PaleMoon for Elementary Linux

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Hextejas

PaleMoon for Elementary Linux

Unread post by Hextejas » 2015-03-21, 14:21

PM is 25.3.0
Elementary is Luna ?? based on Ubuntu 12.04

I did this based upon the release notes.
====================================
Installing using the plugin tar.gz:
o Unpack the plugin tar.gz and copy the files to the appropriate location.
o Save the plugin tar.gz locally and note the location the file was saved to.
o Launch terminal and change directories to the location the file was saved to.
o Unpack the tar.gz file. Once unpacked you will see the following:
+ libflashplayer.so
+ /usr
o Identify the location of the browser plugins directory, based on your Linux distribution and Firefox version
o Copy libflashplayer.so to the appropriate browser plugins directory. At the prompt type:
+ cp libflashlayer.so <BrowserPluginsLocation>
o Copy the Flash Player Local Settings configurations files to the /usr directory. At the prompt type:
+ sudo cp -r usr/* /usr
=====================================
I did all that and still in PM I get the message that I need to update flash, Flash shows in the extensions but it is disabled and I cannot enable it.
Firefox and Chromium work OK.

thanks

squarefractal

Re: PaleMoon for Elementary Linux

Unread post by squarefractal » 2015-03-22, 04:53

Post the output of:

Code: Select all

ls -l /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

Hextejas

Unread post by Hextejas » 2015-03-22, 12:09

Here is the result

Code: Select all

sunny@sunny-ET1831:~$ 
sunny@sunny-ET1831:~$ ls -l /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
total 18800
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       37 Mar 19 15:09 flashplugin-alternative.so -> /etc/alternatives/mozilla-flashplugin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 19248240 Mar 19 15:52 libflashplayer.so
sunny@sunny-ET1831:~$ 

squarefractal

Unread post by squarefractal » 2015-03-22, 15:43

Just update Flash from your package manager, seems like Flash is already installed with the system's package manager.

If the problem persists, you could set extensions.blocklist.enabled to false in about:config.

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2015-03-22, 20:41

This could be the same issue as here
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=7747
Pale Moon 25.3 and the default blocklist mark the latest flash as vulnerable. Moonchild has updated the blocklist and it should be grabbed from the server automatically soon.

Anyway, you should also consider to remove the libflashplayer.so from /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins cause flashplugin-alternative.so links to the exact same file in another directory (flashplugin-alternative.so ->/etc/alternatives/mozilla-flashplugin->/usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so), that might or might not cause confusion, better safe than sorry.
Off-topic:
You know elementary OS is about to be updated to a new version (Freya) based on Ubuntu 14.04 soon[tm]?