed at some point and has now removed it, so the dictionary doesn't work any more.

Just install hunspell dictionaries from your package manager and you should be fine.

L Bell

Unread post by L Bell » 2015-06-27, 13:49

This issue is not solved. (as per me and the previous poster)

I followed the instructions (installed hunspell from the package manager in Linux) and am still not getting the squiggly line when text is mis-typed. Closed PM and re-ran it to make sure changes were freshly loaded.

Recently updated to PM 25.5 on Linux. (from 24.7.1)

EDIT: Am calling now calling with the Atom / WinXP PM 25.5, & the spelling notifier works fine under this.

Should I downgrade back to PM Linux 24.7.1, or has another solution been discovered?

We love PM for Linux 25.5, and don't want boot into Win unless necessary.

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2015-06-27, 15:03

L Bell wrote:Should I downgrade back to PM Linux 24.7.1 [...] ?
No, it's almost a year old and terribly outdated! So for whatever-you-believe-in's sake, don't do that.

First make sure that spell checking isn't just de-activated (context menu on any textarea).

Open your file manager and open the folder /opt/palemoon. There should a a folder called dictionaries. Is it there? If no, run
in your terminal (whatever your distro/desktop environment ships with), this will add hunspell dictionaries (assuming now, that you have hunspell installed) to Pale Moon.

If it is there, open it and see what is in it. Is it empty? If the answer is yes, run
sudo rm -r /opt/palemoon/dictionaries
in your terminal to remove the empty folder, followed by

If you did either of the above you should have a folder called dictionaries (actually, this is just a link to another folder but it appears like a folder) that contains files such as en_US.dic or for example de_DE.dic if you have a German language pack installed.

As an alternative to hunspell you can also install one of the dictionaries from here: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/language-tools/. But you can choose only one of these methods.

If still something is odd, type about:config in your address bar and search layout.spellcheckDefault, this should be 1 (or 2), if it is 0 spell checking is deactivated.

L Bell

Unread post by L Bell » 2015-06-28, 01:01

SvenG,

Many thanks for your comprehensive answer!

(semi-off topic) At this moment, I'm running Linux, but am running PM 25.5 Atom/WinXP under that compatibility layer called Wine! Of course, the spell check works as it does under Win.

I will not downgrade back to PM Linux 24.7, and will follow your other directions. Already updated hunspell, but it is possible that it didn't 'take', or something.

So, I will execute the 'sudo' commands in the terminal/console and examine the related folders. Am sure it will fix this issue.

I'm wondering why the author of Tahrpup 6.0.2 (author of original Puppy Linux) would use an older version of PM Linux in his recent distribution? (I think it was just a couple of months ago).

Spell checking is active (1) in about:config, but will try "2" before re-downloading hunspell.

Again, thanks for the detailed suggestions! LB

L Bell

Unread post by L Bell » 2015-06-28, 11:16

SvenG wrote:
Open your file manager and open the folder /opt/palemoon. There should a a folder called dictionaries. Is it there?
Yes, it is there and contains three files:

en_MED.dic, en_US.aff, and en_US.dic

The en_US.dic is 686,462 bytes in length.

The layout.spellcheckDefault in about:config is set to '1'. I tried '2' but haven't seen any results yet.

I will reboot Linux and see if it makes a difference. Thanks for the help!

L Bell

Unread post by L Bell » 2015-06-28, 12:31

SOLVED (again!)

After trying everything and still having no 'squiggly underline', I took SvegG's alternate advice, and got a dictionary from the addons.mozilla.org/firefox site,

Actually, I installed, and then removed an add-on named United States English Spellchecker. I believe it re-ticked the 'Check Spelling' option that comes up with a right click.

Can't guarantee I will use good grammar, but the wrong words should be spelled right! ; )