[Solved] Hanging & Rendering via Linux Mint x86-64

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Uppity
Moon lover
Moon lover

[Solved] Hanging & Rendering via Linux Mint x86-64

Unread post by Uppity » 2014-09-21, 04:52

Running Linux Mint 17 Qiana on an i3 laptop with 6 gb ram.

This music radio site will not load and hangs when allowing flash via Noscript.:
http://radiospringfield.com/stream/kbflfm/

Yahoo mail renders poorly and there is no access to other folders.
I tried disabling hardware acceleration, but no difference.

Palemoon is running 8% to 12% to 20% cpu, so I suppose that looks good.

Brand new to Palemoon.
Have restored the Firefox profile via Febe, including extensions, bookmarks, etc.

Other than these 2 issues, it seems like a very nice alternative to Firefox 28 - so far.
I will not allow the update manager to update Firefox to a newer version and have completely removed Thunderbird.

Is there a solution?
Dell Inspiron 15-7567 Gaming Laptop i5, 8GB Ram, 256GB SSD. Win 10 in a severely reduced partition. Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon
Dell Inspiron 15Z, i3, 6 GB RAM. Win 8 is gone. Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Hanging & Rendering via Linux Mint x86-64

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-09-21, 12:45

@Uppity

I'm running 64 bit linux Mint 17 (Qiana) in XFCE desktop environment using 64 bit linux Pale Moon 24.7.2 on three of my computers (2 desktops, 1 laptop). The two desktop towers have i7 processors in them. The first desktop has 24 GB of memory, the second desktop has 16 GB of memory. The laptop has an i5 processor with 16 GB of memory.

I clicked on your radio link and went straight to the site without any hanging. All three computers play the music. (BTW, nice easy listening music on that station.) I also have a Yahoo account and my email account renders properly. I have no problems accessing my folders or viewing anything in those folders.

The linux flash version I'm using is (11.2.202.406). I do not use NoScript. I use Adbock Edge. Checking my linux Taskmanager, Pale Moon is using 1% CPU.

When I installed linux Mint 17 (Qiana) on my older desktop computer for the very first time, I "did not" transfer my profile over from Windows Pale Moon into linux Pale Moon. All I did was back up my bookmarks and nothing else from Windows Pale Moon. Once linux Pale Moon was up and running, I manually recreated my Pale Moon settings (Options, about:config) and extensions.

I believe in starting "fresh". In other words, I like to avoid "Murphy's Law" if you get my drift which also means I would not have transferred a Firefox profile into linux Pale Moon. If I was just using Firefox, I would have backed up my json bookmarks and nothing else.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Uppity
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by Uppity » 2014-09-22, 02:24

Hi, Night Wing.

Glad you liked the easy listening music. It sure beats the 2-note brainwashing mantras that pass for music, these days.

Last night, I found a solution, on these Palemoon forums, to the Yahoo rendering issue. Yahoo inserted an 'm' for mobile into the address bar. I removed that and did something else to fix that problem and Yahoo rendering fine, now.

The music site is no longer a problem, other than the occasional interrupts and periods of silence. Some of that I attribute to lack of advertisers, but I wonder if there might be something with the wifi or the radio station.

I was running Palemoon without benefit of actual installation, from my Documents folder, no less. Today, I installed it to my Home /opt folder, and rather than restore extensions from Febe, I followed your lead and downloaded and installed most of them from Mozilla.

Palemoon is running so efficiently that it doesn't even show up in the System Monitor. I don't know if that will change on reboot, but I expected it to show up after restarting the browser several times during installation.

As usual, operator error. Liking it mo' better than Firefox, so far...

Thank you.

And thanks to who ever moved this post to the right location. I'm still learning my way around.
Dell Inspiron 15-7567 Gaming Laptop i5, 8GB Ram, 256GB SSD. Win 10 in a severely reduced partition. Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon
Dell Inspiron 15Z, i3, 6 GB RAM. Win 8 is gone. Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-09-22, 03:00

Glad to see you solved your problem.
Uppity wrote:I was running Palemoon without benefit of actual installation
I also do NOT install linux Pale Moon in either Mint 17 (Qiana) or when I was using linux SolydX. I use the executable file in linux Pale Moon which some prefer as, "extract and run".
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox