Location of blocklist in profile folder?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Location of blocklist in profile folder?

Unread post by ron_1 » 2015-03-22, 07:05

I just installed Linux Mint Xfce, and I'm having this problem. The only blocklist.xml file I can find is in /opt/palemoon/browser/ but it won't let me delete it. I can't find the Moonchild productions folder.

Help, anyone?

squarefractal

Re: Problem with latest PM 25.2.1 and flash player on Arch

Unread post by squarefractal » 2015-03-22, 10:28

Mods/admins: please split the thread.

Open your home folder in a file manager and press Ctrl + H to show hidden files. The .moonchild productions folder should now be visible.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Location of blocklist in profile folder?

Unread post by ron_1 » 2015-03-22, 18:03

That worked, but there isn't any blocklist file in there, or in any of the subfolders. Now what?

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2015-03-22, 18:19

If there is no blocklist, it possibly wasn't downloaded yet. I have a profile that I created a while ago and used only for testing, that has no blocklist.
helloimustbegoing wrote:I just installed Linux Mint Xfce, and I'm having this problem
What problem do you have exactly?

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2015-03-22, 18:22

I'm getting the message that Flash is vulnerable even though it's the current version, and it's disabled. And it (the version number) is showing with commas instead of periods.

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2015-03-22, 18:28

Using 25.3? That shouldn't happen at all due to:
Added a special case check for the Flash plugin version check on Linux failing due to commas instead of periods in the version string.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2015-03-22, 18:31

Yes, I am using 25.3.0 (64 bit if that makes a difference).

Leave it to me to be the odd one out. So what can I do about it?

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2015-03-22, 18:49

Hmm, the block list for 25.3 should be there
http://blocklist.palemoon.org/25.3.0/blocklist.xml
but it doesn't exist, so maybe that is why it doesn't get downloaded. you could try the blocklist from there
http://blocklist.palemoon.org/25.2.1/blocklist.xml
and see if that solves the issue.

EDIT: Good, asked Moonchild, there is no blocklist for 25.3.0 so far, so the one in the install folder should be used instead.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-03-22, 19:14

There should not be any commas in the version number in 25.3 :problem:
The fix actually replaces commas with periods so it shouldn't possible that you still have commas...
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2015-03-22, 19:20

In the plugin manager there are commas
commas.png
or my font has extremely long periods...

Shouldn't be marked a vulnerable anyway. At least here it isn't.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-03-22, 19:30

Hmm.. I'm not sure if the display actually gets fixed up then (I probably should do it regardless - commas have no reason to be in a version number), but for the version check it should certainly use a proper format.

@hello* : Are you sure you have the latest version of Flash?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2015-03-22, 19:33

I did a comparison between the blocklist in my profile folder and the default one and the only differences are related to flash, then I renamed the one in my profile folder, so PM uses the default one and.... flash is marked vulnerable.

Did another comparison, the blocklist I have is
http://blocklist.palemoon.org/25.2.1/blocklist.xml
so this could solve the issue for now.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-03-22, 20:01

The one that came with the browser should be the same though... if it isn't then I'll have to check again what's in the source tree.

My bad, of course it shouldn't be the same, because I changed the version check in 25.3 and the 25.3 embedded blocklist therefore has the extra flash blocking versions in it -- but it SHOULD not trip over the commas in 25.3 so something else is still wrong.

I'm changing the check to be less specific - it should always fix up commas to periods, regardless of plugin used or locale. I think the issue might be that the very strict MIME check doesn't work to determine if it "is flash". And that would be a problem since it wouldn't fix up the version in that case. Maybe dealing with having to oddly install the flash player, like symlinking and the likes as needed on some distros not registering the type as a result... :think:

In any case, I see no harm in correcting binary-embedded version string stupidity in-browser. The browser needs to be able to check the version properly, so it can fix up silly commas in favor of having a broken check :P -- I'm not entirely sure why Mozilla's patch made it as strict anyway... "Only do this if on Linux AND if the plugin has x-shockwave-flash as a registered MIME type"... while any comma in any plugin version would break the check.

EDIT: The blocklist I just put on the server for 25.3.0 is not the same as the one that comes with the binary (a good thing in this case since the check isn't working properly yet in all cases as you found out)

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2015-03-22, 20:22

Moonchild wrote:EDIT: The blocklist I just put on the server for 25.3.0 is not the same as the one that comes with the binary (a good thing in this case since the check isn't working properly yet in all cases as you found out)
Just tried :thumbup: Thanks.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2015-03-23, 00:27

Okay, works for me too, but I still have the commas. Is the correct place to put the blockfile in /home/<name>/.moonchild productions/pale moon/xxxxxxxx.default/ ?

[MC, I am using the latest version.]

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-03-23, 00:37

Yes, you will still have the commas, since apparently it was not entirely fixed (Mozilla's fix works for some and not for others). I'm working on fixing that in the browser.

Just using the one served by the blocklist server will do fine, no need to manually juggle the files.