PM 25.1.0 build environment, did something change?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
KaoDome

PM 25.1.0 build environment, did something change?

Unread post by KaoDome » 2014-11-15, 23:01

Hi, I have to run an old Ubuntu Lucid (10.04) Linux in a server.

Up to now I was using Pale Moon to keep up with times when I had to use a browser there but with the last release there's a symbol missing in a library making it impossible to work. Did something change? What are the minimum versions of GTK+ for example for it to work?

Thanks for your time anyway.

The error displayed when launched from a terminal is: palemoon: symbol lookup error: /opt/palemoon/libxul.so: undefined symbol: gdk_window_get_visual

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: PM 25.1.0 build environment, did something change?

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-11-16, 01:51

When was the last time you built Pale Moon?

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-11-16, 05:56

@trava, are you using a different setup for building Pale Moon binaries (other than the CentOS6/devtoolset1.1 combination)?

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2014-11-16, 07:18

access2godzilla wrote:@trava, are you using a different setup for building Pale Moon binaries (other than the CentOS6/devtoolset1.1 combination)?
No, I am using CentOS 6.5 with devtoolset1.1 using this as a guide. Nothing else has been installed or updated, with the exception of dependency requirements.

KaoDome

Unread post by KaoDome » 2014-11-16, 09:50

I was using the binaries installed through the Pale Moon installer for Linux.

I'll look into building it myself today following that guide.

KaoDome

Unread post by KaoDome » 2014-11-16, 15:21

Hi, I just finished building it. I used a VM with the same version of Ubuntu the server runs and so far everything works as expected.

I had to edit a line of code though because of the older toolchain that ships with it (4.4.3).

pmsrc/toolkit/crashreporter/google-breakpad/src/common/dwarf/dwarf2reader.cc:

Code: Select all

@@ -39,7 +39,7 @@
 #include <string.h>

#include <map>
-#include <memory>
+#include <memory.h>
 #include <stack>
 #include <string>
 #include <utility>
It may have had something to do with a GTK+ update in CentOS if there was one. Oddly though Firefox builds keep working on this system, maybe they are indeed using CentOS 5.

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-11-26, 07:03

@trava90, could you list the versions of the related packages installed on your system?

EDIT: okay, I see a number of packages that have been updated. Many of them are from the base repo, so finding older versions would be near impossible...
I could probably share the VM appliances but I'm likely cross my data cap if I am to upload ~3 GB of data :( Maybe Moonchild can share his own, or trava90 could move to CentOS 5?

EDIT 2: The latter seems to be the most preferable solution.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-11-26, 11:41

No, please do not change to CentOS5. That is a terrible suggestion, a2g -- CentOS 5 is incompatible with Pale Moon because of libc calls, anyway.

Also, KaoDome, you'd be better off to not build the crashreporter on Linux; it's pointless since those reports would not be submitted, to begin with.
Would have saved you a headache and the need for editing there ;)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2014-11-26, 15:23

access2godzilla wrote:@trava90, could you list the versions of the related packages installed on your system?
I'm not around the computer with my build environment at the moment, but I will try to PM you a list later today.
access2godzilla wrote:EDIT: okay, I see a number of packages that have been updated. Many of them are from the base repo, so finding older versions would be near impossible...
I have not updated any packages with the exception of the few required to resolve dependencies for the build tools.

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2014-11-28, 21:56

Looks like the problem had to do with some incompatibilities with the gtk lib 2.24 I built Pale Moon with. I have rebuilt the release using the more compatible gtk lib 2.20, and have replaced the builds on SourceForge with these new ones.

You can grab the new builds from the Pale Moon for Linux page.

Sorry for the inconvenience!