Re: What to do when a website doesn't recognize Pale Moon

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2014-10-21, 14:16

Moderator note: split off from FAQ for being a support question.
Moonchild wrote:Announcements->Change in approach for Pale Moon web identification
... the users have spoken, and Pale Moon has listened.
Thanks for all the work and for your explanations. You correctly tried to be "unreasonable" :mrgreen: (see citation) but this time the lazy website designers won.

The reasonable man tries to adapt himself to the world
The unreasonable man tries to adapt the world to himself
Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man (G.B.Shaw)

I am mainly a lurker in this forum. I did the transition to Pale Moon (Linux) because of the Australis nightmare, and have been making propaganda for PM since then in my signature. I did the transition with PM 24 because that's happened to be there when I did it. I prize interface stability, and am not one of those guys who go after the latest update, and use very few addons. The postings about PM 25 have so far kept me away from trying it.

But I have a question. Would there be a way to download a version of Pale Moon and run it "nearly in parallel" with an older version so one can do a live assessment of the interface without interfering with the profile of the older one ?

This is the sort of thing I usually do when (every 4 years more or less) I change machine and OS version. In this case it is easy because I keep both machines on for a while, generate some local test accounts on the new machine where I test the UI of various components (e.g. window manager or browser) both in native mode, and importing my preferences.

What I did last February when I moved from the very old Firefox version bundled with my OS to the latest pro-tempore (fortunately still 28 at the time) was not the same but equivalent. I did the firefox download not as root but under my individual account, so I had two executables with two different paths. I could just backup the profiles and run one at a time to compare.
In general (for packages which have make and make install, I often skip make install and keep stuff I only use under my individual account).

Is there any way to download PM onto a Linux system as e.g. a tarball which is not installed, but which one can extract and run "in place" delaying installation until one is contented ?
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-10-21, 15:59

Lucio Chiappetti wrote:Is there any way to download PM onto a Linux system as e.g. a tarball which is not installed, but which one can extract and run "in place" delaying installation until one is contented ?
My linux Pale Moon 25.01 is "not" installed in linux Mint 17 since I prefer "extract and run".

Just download the tarball in the bit you prefer in a place where you want. (I download everything to my Desktop instead of the Downloads folder.) (I also have my Mint setup to "single click" instead of "double click" so my instructions below will reflect this.)

Then right click on the tarball and a window will pop up. In the window choose and left click "Extract here". The folder that is created is named, "palemoon". Left click on the this folder and another window opens up showing many files.

Scroll on down to where you see the file named, "palemoon". This is the executable file. Right click on this file and choose "execute" or "run" depending on the linux distro you are using. Then linux Pale Moon should run without it being installed.

Doing it this way won't give you a Menu entry under internet. However, you can make a desktop launcher icon and also a Panel taskbar launcher icon using GUI windows. If you look at this link below, you will see screenshots of how my "not installed" linux Pale Moon looks with my Panel Pale Moon launcher icon as well as a screenshot of my Desktop where you can see my Pale Moon desktop launcher icon. Just scroll on down the page until you see my two posts to someone else.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2484&start=90
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2014-10-21, 16:25

Night Wing wrote:
Lucio Chiappetti wrote:Is there any way to download PM onto a Linux system as e.g. a tarball which is not installed, but which one can extract and run "in place" delaying installation until one is contented ?
Just download the tarball in the bit you prefer in a place where you want.
This link
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pm4linux/files/25.0.1/
might be helpful.

And always a good idea in such a case: backup your profile.

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2014-10-22, 08:46

Night Wing wrote: My linux Pale Moon 25.01 is "not" installed in linux Mint 17 since I prefer "extract and run".

Just download the tarball in the bit you prefer in a place where you want. [...]
Then right click on the tarball and a window will pop up. [...]
Doing it this way won't give you a Menu entry under internet. However, you can make a desktop launcher icon and also a Panel taskbar launcher icon using GUI windows.
I'm not the click-and-icon type, I still live mainly on the command line of an xterm :mrgreen:
Last time (the only time) I downloaded Pale Moon I was offered a pminstaller-0.1.5.tar.bz2, which, once unzipped and untarred, contained a README and a script ~/pminstaller.sh ... this required root password, and wanted to be run in a chrooted xterm, otherwise it wouldn't open the DISPLAY.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)