Recommended distros for Palemoon?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
abjbhat

Recommended distros for Palemoon?

Unread post by abjbhat » 2015-01-17, 14:03

Hello,

I'm trying out various Linux distros at the moment. Palemoon works beautifully on Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon. However, I have other issues with Linux Mint and I'm not keen on other Ubuntu based distros like Xubuntu for now.

I'm considering an Red Hat based distro like either RHEL or CentOS. Are there RPMs available for Palemoon? If not, does compilation of the source work for Redhat/CentOS?

Thanks

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Recommended distros for Palemoon?

Unread post by Night Wing » 2015-01-17, 14:11

Have you tried a Debian based distro? Linux Pale Moon works very well in the SolydXK distros. I have one laptop which I have two hard drives for it. One of the hard drives is loaded with 64 bit SolydX with the XFCE desktop environment. SoldydXK comes in both Business and Home editions.

If you're interested, the link to SolydXK is below.

http://solydxk.com/
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

squarefractal

Unread post by squarefractal » 2015-01-17, 15:05

The Pale Moon binaries for Linux should work on almost all distros, and do not require installation. There is a script by the name of 'pminstaller.sh' that's provided to help people install Pale Moon, but the archives can themselves be extracted into an arbitrary directory and run from there.

Of course if you follow the second method, you do not get the benefit of having menu entries added to your application menus.

There's a caveat though: Redhat based distros generally contain plugins in /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins instead of the standard /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins. Put the following line in /etc/profile to get plugins working:

Code: Select all

export MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH=/usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins
And as for your second point: manual compilation works and the official builds are made in a CentOS 6.5 environment.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-01-17, 15:13

As stated above, any distro should work with Pale Moon. Though, personally I would recommend a fedora-based distro. Either Fedora main-line or centos/rhel. That being said I do kinda like the binary/source hybrid gentoo distro called Sabayon but I would call it an intermediate skill distro.

I personally despise debian-based distros including ubuntu. Though if you MUST go debian-based then my best recommendation is Mint.

I would stay away from slackware or arch like the plague.

abjbhat

Unread post by abjbhat » 2015-01-17, 15:30

Thanks for the recommendations. I will try them all out. My biggest problem is out of the box Nvidia closed source/proprietary driver support. RedHat (linux distros in general) have had issues with this in the past. Anyway, thanks again.

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2015-01-18, 06:05

I personally use Manjaro (an Arch-based distro), and have been very pleased with it. I have also used Fedora in the past, and had a good experience with it, as well.

Generally, Mint is my recommendation for people who are new to Linux, since it is very user friendly and almost everything always works out of the box.

But it really comes down to this: try several distros until you find one you like and that works for you! ;)

0strodamus
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by 0strodamus » 2015-01-19, 03:26

No problems with Pale Moon on Arch Linux here. There are packages in the AUR for the pre-compiled binary version or you can compile the source code yourself. I was new to Linux when I started using Arch and recommend it. The Arch wiki is a great resource and you'll be motivated to learn by putting together your own Arch-based desktop.

Joel Cairo

Unread post by Joel Cairo » 2015-01-20, 13:10

I use Mint KDE Edition. I have tried the others and there are issues in this one or that one, not in the others. It's the one I'd recommend, unless your other issues are Mint rather than Cinnamon specific - or you don't like KDE.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2015-01-20, 14:30

abjbhat wrote:My biggest problem is out of the box Nvidia closed source/proprietary driver support. RedHat (linux distros in general) have had issues with this in the past.
Both of my desktop tower computers came with Nvidia graphics cards in them. Both of them are now 5 years old. One has a (GeForce) GT440 and the other has a (GeForce) GT 220.

In both Mint and SolydX right out of the box, I've never had any problem loading the Nvidia proprietary drivers in both distros. Both desktops use the same proprietary 331.113 video driver and work just fine without any problems.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Joel Cairo

Unread post by Joel Cairo » 2015-01-20, 17:00

Night Wing wrote:
abjbhat wrote:My biggest problem is out of the box Nvidia closed source/proprietary driver support. RedHat (linux distros in general) have had issues with this in the past.
Both of my desktop tower computers came with Nvidia graphics cards in them. Both of them are now 5 years old. One has a (GeForce) GT440 and the other has a (GeForce) GT 220.

In both Mint and SolydX right out of the box, I've never had any problem loading the Nvidia proprietary drivers in both distros. Both desktops use the same proprietary 331.113 video driver and work just fine without any problems.
Same here - GT610. Always had Nvidia cards. Last box I fitted an MB with an Nvidia chipset and onboard Geforce - after the previous card died and suddenly I couldn't run Aero anymore. The current one I built with an MB with onboard ATI - but then went and got the Geforce card anyway. Originally the idea was because the ATI worked in Linux without having to go through the palaver of disabling Nouveau, trying to stop the X Server from running. It is such a relief that I don't have to go through that anymore! That was such a pita for so long that I still can't quite believe it is so easy, now, to install the kosher Nvidia software, that I'm not going to wake up any moment and find it was all a dream!

Be nice if I working Realtek drivers were included and I didn't still have to keep disconnecting and reconnecting the WiFi chip until the fixed ones came down from Github, mind, but I guess you can't have everything!

layingback

Unread post by layingback » 2015-01-30, 11:15

You might want to consider the new Ubuntu-Mate. Released a few months ago at 14.10 by an Arch Trusted maintainer and member of Mate team at Ubuntu, it has already be ported back to 14.04 LTS. 15.05 Alpha is already out. And there is an active, responsive support team - meaning hours and days to get resolution not weeks/months/years.

https://ubuntu-mate.org/

If you liked Ubuntu 10.10 then you'll like UM. It's lighter and more responsive than the that 6 year old 10.10 version too - which is almost unheard of progression in this day and age!

It'll run happily on older hardware too - anything 10.10 would run on will be fine. There is even a "for Windows XP" theme for those wanting to replace XP without investing in new hardware. Buttons/panels/etc placed to match XP.

[ Not directly connected with UM team, although I did help out on 14.10 beta and met up with Wimpy as I was so impressed with the lengths he was going to to get this distro out. ]