[Solved] Default browser

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Joel Cairo

[Solved] Default browser

Unread post by Joel Cairo » 2015-02-25, 23:45

Hi,

A new one on me. Presumably following the updates I did yesterday, as this has never happened before. Using Mint 17.1 KDE edition, I just fired up PM and got the 'Pale Moon is not your default browser' pop-up. It should have been, but I clicked to make it so, closed and opened it again and got the pop-up again. I checked in preferences and sure enough in Pale Moon it was set as default. So I went into System Settings and sure enough there was no default browser selected. So I did so and now it is and remains default.
I don't actually recall if I did it this install, but I usually set it as default in System Settings. Is 'default browser' a setting that just doesn't work in PM 4 Linux?
Just curious.

Shane
Last edited by Joel Cairo on 2015-04-22, 02:33, edited 2 times in total.

squarefractal

Re: Default browser

Unread post by squarefractal » 2015-02-26, 02:18

Well, it very much depends on how you installed/updated Pale Moon. If you used the installer, and opted for a uninstallation and installation (and didn't select "Upgrade" directly) to upgrade, then, this is expected.

Joel Cairo

Unread post by Joel Cairo » 2015-02-26, 03:01

Yeah, this was a new installation.
Okay, it's 3 am and the sleeping pills are kicking in, but why should it matter whether it's an upgrade? I mean, that the built-in Pale Moon 'default browser' option either works or it doesn't, surely? I guess I'm just suggesting that if it does nothing, why not remove it?

squarefractal

Unread post by squarefractal » 2015-02-26, 05:14

Okay, I understand what you're talking about: the "set as default browser" in Pale Moon does not work as you expect it to.

Strictly speaking, this is not a problem with Pale Moon, it does try to set some defaults by updating the ~/.local/share/applications/userapp-Pale\ Moon-*.desktop and ~/.local/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache; but there is no guarantee that these attempts will be considered by the environment you are operating in. Your environment simply may be using other combinations to invoke Pale Moon other than the standard invocation with xdg-open (which AFAIK is what Pale Moon manipulates).

This is the reason why you need to set the browser as default from places other than from within Pale Moon.

Joel Cairo

Unread post by Joel Cairo » 2015-02-26, 16:05

Right. So this is due to the great variety of distros and DEs? Fair enough.

Meanwhile I've been able to stop the tearing (editing xorg.conf and confirming it is an nVidia issue) which I never could do in XP! Now if I can just find how to change the ugly 'show desktop' icon...