[Solved] SWF files cannot be opened

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
kmikazuki

Re: SWF files cannot be opened

Unread post by kmikazuki » 2015-01-15, 23:26

fargred wrote:in /usr/share/mime/packages/freedesktop.org.xml, saved the file, restarted the browser and nothing has changed. Pale moon still suggests to open with plugin Adobe flash or save the file, and when OK button is pressed, it opens flash plugin preferences window.
Sorry for the late reply, you need to use the command:
sudo update-mime-database /usr/share/mime

After you modify the file, otherwise the changes will not recognized.

Giorgos67

Unread post by Giorgos67 » 2015-01-31, 01:42

Sorry for jumping so late at this thread, but I'm not really sure, that I understood the problem.

If the problem is opening local SWF (older) games (not videos), I have a suggestion, because I faced this problem earlier:

1) Most of these games, comes with an EXE, which is just an SWF loader (nothing complicated) and runs very well at Wine.

2) The best native (not emulated) solution at my opinion, is creating a hidden config file, at your home directory, named

Code: Select all

.mime.types
Open it with your favorite editor (eg. Kate for KDE) and add this line:

application/x-shockwave-flash       swf swfl
This is supposed to work with all Mozilla based browsers, without restart.
It has the downside, that is user-level based. In case of multiple users, you have to create one config file, for each one.

fargred

Unread post by fargred » 2015-02-27, 21:27

Giorgos67 wrote:2) The best native (not emulated) solution at my opinion, is creating a hidden config file, at your home directory, named

.mime.types
Yep, that actually worked :D
I’ve just searched google again and found that suggestion here http://askubuntu.com/questions/478169/w ... -swf-files so I’ve returned here to mark this as solved.

Giorgos67

Unread post by Giorgos67 » 2015-02-27, 23:05

Nice!!! :thumbup: